Ishoot - L-bracket Mini Review

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
As I run 3 main camera bodies (Nikon D500, Olympus OMD EM1 MK II and a new Panasonic G9), getting L brackets for each of them (especially ones that work with and without the battery grips) was proving difficult. I know that manufacturers like Really Right Stuff and Kirk make dedicated brackets for the D500 and Olympus, however they are really expensive (at nearly £150 each), and the problem I had with these was that you not only had to get different brackets for each camera model, but also different brackets depending on if you wanted the camera's battery pack on or not. I thought surely there must be an easier and cheaper solution, well it turns out there was.

I've seen quite a few "universal" brackets, but typically most of them were OK when using without the battery pack, but too short on the vertical side when used with the battery pack. I then came across the "iShoot Improved Universal Vertical Quick Release Plate L Bracket Grip for Arca Fit" (phew what a mouthful), on Amazon - see here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/iShoot-Imp...d=1516088731&sr=8-1&keywords=ishoot+l+bracket so decided to give one a punt.

Well it arrived yesterday and I've tried it out on all 3 cameras, with and without battery grips (except the G9 for which I don't have a battery grip yet), and I'm pleased to confirm that not only do the range of adjustments suit all 3 cameras, but that that the unit is really solid. I took it to the test by shooting both the EM1 MK II and G9 in high res mode on the tripod using the brackets in both orientations, and the results in all tests was tack sharp.Best of all it's £25.00 only and suits all cameras vs several hundreds for dedicated units. Thought this might be useful for folk like me that use more than one camera model ?

Anyway a few shots showing it in both orientations with all 3 cameras. Also showing my Christmas present form the wife - my brand new Manfrotto 410 Junior geared head complete with Hejnar Arca Swiss quick release conversion :D

Olympus OMD EM1 MK II

Nikon D500

[/url]

https://flic.kr/p/22rfQRm

Last edited:
Panasonic G9

[

As with most quick release L brackets, when using with a camera with a fully articulating screen (EM1 MK II and G9), it does restrict a little how much you can move the screen. However if you extend the base plate to it's max, you can get much more.

As an example, here's the G9 setup.

With the vertical plate tight against the camera body (maximum opening)

With the vertical plate at maximum extension

I doubt I'd need any more movement than that when using any of the cameras on a tripod ?

Also, the good thing about these 3 bodies is that the EM1 MK II and G9 both have their remote release socket on the right side of the camera (when looking from the back - so on the shutter release side), and the D500 has the ubiquitous Nikon screwed pin socket on the front of the body, so all 3 cameras are fully usable with remote releases.

Hope I've not bored you and this is of some use.

Last edited:
Looks good, how do you secure the 'rails' into the correct position/length?

There are 2 small silver levers (see pic below) which are very stiff and firmly lock each of the two sliding rails into position. Once locked the unit is solid and means it's dead easy to change the length of the rails on the fly without tools

I’ve got one of these and work well for the money. I don’t use it often enough to warrant the cost of a specific made one for my camera..

Thanks for posting this, have the same thought process as I have a couple of different cameras that I use with and without grips and I don't want 4 dedicated plates. I looked at the Area Swiss Universal L-bracket but could not justify the price. I think I will try one of these shoot brackets and see how I get on.

Panasonic G9

[

As with most quick release L brackets, when using with a camera with a fully articulating screen (EM1 MK II and G9), it does restrict a little how much you can move the screen. However if you extend the base plate to it's max, you can get much more.

I doubt I'd need any more movement than that when using any of the cameras on a tripod ?

Also, the good thing about these 3 bodies is that the EM1 MK II and G9 both have their remote release socket on the right side of the camera (when looking from the back - so on the shutter release side), and the D500 has the ubiquitous Nikon screwed pin socket on the front of the body, so all 3 cameras are fully usable with remote releases.

That's great
Appreciate you posting tbis.
Very useful with the pics.

Panasonic G9

[

That looks a useful gadget but In all other aspects I like the bracket that I have as it exactly. Cradles thee base plate of the camera with no possibility of any movement at all. Which is why I would like to go down the modification route.

Back