Isit worth upgrading?

Name
suze
Edit My Images
No
I love my D60, however ive been on argos website browsing and seen the d5000 (i want to stick with nikon).... for £529ish...(with 18-55 lens)....

I wanted a new lens for my camera and was going to spend upto £500 on this, however is the d5000 a good upgrade (and even a good idea)!???

Id have to sell my D60 (its 4 months old and has a 3 year breakages thing - i paid £70 odd extra for this)..... cause i love my camera however i dont want to have to buy specific af-s lenses all the time!!!

dont even D90 me as i cant afford it :LOL:

thoughts/do i stick or sell???

Looking at your options Suze, I'd say stick with the camera you have and plough your pennies into glass. With another Lens or two, you are going to tie yourself to Nikon for a bit anyway.

You will get better pics with better Lens' and you can start saving again for a new body then. Once you have the funds for a new body, you will have a choice of Lens' already and you never know about that D90, you may pick up a bargain in the classifieds in here ;)

Now I know you dont want to hear this but you obviously havent had the D60 for long.

Keep using it for a few months more and save for the D90, the D5000 is a bit of a sideways step.

Upgraded to the D90 from D60 myself and the step up is amazing. The ISO performance being a big perk.

Its worth it just for the motorised body, for instance the Nikon 50mm 1.8 can be had for under £100, to get the same focal length prime for the D5000 that autofocus's will set you back well over double which goes well towards the difference.

I'm not into Nikon (I'm the other side ;)) But if you are happy with the body you have I would look at improving glass until such time as I couldn't do any better and it was the sensor etc letting me down. Of course, I'm not good enough to need more than a P&S so am over camera'd already :D

thanks both - would like to hear all sides!!

it was just a sugestion as tbh the D60 is fine for my needs and buying the glass im going to do! howver... just an option before i spend £500 on the next lens :)

D90 can wait till after crimbo me thinks :LOL:

hiya Suzie,

well, I've just got a D5000 s/h and it is a fantastic camera. It has great AF, and the sensor is top notch, even shots at 6400 ISO are more than good. It is a big upgrade from your D60...however,,, again it doesn't have the built in motor, so unfortunately you will have to still get AFS lenses. This is a right pain, as I'm wanting a 70-300.Now if it was a D90, no problems, but as it doesn't have an in built motor, I am limited to effectively the Nikkor 70-300 AFS, which is a cracking lens, but my pocket would be very sad. I've been at Conwy reserve today, and having live view on my old 600mm is very good, as I can now clearly focus, also the screen is useful for awkward angles As you know, I have the 55-200, now also got the 18-70 AFS (cracker). You're not too far away, so more than welcome to meet up in one of the nearby towns or something and have a go of mine. ;)

While the D5000 is better than the D60, I would wait and save for a D90.

hiya Suzie,

well, I've just got a D5000 s/h and it is a fantastic camera. It has great AF, and the sensor is top notch, even shots at 6400 ISO are more than good. It is a big upgrade from your D60...however,,, again it doesn't have the built in motor, so unfortunately you will have to still get AFS lenses. This is a right pain, as I'm wanting a 70-300.Now if it was a D90, no problems, but as it doesn't have an in built motor, I am limited to effectively the Nikkor 70-300 AFS, which is a cracking lens, but my pocket would be very sad. I've been at Conwy reserve today, and having live view on my old 600mm is very good, as I can now clearly focus, also the screen is useful for awkward angles As you know, I have the 55-200, now also got the 18-70 AFS (cracker). You're not too far away, so more than welcome to meet up in one of the nearby towns or something and have a go of mine. ;)

thanks both good views there :)

i will hang fire and just go for lenses at the moment and then upgrade probably after christmas :)

Whilst it's a better camera, I wouldn't say it was an upgrade. More of a sideways step. I know you don't want to hear it, but an upgrade would be to the D90 level, and if you look here you'll notice the prices of the D90 are around £600 ish, and until the end of April Nikon have a £60 cashback offer, so you're then pretty close to your price bracket.

Your camera and £500 will get you the D90. I would go for the upgrade! If you stick with the D60 you need to spend £250 for an AFS 50f1.4 just to get a motor or £100 for the AF 50mm f1.8 (ok it is not quite as good but the cheaper lens is very good) so that saves £150 straight away so making the upgrade even cheaper :LOL:

Seriously though the D90 is worlds apart whilst the D5000 is a slight improvement and step sideways.

:agree:

You'll soon get frustrated with a D5000 when you realise you want a body that allows for AF lenses, like I did when I had my D60. I went to the D90 and haven't looked back.

thanks all :)

i wanted the 1.4 af-s 50mm however i do a lot of horse and dog portraits.... and this lens wont be enough for that though will it?

How much would i get back for my 4 month old D60 body only? bearing in mind i paid almost £400 and i have an extra 3 years cover @ £70...??

I sold my 7 month old immaculate D60 with 18-55 lens a few weeks ago for £300

That came with a bag, D60 book and 1GB memory card. Sadly because brand new entry level Nikon cameras are available so cheap its driven down the cost of the D60

However, the one thing missing on the D90 that is INVALUABLE, is the vari angle LCD. Thats enabled me to get so much more creative shots than would have been possible normally. Swings and roundabouts.

tbh theres nothing wrong with my D60a and i love it :)

however i will definately upgrade (anothe rnikon as those are the lenses im buying)!! probably back end of this year - towards christmas/sales etc (if thats even possible)!....

so fo rnow i will hang fire for now and save my ££ up.... :)

Upgrading the kit 18-55 for a constant 2.8 either Sigma or Tamron will make difference to how you shoot and results.

will start looking round over the next week or two

i also use the 70-200mmaf-s that i use now more than any (fab lens!).... just really miss my 70-300 to be honest!!! :(

i really would like the 70- 300 (af-s) and the 2.8 lol!

Just to add to the above, I got the D5K 4 months ago, great camera, but so frustrated with high cost of usable glass. :bang:

D90 if you want to upgrade.

Back