Isle of Man TT advice

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
The ferry all paid for, house booked. Im off to the TT for the first time for 10 days:D
I know its a while yet but Im after any advice and tips I can get please.
Things like the best places for the photos,
any places not worth going to,
How easy is to get about during races/pratice,
Are you allowed to cross/walk on track between races?

Not much to ask I know :D
and while Im asking the winning lottery numbers for next week.

I was brought up on the IOM but haven't been back in a long time.
There are some superb places for shots on most of the 37 3/4 mile course of "ordinary" roads.
If you want potential jump shots then i suggest Ballaugh Bridge over the NW side of the course ..It is a fast straight stretch that approaches a small hump bridge.
There are some very very fast sections of the course particularly near the "Highlander pub" assuming it still exists about 7 miles from the start near Glen Vine if I recall correctly.
Fast bends are in abundance all over the course.
As for getting about then if you do some studying of a decent map beforehand then it is possible to get around mos of the course when the races are in place and the roads closed be aware however if you are inside the course then you will be much more restricted and stuck there until the roads are re opened.
As a spectator, you may be allowed to cross the course at certain spots if you get a "nice" marshal but to be honest ity was something that was being tightened down on when I was last there

I was brought up on the IOM but haven't been back in a long time.
There are some superb places for shots on most of the 37 3/4 mile course of "ordinary" roads.
If you want potential jump shots then i suggest Ballaugh Bridge over the NW side of the course ..It is a fast straight stretch that approaches a small hump bridge.
There are some very very fast sections of the course particularly near the "Highlander pub" assuming it still exists about 7 miles from the start near Glen Vine if I recall correctly.
Fast bends are in abundance all over the course.
As for getting about then if you do some studying of a decent map beforehand then it is possible to get around mos of the course when the races are in place and the roads closed be aware however if you are inside the course then you will be much more restricted and stuck there until the roads are re opened.
As a spectator, you may be allowed to cross the course at certain spots if you get a "nice" marshal but to be honest ity was something that was being tightened down on when I was last there

Thanks Asha, I have just got an OS map of the isle to study

In addition do some u tube searches and you'll get some "on bike videos which may help you decide where to go.
If you need more specific help then drop me a line and I'll help if I can

"the "Highlander pub" assuming it still exists about 7 miles from the start near Glen Vine"

In case your struggling to find ....look for "Half Way House" and "Greeba Bends" ....Its the short section in between.

Also the mountain section is very fast too

In addition do some u tube searches and you'll get some "on bike videos which may help you decide where to go.
If you need more specific help then drop me a line and I'll help if I can

Expect me to take you up on that closer to the time, when I had a chance to do a bit or research.
So on race days they obivoulsly close the road before the first race and don't re - open it to after the last one and crossing the course in between races is shall we say not encourged

Expect me to take you up on that closer to the time, when I had a chance to do a bit or research.
So on race days they obivoulsly close the road before the first race and don't re - open it to after the last one and crossing the course in between races is shall we say not encourged

That's about it ....... Going on other changes in the UK the restrictions may well be tighter thatn they used to be ...It used to be possible to get some superb vantage points along the course, pretty much being able to view from anywhere without restriction but nowadays I really don't know....

nice one Graham - i'm really jealous (our annual trip is still to be sorted)

the IOM TT website is a good source of info:

http://www.iomtt.com/TT-2012.aspx

this is also a document listing all of the 'no go' restricted area's:

http://cdn.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/2011/Other/ProhibitedAreas_Full.ashx they are clearly marked out when you are there.

roads close before races/practice and don't reopen until everything is finished. Its possible to get about if you plan ahead and park on the outside of the course, this usually involves walking across fields to get to/from a car but can be done. To be honest if your there for 10 days you should be able to mix it up a bit without having to travel about during the action.

Silly question... Are there any tricks to getting late (or later than i should of booked) ferry tickets?

I was looking yesterday and i wouldhave to get a ferry over on the 22nd and leave on the 11th or something silly!

I have been told the trick is to call them rather than use the website and try a few times. folk lore says that they 'have to' keep tickets back for manx locals, it depends on who answers the phone as to how helpful they are. (more helpful if you go as a foot passenger)

Silly question... Are there any tricks to getting late (or later than i should of booked) ferry tickets?

I was looking yesterday and i wouldhave to get a ferry over on the 22nd and leave on the 11th or something silly!

I'm afraid i can't help anymore as not up on how the present system works but I do recall that many spectators ( including my belated father) would have next years tickets booked asap after their return from the present year. I suspect that the TT still draws a similar interest now therefore early booking being essential.
If you are lucky to fall on some ferry tickets for this year then it is an experience not to be missed for any avid motorcycle racing enthusiast....

nice one Graham - i'm really jealous (our annual trip is still to be sorted)

the IOM TT website is a good source of info:

http://www.iomtt.com/TT-2012.aspx

this is also a document listing all of the 'no go' restricted area's:

http://cdn.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/2011/Other/ProhibitedAreas_Full.ashx they are clearly marked out when you are there.

roads close before races/practice and don't reopen until everything is finished. Its possible to get about if you plan ahead and park on the outside of the course, this usually involves walking across fields to get to/from a car but can be done. To be honest if your there for 10 days you should be able to mix it up a bit without having to travel about during the action.

Thanks Richard, be on the bike so hopefully be easier to get about/park.
I brought the DVD of last year to have a gander and Im at the minute looking at photos of past TT's.
Really looking forward to it, have you been before?

Probaly not what you are after Nick but a friend of mine phoned the ferry company up last week and got a foot ticket (she's coming over for a few days) 5th June to 10th June.

there is a group of us go to the TT and the ManxGP (one of the group races at the Manx since the early 70s) - i'm the new boy having only been going to the TT since '96, most of the others in the group have been going since the days of Hailwood and Ago. Every year is like listening to old war stories :LOL:

unfortunately one of the Manx group was killed at last year races which has put a dampener on things, the drive to sort this years trip has not been there so not sure if we'll be going as we've left it a bit late.

you'll have a great time, it really is a unique experience. The first bike past will blow your mind and you'll be hooked :nuts:

Not sure if your going on a bike I will be on the rock from the 30th May - 10 june can help you with places to go been going for 25 years but only just got into taking photos of the event. Loads of images on my website Bray Hill and Crosby leap are just two places to catch them on the back wheel at over 170mph Bray hill is a bit dificult because you tend to under trees and light can be an issue. Bray Hill imges here http://www.photodoktor.co.uk/Superstock TT 6/6/2011/album/index.html
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/Flybynite_photos/441P0556.jpg

Last edited:
441P0556.jpg

Hi Graham

missing the TT this year but heading over for the Manx :)

A lot depends on what type of shots you want ( anything you take will be superb anyway (y) )
Once roads are closed you can be pretty much stuck if you're on the inside of the circuit , Ive not had too many problems crossing under marshall supervision but it is hit n miss .
There's a great spot on the mountain where you can park outside the circuit & cross over which leave you lots of walking to various good viewing spots is....verandah , bungalow,mountain box...food & loo's at the Bungalow.

Sulby is great for long fast shots subject to light as lots of tree's....not sure of the allowed spots but if you turn right at the crossroads (if you're going in the course direction ) you may be able park up there & wander down to view...the road leads you eventually up to the bungalow I belive .
Gooseneck is great for close shots of a semi fast corner & you can get away down the back lane...last time I was there parking was in a field on a steepish slope ! Like wise Braddon bridge good for close ups but slower than you'd think , again you can get away .
Hillberry is ( was when I was there) a cracking spot...park on the outside in the little field ( loo's n food) then you could walk up through a coulle of fields ( not to far) & sit just behind a small wall to watch them come howling down from Brandish , the lovely left sweeper & away up the hill toward signpost corner ...you're literally inch's away from them .

The Glen Helen hotel is another good spot , bit over hung with trees ( less they've cut them down) but again great view's of a couple of bends & away up the hill past Sarah's Cottage & on to the Cronk ....you are stuck there though

Keppel Gate...another goodun , plenty to see as they howl along a semi straight coming from your left , down through a couple of bends then away past Kates Cottage down to the Creg....stuck again though...you may be able to park at the Creg & walk uphill to Keppel .

Governors bridge gives a good view of riders slowing to go through The Nook ( or not slowing in some cases)

Ballugh Bridge....awesome ( well I think so ) park on the outside & cross over ,bag the spot just at the end of the pub wall & keep your spot...think you can park on the lane by the pub but not sure where the road leads . I got there at 7am on race day...just early enough as within 15 mins I was joined by about 20 more people...but breathtaking to watch them over the leap :)

Parliament Square is ok'ish....if you're in the right spot you should be able to get shots of the bikes squirriling under braking for the sharp right

Last couple of years I've been access to the pit area has been very relaxed...good chance to see bikes n riders up close....they're generally happy to natter

Loads of other place that I've not been to but hope the above helps somewhat (y)
Wherever you decide to go you'll need to get there early & wait....as more places are restricted there's more people for fewer viewing spots.

If you can take a whizz round the circuit when you arrive it'll help you decide where you wanna be...or several whizz's cos belive me....the place is addictive :D

Getting all giddy about the Manx now:D

Look forward to seeing your shots mister (y)

Last edited:
If you want mental road racing action - don't forget the NW200. Far more important than the TT nowadays, all the works teams are there and the bikes are faster than at the TT - 3 abreast going into the roundabout at Portrush at over 200mph. Thye have changed the course now to slow them down and put a chicane in.

TT is a shadow of its former self, but still a magical event and one not to be missed. You want a tip for the TT? TAKE GOOD WATERPROOFS! When it rains, it really rains.

On the mountain section you will get more freedom for viewing than in the "town" sections and there is more room. All the iconic photospots tend to be fenced off for media passholders, and monitored. The Bungalow is a good spot to watch - and you can dive off down the back lane to get to Ballugh and Selby straight.

The Highlander used ot be where the DOC had it's meeting.

Don't forget, the roads close before breakfast for practise, then open again to allow people to get to work, then close for the racing, about an hour before the race start time.

Leave yourself time to do some touring. There are some wonderful out of the way spots to explore.

Not sure if your going on a bike I will be on the rock from the 30th May - 10 june can help you with places to go been going for 25 years but only just got into taking photos of the event. Loads of images on my website Bray Hill and Crosby leap are just two places to catch them on the back wheel at over 170mph Bray hill is a bit dificult because you tend to under trees and light can be an issue. Bray Hill imges here http://www.photodoktor.co.uk/Superstock TT 6/6/2011/album/index.html
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/Flybynite_photos/441P0556.jpg

Cheers Mick, yep going on the bike. Top box and panniers full of camera gear and a pair of sock in the tank bag:D
I will be there from the 31st to the 10th.
Great shot:clap:

Hi Graham

missing the TT this year but heading over for the Manx :)

A lot depends on what type of shots you want ( anything you take will be superb anyway (y) )
Once roads are closed you can be pretty much stuck if you're on the inside of the circuit , Ive not had too many problems crossing under marshall supervision but it is hit n miss .
There's a great spot on the mountain where you can park outside the circuit & cross over which leave you lots of walking to various good viewing spots is....verandah , bungalow,mountain box...food & loo's at the Bungalow.

Sulby is great for long fast shots subject to light as lots of tree's....not sure of the allowed spots but if you turn right at the crossroads (if you're going in the course direction ) you may be able park up there & wander down to view...the road leads you eventually up to the bungalow I belive .
Gooseneck is great for close shots of a semi fast corner & you can get away down the back lane...last time I was there parking was in a field on a steepish slope ! Like wise Braddon bridge good for close ups but slower than you'd think , again you can get away .
Hillberry is ( was when I was there) a cracking spot...park on the outside in the little field ( loo's n food) then you could walk up through a coulle of fields ( not to far) & sit just behind a small wall to watch them come howling down from Brandish , the lovely left sweeper & away up the hill toward signpost corner ...you're literally inch's away from them .

The Glen Helen hotel is another good spot , bit over hung with trees ( less they've cut them down) but again great view's of a couple of bends & away up the hill past Sarah's Cottage & on to the Cronk ....you are stuck there though

Keppel Gate...another goodun , plenty to see as they howl along a semi straight coming from your left , down through a couple of bends then away past Kates Cottage down to the Creg....stuck again though...you may be able to park at the Creg & walk uphill to Keppel .

Governors bridge gives a good view of riders slowing to go through The Nook ( or not slowing in some cases)

Ballugh Bridge....awesome ( well I think so ) park on the outside & cross over ,bag the spot just at the end of the pub wall & keep your spot...think you can park on the lane by the pub but not sure where the road leads . I got there at 7am on race day...just early enough as within 15 mins I was joined by about 20 more people...but breathtaking to watch them over the leap :)

Parliament Square is ok'ish....if you're in the right spot you should be able to get shots of the bikes squirriling under braking for the sharp right

Last couple of years I've been access to the pit area has been very relaxed...good chance to see bikes n riders up close....they're generally happy to natter

Loads of other place that I've not been to but hope the above helps somewhat (y)
Wherever you decide to go you'll need to get there early & wait....as more places are restricted there's more people for fewer viewing spots.

If you can take a whizz round the circuit when you arrive it'll help you decide where you wanna be...or several whizz's cos belive me....the place is addictive :D

Getting all giddy about the Manx now:D

Look forward to seeing your shots mister (y)

Thanks lynne, just waht Im looking for you, going to spend as much time as possible going round the course looking for spots.
Cheers for the compliment, you don't see the crap I throw away:), don't forget to post your Manx stuff look forward to that(y)

If you want mental road racing action - don't forget the NW200. Far more important than the TT nowadays, all the works teams are there and the bikes are faster than at the TT - 3 abreast going into the roundabout at Portrush at over 200mph. Thye have changed the course now to slow them down and put a chicane in.

TT is a shadow of its former self, but still a magical event and one not to be missed. You want a tip for the TT? TAKE GOOD WATERPROOFS! When it rains, it really rains.

On the mountain section you will get more freedom for viewing than in the "town" sections and there is more room. All the iconic photospots tend to be fenced off for media passholders, and monitored. The Bungalow is a good spot to watch - and you can dive off down the back lane to get to Ballugh and Selby straight.

The Highlander used ot be where the DOC had it's meeting.

Don't forget, the roads close before breakfast for practise, then open again to allow people to get to work, then close for the racing, about an hour before the race start time.

Leave yourself time to do some touring. There are some wonderful out of the way spots to explore.

Thanks Simon, hoping to do the Manx or NW200 next year.

Back