Isle of Skye

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in the process of planning next years holiday for myself and the good lady, we will also have our pooch in tow.

The plan is to take a 3 week break on the Isle of Skye (I have my overnight stay in Cumbria sorted) but would very much like some pointers on places to stay on Skye.

The holiday is aimed primarily at R & R with plenty of exercise for the dog and secondly for some serious photography sessions. With this in mind could anyone take the time to give me a few "must see" locations too.

I appreciate that there are a few similar posts but I would very much like to start an up to date list if at all possible.

Many thanks.

Andy

If you're up for climbing hills or 'walking in' to locations I'd give you a different list of suggestions but:

As far as 'landscapes' go - things don't change too much so I'll say what I've previously said...

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch
Elgol (Cuillin Views)
Ord (Cuillin Views)
Tokavaig (Cuillin Views)
Loch Slapin nr Torrin (Bla Bheinn Views)
Claigan Coral Beaches
The Quirang
The Storr
Neist Point
Fairy Pools (Glen Brittle)
Camasunary (walk over)

Like much of the Highlands - Skye can take longer to get around than you may think so whilst there's loads of amazing locations - you can soon find yourself dashing around like a headless chicken getting the light and time of day all wrong.

My tip would be to take the B8083 early out of Broadford village and with the time / light in mind.....

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch - is just a few miles down the road and in addition to the loch and it's backdrop of Beinn na Caillich - there's a great wee deserted church Cill Chroisd (Christ's Church or "Kilchrist"). Too many folk whizz past on the way to Elgol so be sure to stop if your early enough to catch the lovely morning light.

If you're early enough then don't feel rushed as next is Torrin and the shores of Loch Slapin which offer great views of Bla Bheinn (Blaven) and eventually you will will reach the end of the road at Elgol offering great sea views to the Cuillin with good afternoon light or later sunsets.

There are loads more places really but the above are all well known and (if you're with family or trying to be a diplomatic photographer lol) they're quick and easy locations without undertaking an expedition or climbing hills.

Having said all that - I think I'd be looking for less photographed locations LOL

PS

Canon Togger (Marie) is the person to talk to

Last edited:
Andy,

I'm heading up to Skye on Saturday, will give you some hints and tips upon my return, and also let you know how the place I'm staying is.

Jake

Loch Coruisk is one of the most remarkable lanscapes in the British Isles. It's worth taking a trip over to Raasay and walking up Dun Caan for a spectacular 360 degree panoramic view.

Avoid July and August if you can.

Mike

Andy,

I'm heading up to Skye on Saturday, will give you some hints and tips upon my return, and also let you know how the place I'm staying is.

Jake

Jake, have a great trip. I hope the weather gods smile on you mate!

Loch Coruisk is one of the most remarkable lanscapes in the British Isles. It's worth taking a trip over to Raasay and walking up Dun Caan for a spectacular 360 degree panoramic view.

Avoid July and August if you can.

Mike

Mike, thank you for that. Unfortunately and due to my wife being a teacher, we have little choice other than to go during these 2 months :(.

Andy

I'm a teacher too (when I retire I am going to spend the September in the Hebrides).

Anyway you will need to stock up on either Smidge or Avon Skin So Soft (though this is a bit greasy) to deter the midges from eating you alive. Midge nets (worn over the top of a hat) are a useful last resort if you can't find a breeze to be in.

Enjoy the trip!

Mike

Jake, have a great trip. I hope the weather gods smile on you mate!

Thank you! Fingers crossed!

I'm a teacher too (when I retire I am going to spend the September in the Hebrides).

Anyway you will need to stock up on either Smidge or Avon Skin So Soft (though this is a bit greasy) to deter the midges from eating you alive. Midge nets (worn over the top of a hat) are a useful last resort if you can't find a breeze to be in.

Enjoy the trip!

Mike

Bugger! Knew I had forgotten something while out shopping last night. Is it something I can get in the shops on Skye?

Hi Andy
I would go along with what Phil has said he has given you some very good advice, I can't help you with information on where to stay because I am lucky in that I have some very good friends who live on the island so I am able to stay with them, I would try and get something booked though as it can get busy those two months, the other thing that can get busy is the midges so be sure to take some insect repellant, they don't bother some people but there is always a large swarm of them waiting to attack me as soon as I arrive.
The Wee tea room in glen Eynort is worth a visit Linda makes some lovely cakes and Jon is a photographer so can help you out with locations although you will need to be diplomatic because he gets asked this a lot if you tell him Bob sent you, you should be OK.
Enjoy your trip.
Regards Bob

Last edited:
Hi Andy
I would go along with what Phil has said he has given you some very good advice, I can't help you with information on where to stay because I am lucky in that I have some very good friends who live on the island so I am able to stay with them, I would try and get something booked though as it can get busy those two months, the other thing that can get busy is the midges so be sure to take some insect repellant, they don't bother some people but there is always a large swarm of them waiting to attack me as soon as I arrive.
The Wee tea room in glen Eynort is worth a visit Linda makes some lovely cakes and Jon is a photographer so can help you out with locations although you will need to be diplomatic because he gets asked this a lot if you tell him Bob Patchcott sent you, you should be OK.
Enjoy your trip.
Regards Bob

Bob,

many thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been told about the tea rooms by someone else but not about Jon so that is duly noted.

Re the midges, I am normally ok but my wife is a walking smorgasbord for anything remotely insect like. I will stock up on the midge repellant or just leave her at home lol!

Andy

Lots of good advice above. If you want spectacular sunsets - weather permitting - try Lochbay at Waternish. Of course some of us just have to look out of the window:D

If you need some recommendations on where to stay and eat, just let me know. I have friends who have holiday cottages, B&Bs and restaraunts.

Weather right now is foul. Bring wet weather gear for yourself and camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_smoking_gnu/

Colin

Last edited:
Been there once.

Loved it.

Really, loved it.

Astounding scenery.

I remember walking around a cemetery, as you do, and happening upon Alexander McQueen's gravestone.

If you need a feel for the light, here's a few I took while on holiday with family. Here.

Ideas..check here :D

Oh, BTW, weeks.....grrrrr, :bat: :bat: :bat:

Post a few, yes :D

Lots of good advice above. If you want spectacular sunsets - weather permitting - try Lochbay at Waternish. Of course some of us just have to look out of the window:D

If you need some recommendations on where to stay and eat, just let me know. I have friends who have holiday cottages, B&Bs and restaraunts.

Weather right now is foul. Bring wet weather gear for yourself and camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_smoking_gnu/

Colin

Colin,
You are a very lucky person, don't ever take your views for granted!
Thanks for your offer, I may well take you up on some info next year.

Been there once.

Loved it.

Really, loved it.

Astounding scenery.

I remember walking around a cemetery, as you do, and happening upon Alexander McQueen's gravestone.

If you need a feel for the light, here's a few I took while on holiday with family. Here.

Ideas..check here :D

Oh, BTW, weeks.....grrrrr, :bat: :bat: :bat:

Post a few, yes :D

Thanks for the link Andy!! :)

I've arrived this evening in Skye. You won't be disappointed, it's stunning up here, but rainy today! The drive is beautiful too.

Jake, I am so jealous of you right now!

Monkeybits, thank you for the link mate.

Andy

Andy, I can highly recommend Dunyre. Is where I'm staying. It's a self catering holiday let, which is a small, cosy bungalow, next door to the home owners. Great views out the back and right in Portree. It's cost us £325 for this week. I've only seen the owners once, and that was when we arrived, not at all intrusive. I can provide more in depth details when I get home if you like.
Jake

Andy, I can highly recommend Dunyre. Is where I'm staying. It's a self catering holiday let, which is a small, cosy bungalow, next door to the home owners. Great views out the back and right in Portree. It's cost us £325 for this week. I've only seen the owners once, and that was when we arrived, not at all intrusive. I can provide more in depth details when I get home if you like.
Jake

Jake, that would be brilliant if you don't mind. (y)

Andy

Back