Isle of Skye (and some bits on the journey!)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I was lucky enough to get a trip to the Isle of Skye a couple of weeks ago, the weather was great on the Saturday (but lets not talk about the Sunday...) lets just say I was glad of the D800's weather resistance!

1. Eilean Donan Castle
Eilean Donan Castle by chrism_scotland (Chris Mitchell Photography), on Flickr

2. The Quiraing
20140412 The Quiraing - Isle of Skye by chrism_scotland (Chris Mitchell Photography), on Flickr

3. The Storr
20140412 Old Man of Storr - Isle of Skye by chrism_scotland (Chris Mitchell Photography), on Flickr

4. Cullin Hills near the Fairy Pools
20140412 Fairy Pools & Cuillin Hills Isle of Skye 2 by chrism_scotland (Chris Mitchell Photography), on Flickr

More on my Flickr Stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrismscotland/

2 and 4 for me ... 1st has an optical illusion of sloping to the right, which fools the brain :)

Yes the processing isn't natural enough for me. Number 1 is running down to the right but that's easy fixed.

Fave is no. 4, with 1&2 needing desaturation a little. Number 3 just lacks the spectacular compared to the rest.

Thanks for the comments everyone and appreciate what's being said about the processing - it was such a grey few days that I've had to try really hard to give the shots a bit of colour - I am going to revisit them though and see if I can tone them down a little!

Starting with the Quiraing 1.

20140412 The Quiraing - Isle of Skye Toned Down by chrism_scotland (Chris Mitchell Photography), on Flickr

The Quiraing in B&W 2.

20140412 The Quiraing - Isle of Skye B&W by chrism_scotland (Chris Mitchell Photography), on Flickr

And the Eilean Donan Castle 3.

Eilean Donan Castle - Toned Down by chrism_scotland (Chris Mitchell Photography), on Flickr

Reactions: ST4
Much prefer the tones down shots, though that last one of Eilean Donan needs straightening. There's also a dust mark on the RHS in the mountains.
Skye is quite often miserable (weather wise) and I think it looks good with a sense of mood. I know when I went we had terrible weather most days, and my favourite shots came in the middle of the day in stormy conditions.

The toned down colours are much more pleasing, I posted some of my Skye shots on here a while back and we have very similar shots, also with a D800. I agreed with the weather sealing comment.

The Eilean Donan shot, once straightened, could be a beaut. Looks like you've got some amazing texture in the cloud there and some careful processing could make that a very atmospheric shot without making the foreground, hills and castle look so harshly treated.

P.S. The B&W Storr shot works really well too. I like your chosen view.

Hi Chris

I hope you don't mind, I've had a quick play with your (toned down) picture of Eilean Donan Castle... I can't pretend this is great by any stretch but I liked your cloud detail so wanted to bring that out more and also give it a slight cast (which is maybe more controversial). I've tried to keep it subtle (except the straightening which is obvious!) although there's some posterisation because of the limitations of playing with already-squished jpgs. It could probably benefit from upping the exposure a touch more but I quite like the dark & eerie look.

Good shots!

14037560811_36aa7befaf_h-2_zps83c19aca.jpg

Hi Chris

I hope you don't mind, I've had a quick play with your (toned down) picture of Eilean Donan Castle... I can't pretend this is great by any stretch but I liked your cloud detail so wanted to bring that out more and also give it a slight cast (which is maybe more controversial). I've tried to keep it subtle (except the straightening which is obvious!) although there's some posterisation because of the limitations of playing with already-squished jpgs. It could probably benefit from upping the exposure a touch more but I quite like the dark & eerie look.

Good shots!

14037560811_36aa7befaf_h-2_zps83c19aca.jpg

Thanks Paul, I don't mind at all! I did something similar myself:

Back