Isle of Skye locations, particularly sunrise spots

Name
Lyle
Edit My Images
No
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I'm heading to Skye mid week and I've managed to grab a few days on my own for photography which I am super excited about. I am planning the classic locations such as Old Man of Storr, Neist Point and the Fairy pools etc but wondered if anyone had any other locations they could share with me, particularly those which could offer a good sunrise shot.

Many thanks,
JPJ

Hairy Loch on the road from Broadford to Elgol ... I didn't manage to get a sunrise due to cloud cover but it's a great place for it with photo opportunities in both directions :)

Hairy Loch, Skye
by Roger, on Flickr

If you don't have it already download the Photographer's Ephemeris and you'll see lots of possibilities.

One suggestion. North of Portree and just off the A855 is Lealt. There is a car park just before the turning and a 3 mile(ish) walk through Lealt leads to Loch Cuithir with good views over the loch to Sgurr a Mhadaidh Ruidah. At this time of year the rising sun should show this hill and the those nearby well. I haven't been to Skye for a number of years so things may have changed but you could probably reduce the walk to the loch to 2 miles if you drive through Lealt and park up carefully somewhere.

If you google for images of Sgurr a Mhadaidh Ruidah you see what it is like.

Dave

Not been to Skye in many years .... can't wait to go back though now i have some decent camera gear .... fantastic place !

Only just noticed this thread but for future reference;
possibly the best view of the Cuillin Ridge at sunrise is from the summit of Sgurr na Stri. The only downside is that it is a fair walk in although I have spent the night at the bothy at Camasunary and from there you can be on the summit in an hour or so.

Did you have a great trip to Skye and get some good photo? I'm on Skye now but the sunrises haven't been really good so far. With reference to my above suggestion of Sgurr na Stri, I've recently found out that a photo I took took from the summit of Sgurr na Stri of a snow capped Cuillin has been short listed in Trail Magazine's UK Mountain Photo of the Year Competition.
See the others entries and Sgurr na Stri.jpg
http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/L...ain-Photo-of-the-Year-2015-choose-the-winner/

Back