Critique Isle of Skye.

Name
Alice
Edit My Images
Yes
These pictures are two years old but can you Point out the issues and what I can attempt to improve on. And any tips on how you could edit them (editing is not my strong point) Never got round to going last year (usually go every year) but going back this year, so would like to get some better pictures.

They're not very good pictures and haven't been edited.

Sgurr Thuilm by Rubh an Dunain, on Flickr

These two are pretty much the same.

Quiraing by Rubh an Dunain, on Flickr

Quiraing by Rubh an Dunain, on Flickr

Thanks.

its all in the lighting, and with these kind of shots you really need mother nature on your side.

ignoring the editing side, I would say a big improvement would be patience. Waiting for that perfect lighting. You quickly learn that unless it's pure luck, the jaw dropping landscape shots are mostly captured through patience and perseverance.

Also use a grad filter to enhance the sky rather than it being washed out - makes all the difference. Of course the weather has to be on your side though as stated.

For the second and third, get yourself up on the quiraing for sunrise (weather permitting).
The light is much more interesting then, although the dynamic range will be challenging so you will need strong nd grads or else bracket your shots.

10947517_973173426041123_7697405099406783334_o.jpg

Last edited:
its all in the lighting, and with these kind of shots you really need mother nature on your side.

ignoring the editing side, I would say a big improvement would be patience. Waiting for that perfect lighting. You quickly learn that unless it's pure luck, the jaw dropping landscape shots are mostly captured through patience and perseverance.

Thanks. I've never had time before to be patient, but I'm trying that this summer, as I'm not working all summer like last summer, so I can experiment more.
Also use a grad filter to enhance the sky rather than it being washed out - makes all the difference. Of course the weather has to be on your side though as stated.

Thanks, I have bought some filters. I'd never realised what all these filters did, and it's actually a bit simpler than I thought.

For the second and third, get yourself up on the quiraing for sunrise (weather permitting).
The light is much more interesting then, although the dynamic range will be challenging so you will need strong nd grads or else bracket your shots.

10947517_973173426041123_7697405099406783334_o.jpg

Your picture is really pretty.

Thanks, I have bought some filters now. I'm going to try getting there for sunrise, but getting there for 4:30/5 ish will be difficult, I am not much of a morning person.

stay up and make it a late night then :). in a matter of weeks the sunset will be merging straight into sunrise.

For me there is nothing wrong with the composition of these, it is the light / dynamic range that is the problem. The first, i would be tempted to crop to a square to take away the top of the sky at the point at which the clouds end and a little of the bottom. as it is the middle bit that is interesting (to me anyway). The second and third i like the composition but the light is the problem, with it looking like the highlights have been blown or are close to being blown? As already mentioned, graduated filters or exposure bracketing would help.

Back