Isle of Skye and Cornwall - Help please!

Name
Charlotte
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

Out of the million photos that I took on a recent holiday there are probably a handful that I like. I am still very much a beginner and would welcome some guidance as to what I should be trying to do moving forward, the major mistakes I'm making etc. I really struggled with the weather in Scotland and realise I have so much to learn. I am reading books on how to improve but would be keen to know what you think? All are SOC except very minor tweaks re horizons and crops. If I need to PP any in Lightroom what should I be doing?

Thanks very much in advance

Charlotte

PA070217 by charlotte wilson, on Flickr

PA070221 by charlotte wilson, on Flickr

PA070281 by charlotte wilson, on Flickr

PA070287 by charlotte wilson, on Flickr

PA070301 by charlotte wilson, on Flickr

PA130732 by charlotte wilson, on Flickr

PA131025 by charlotte wilson, on Flickr

PA141132 by charlotte wilson, on Flickr

They are pretty decent and the first two are quite good. In all honesty in landscape photography you need the weather and light do all the heavy lifting for you, so sometimes you just become a passenger and ride the wave seeking out better light.

Old Man of Storr is a classic sunrise / early morning location. In the evening the rocks don't get much sunlight and except amazing sky it won't look as spectacular.

No 1 is fine, just needs some processing. Darken the sky or maybe the blues slightly, add some contrast, a tiny bit of saturation and its great.

No 2 is OK as is.

Storr images as discussed won't get much better, but you could try black and white. It might do something?

The beach - I'd like to see some stronger foreground and I get a feeling the people in the shot are a bit random. Probably need to warm up white balance a little.

Beach 2 - its fine. You now have a great foreground.

Last one - the weather has failed you here. It happens to all of us.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond... I’m learning very quickly that weather has a huge role to play and as you say you just have to go along with what you have, but I know that all of these could have been better with more know-how...

I really appreciate the specifics re processing as this gives me a starting point! Thanks - really helpful!

Charlotte

You've got a good eye, and my advice would be to spend a bit of time playing with processing of a few of these images. Although the light is maybe not ideal on any of them, the 2 of the Quirang have maybe more promise. Try upping the contrast in, and slightly darkening, the sky in the first, and perhaps lighten and increase the contrast in the foreground slightly. Also worth playing with the beach with the wonderful array of pools - perhaps desaturate the sky a little and lighten the sand? Also worth playing with the last - can you get more interest/contrast in the sky? And it is play - you've nothing to lose by messing around with (a copy!) of these images.

You've got a good eye, and my advice would be to spend a bit of time playing with processing of a few of these images. Although the light is maybe not ideal on any of them, the 2 of the Quirang have maybe more promise. Try upping the contrast in, and slightly darkening, the sky in the first, and perhaps lighten and increase the contrast in the foreground slightly. Also worth playing with the beach with the wonderful array of pools - perhaps desaturate the sky a little and lighten the sand? Also worth playing with the last - can you get more interest/contrast in the sky? And it is play - you've nothing to lose by messing around with (a copy!) of these images.

Thanks very much for this feedback. I will definitely have a play with these in Lightroom now I know what I should be working on...! I am still unsure as to what makes great landscape photography and as much as I want to try and do as much as possible with the camera I know that it would be good to learn to edit as well... thanks again!

Charlotte, buy these two books:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Landscape-Photography-Ross-Hoddinott/dp/1781450528

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Landscape-...0495692&sr=1-1&keywords=landscape+photography

I took up photography in 2015 and it's my absolute passion. I only recently, within the last two months, bought both of those books, and I should have bought them sooner, it would have helped me understand landscape photography much better / more quickly from the beginning. Having said that I like to learn from others and see what it is about their photographs that make me wish I'd taken them, and that's how I set out, learning through trial and error... and I'm still learning, still very much at the beginning of learning landscape photography but my photography has definitely improved since I first started out.

So pay attention to what makes you wish you had taken great landscape photographs - why not google top professional landscape photographers and look at their images - how does the light work throughout the photo, how is it composed and why does the composition work, why is it balanced, what is the subject, how has depth been achieved and how does the photograph make you feel from all of these elements (there are many more elements but these are the basics).

But for a modest outlay those books are absolutely superb imo.

Hope that helps./

Charlotte, buy these two books:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Landscape-Photography-Ross-Hoddinott/dp/1781450528

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Landscape-...0495692&sr=1-1&keywords=landscape+photography

I took up photography in 2015 and it's my absolute passion. I only recently, within the last two months, bought both of those books, and I should have bought them sooner, it would have helped me understand landscape photography much better / more quickly from the beginning. Having said that I like to learn from others and see what it is about their photographs that make me wish I'd taken them, and that's how I set out, learning through trial and error... and I'm still learning, still very much at the beginning of learning landscape photography but my photography has definitely improved since I first started out.

So pay attention to what makes you wish you had taken great landscape photographs - why not google top professional landscape photographers and look at their images - how does the light work throughout the photo, how is it composed and why does the composition work, why is it balanced, what is the subject, how has depth been achieved and how does the photograph make you feel from all of these elements (there are many more elements but these are the basics).

But for a modest outlay those books are absolutely superb imo.

Hope that helps./

Thanks very much for this - I have recently bought these two books which i assume are very similar - I have yet to really get stuck into them yet though so I need to read up more, but the workshop one that you have linked looks very interesting:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1781453063/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1781450846/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought these which helped a bit as I could see what the photographer was using in terms of aperture/lens etc and you may find this series useful if you are in the UK...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph...803250&sr=1-1&keywords=photographing+cornwall

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=ZWQBZ762DJZZ569696YR

I am such a beginner that I am very much going out there and "playing" at the moment... but I was interested in what I could try and do in lightroom to slightly tweak my existing photos......as until I improve my skills are a bit limited but I agree books are very helpful and I will start reading mine! :)

Snap!

As for your images, I'd say your compositions are pretty good, the second image has some nice light, which lifts it above the others - essentially, you need better light or as others have suggested to process slightly differently to maximise what you have.

Last edited:
Snap!

As for your images, I'd say your compositions are pretty good, the second image has some nice light, which lifts it above the others - essentially, you need better light or as others have suggested to process slightly differently to maximise what you have.

Except your Bedruthan is MUCH MUCH better :) Until i suddenly become ten times better at photography I'm going to try some restrained tinkering with them in in lightroom - I don't want to to essentially change too much of the image - it is what it is, but if I can sharpen, darken etc then i'm all for it....

Thanks for your feedback :)

The last I like as is, for an straight out of camera shot it's really nice.

Composition wise I know one like the back of my hand - where's the rest of it :D. It's a different take but not sure if its for the better - still you've overcome the two composition pitfalls at this spot without any help. You've hidden that ugly road and hideous graveyard and line of trees at the bottom. Not everyone manages that. If you are back and on Trotternish the mid summer is the time to do it - it's lovely and green and the sun rises behind you so you get this lovely light in the morning. Although living where you do why you'd bother coming to this godforsaken boring depressing little island beats me.

Heres' what I mean but you've not walked quite as far

_DSC1286 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

2 is nice and the light is working for you, not against you.

Last edited:
The last I like as is, for an straight out of camera shot it's really nice.

Composition wise I know one like the back of my hand - where's the rest of it :D. It's a different take but not sure if its for the better - still you've overcome the two composition pitfalls at this spot without any help. You've hidden that ugly road and hideous graveyard and line of trees at the bottom. Not everyone manages that. If you are back and on Trotternish the mid summer is the time to do it - it's lovely and green and the sun rises behind you so you get this lovely light in the morning. Although living where you do why you'd bother coming to this godforsaken boring depressing little island beats me.

Heres' what I mean but you've not walked quite as far

2 is nice and the light is working for you, not against you.

Thanks for your feedback - Your quaraing is really nice. I took loads there - the road really p***d me off though.:D I 'll have another look at my photos..... see if I've got any others that would work. I absolutely loved Skye. The rock formations and landscape are fascinating. :)
I'm still at the stage where I have to take lots and lots and lots of photos and the same shot with lots of different settings so that I can try and learn what I think works best. Its a long process but an enjoyable one ;)

Thanks for your feedback - Your quaraing is really nice. I took loads there - the road really p***d me off though.:D I 'll have another look at my photos..... see if I've got any others that would work. I absolutely loved Skye. The rock formations and landscape are fascinating. :)
I'm still at the stage where I have to take lots and lots and lots of photos and the same shot with lots of different settings so that I can try and learn what I think works best. Its a long process but an enjoyable one ;)

Somehow I think you've got an advantage living in the Alps - with all those lakes and mountains about.The hardest thing will be not inadvertbly framing a hiking track (like you have in shot 2), or

Honestly just go with what works for you composition wise and don't bungle the exposure (keep it within the histogram) and ensure it is in focus (smaller F numbers can help). Keep the ISO low (more than likely 100) on your camera unless you really need to increase it. None of these are bungled or have the beginner tell tale wonky horizon and blown clouds.

The hardest part is showing up when the weather is just right. Too much cloud = flat light, too little cloud, boring skies etc. I got lucky that day for sure.

If rock formations and geology are your thing, Torridon in the UK and the Spanish/French Pyrenees are where you want to go ;)

Last edited:
Its so busy here as I'm sure you know - summer is ridiculous. I was hoping to get a few more hikes in this Autumn but we had snow yesterday at 750m alt :eek: so not sure we're really getting an Autumn this year! I only bought my camera in March so have a lot of exploring to do on my doorstep.... :) In fact that's WHY i bought that camera. Boyfriend drags me up mountains and I'm there with an iphone photographing the mont blanc range at 2500m altitide.o_O :D

Honestly just go with what works for you composition wise and don't bungle the exposure (keep it within the histogram) and ensure it is in focus (smaller F numbers can help). Keep the ISO low (more than likely 100) on your camera unless you really need to increase it. None of these are bungled or have the beginner tell tale wonky horizon and blown clouds.

Thanks very much for this...what do you mean by Blown Clouds? I am sure that my ISO is too high on some of my photos. I sometime see what the camera does on AUTO if mine looks crap and work back from there...:D

Its so busy here as I'm sure you know - summer is ridiculous. I was hoping to get a few more hikes in this Autumn but we had snow yesterday at 750m alt :eek: so not sure we're really getting an Autumn this year! I only bought my camera in March so have a lot of exploring to do on my doorstep.... :) In fact that's WHY i bought that camera. Boyfriend drags me up mountains and I'm there with an iphone photographing the mont blanc range at 2500m altitide.o_O :D

Your best months will be September as it's still lovely and green but not so touristy, and October for the Autumn colours. Be a bit late now I reckon. Autumn here was not so good but I had a whole month over in France and Spain so not complaining.

Next year I will be back for more :D

Don't worry about camera settings, small F numbers if you have something in the foreground and background that need to be in focus. Larger F numbers are fine for landscapes if it is just a distant view - do watch this though if using cheaper lenses as you can get soft corners. Make sure your exposure sits in the histogram and your off. Processing wise is a taste thing - I do as little as possible but as much as neccesary to get my images to where I like them. I am also a fan of a lighter touch and avoid lots of contrast, high black points and garish colours.

Thanks very much for this...what do you mean by Blown Clouds? I am sure that my ISO is too high on some of my photos. I sometime see what the camera does on AUTO if mine looks crap and work back from there...:D

Blown clouds are where all the detail is lost - your histogram would be stacked up to the right. If you look your sky in the first one, look at the top, there is defined clouds there, its close to being blown but the detail is there.

Look at the top of this mess I took 6years back - skies blown at the top, I probably shot into the sun like the rookie I was. The rest of the image is too dark because the sensor doesn't have the dynamic range to cope. No camera has or will for a long long time. Google the term dynamic range. This picture is a POS and has only one purpose - to show someone how not to take pictures.

DSC_1387 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Now look at this - all the detail is in all over the image.Some might say it lacks contrast but it has for me a nice natural look that preserves the integrity of what I saw. It was taken at Gavarnie, and you should go there.

_DSC3406 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ok got you re blow clouds thanks for the explanation - I Imagine my ISO was too high on that Quaraing shot...
Autumn was very late this year due to the very hot summer - the lovely colours are in the trees now and were only starting to turn a few weeks back ...maybe I'll work towards some nice snowy shots as I am sure the snow will arrive sooner than later.....

I got some very good advice on here here and bought a 12-40mm PRO lens straight away which I absolutely love - the images and detail are really sharp...
Yes I agree re processing, I am not up for adding sun if there wasn't any but if I can tweak to enhance then that's ok...

If the ISO was too high it would look grainy and noisy - probably not if the camera was in auto and faced with these light clouds I doubt it would choose a high one.

For landscapes I find low ISO's the best. If you don't have a tripod then increase the ISO if you feel the shutter speed won't allow for a sharp handheld shot. I tend to find to get shoot sharp hand held shots the shutter speed should be no faster than 1 / focal length or in a high res camera like my D810 1 / 2 x focal length.

Everyone enhances, even me :D

Back