Isle of Man TT

Name
Adam Smith
Edit My Images
Yes
Long time since I have posted anything here, but I have just spent a few days over on the Isle of Man for the TT (First time, pretty sure it wont be my last however), and wanted to put a few of my better shots up.

1. Bruce Anstey.

2. Michael Dunlop.

3. Formula 2 sidecar.

4. Josh Brookes.

5. Steve Heneghan

6. Guy Martin

I welcome any feedback, its been a while since I have done any motorsport stuff, especially the bikes.

Thanks

Adam

I like them! only thing id say is the railing in the last 3 is a slight distraction, other than that i like 1 the most,

Some good photos there! Iv always wanted to go to the Isle of Man to see the tt!

Nice shots, been watch this on the box, I should think it can be difficult getting in really good positions, being a road circuit (shame about the bin in the background, or what ever it is, in the last three) - Hope Guy Martin gets a win this year!

Adam- you asked, so OK here goes...:love:

backgrounds, backgrounds and backgrounds - what are you aiming to get...? The bikes on 4, 5 and 6 look like they are being road-tested by my nan coming out of a garage.

Just freezing the subject does not necessarily make a nice picture. A footballer standing up like a statue is boring and should be trashed... how about the bike going around a corner, rider on his side kind of thing - similar to a skiier on a down hill being athletic making great shapes with his skis?

All very well on a boring, nondescript Sunday race meeting, but this is the Isle of Man TT - not a bunch of sunday riders out for a trip to McDonalds... how about some picture postcard images with bikes in? Wavey roads into the distance... superb landscapes with small bikes dotted in a meandering road... like the excellent tour de france images we see each and every year... going past castles, sun flower fields etc - how about a red leather wearing rider zooming past a red telephone box or something - make colour work. Roadsigns? Show where you are.

you panning skills appear to be actually ok.... although the first picture is simply awful, the technique is very good - just get in a better position where you have more to pan with and get the front of the bike (unless you are a cop with a speed gun, no one is interested in the backs of bikes)

People always associate long lenses with sports photography and freezing the action - with the IoM TT you can quite easily with a bit of thought, get a great set of pictures with just a 50mm lens on 100 ISO.

As always, DO YOU HOME WORK - watch the TV .. see where ITV have their cameras to get lovely views from, then go there yourself.

Most photographers very rarely just turn up and instantly get 12 belters... they RESEARCH... that is with lots of sport too.

Did you know L'Equipe always have one photographer going on the next stage every day picking out spots for their colleagues to shoot from? You need to do the same.

What about the section where they always jump?

To summarise, a bike is a bike, but this is the Isle of Man TT. Show where you are... (y)

stuff like this....

great snap!

Be a photographer - use your skills to document what you see. Any crazy bike people there? what about the start... wide angle is sometimes better than a long telephoto if you can see pictures

Adam- you asked, so OK here goes...:love:

backgrounds, backgrounds and backgrounds - what are you aiming to get...? The bikes on 4, 5 and 6 look like they are being road-tested by my nan coming out of a garage.

Just freezing the subject does not necessarily make a nice picture. A footballer standing up like a statue is boring and should be trashed... how about the bike going around a corner, rider on his side kind of thing - similar to a skiier on a down hill being athletic making great shapes with his skis?

All very well on a boring, nondescript Sunday race meeting, but this is the Isle of Man TT - not a bunch of sunday riders out for a trip to McDonalds... how about some picture postcard images with bikes in? Wavey roads into the distance... superb landscapes with small bikes dotted in a meandering road... like the excellent tour de france images we see each and every year... going past castles, sun flower fields etc - how about a red leather wearing rider zooming past a red telephone box or something - make colour work. Roadsigns? Show where you are.

you panning skills appear to be actually ok.... although the first picture is simply awful, the technique is very good - just get in a better position where you have more to pan with and get the front of the bike (unless you are a cop with a speed gun, no one is interested in the backs of bikes)

People always associate long lenses with sports photography and freezing the action - with the IoM TT you can quite easily with a bit of thought, get a great set of pictures with just a 50mm lens on 100 ISO.

As always, DO YOU HOME WORK - watch the TV .. see where ITV have their cameras to get lovely views from, then go there yourself.

Most photographers very rarely just turn up and instantly get 12 belters... they RESEARCH... that is with lots of sport too.

Did you know L'Equipe always have one photographer going on the next stage every day picking out spots for their colleagues to shoot from? You need to do the same.

What about the section where they always jump?

To summarise, a bike is a bike, but this is the Isle of Man TT. Show where you are... (y)

stuff like this....

great snap!

Be a photographer - use your skills to document what you see. Any crazy bike people there? what about the start... wide angle is sometimes better than a long telephoto if you can see pictures

Thanks for this, the points are all very valid.

I will be honest, this is the first time that I was over there, and I was massively under-prepared, but I am planning on going over again next year, and will make sure that I spend time in other places on the island, and not just stay in the one place.

I need to try and get out more with the camera and actually start thinking more about the sort of shot I am trying to get. I think I am OK(ish) with the technique and just need to focus on actually getting good pictures now, just helps for some one to point it out.

A few people have mentioned the railing, I agree totally, however I couldn't see a way of taking the shot without it there, I also kind of like that it shows just how close they get to the crowd (it was the barrier between me and the edge of the road).

thanks for the feedback - its nice to have an acknowledgement rather than some muppet insult you with swear words as they can not take criticism.

sincere good luck with it all :)

Thanks, and peoples feedback has taken me from taking out of focus pictures of a fence with something happening in the background to something like this, which still needs work, but that I am happy to show people.

Back