ISO 50 PANF - what on earth went wrong

Edit My Images
No
no longer needed

Last edited:
What do the actual negatives look like on inspection, and who scanned them?

Have the lab ballsed these up or have I misunderstood how sensitive ISO 50 film is? In particular shots with windows in them and any generally high dynamic range shot is trashed.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the lab have messed anything up - but you can check the writing on the film outside the sprockets - if it's nice and sharp and consistent along the length of the film, then I'd say the lab have done their job.

I think there is more detail in the bad example that can be brought out with a bit of contrast tweaking, but at the end of the day, the range of light in that example is beyond what most films could prabably handle - regardless of the box speed. The OM-10 does allow for exposure compensation (the red and blue numbers on the ISO dial), but using an iso 50 film will limit you to just one stop unless you have the manual adapter.

and just as i was about to move over to peak imaging! let us know about the writing on the film sprocket.

It looks like dodgy exposure to me, i had the same effect on a roll i massively underexposed, the second image you put up shows a massive dynamic range, most slow films are less tolerant of mis-exposure than faster films. If it was down to the developing, you would have either got absolutely all frames with the same effects.

and who scanned them?

Who scanned them ?

lol

I'm gonna go with under exposed negs because its unlikely you'd get a correctly developed frame mixed with badly developed frames on the same roll, it has to be error @ exposure..

can't find the refresh button whilst watching a bunch of puffs kick a ball about :LOL:

Last edited:
Nothing overly different between what I did, camera is an OM-10 so meters automatically and from past experience been accurate.

You didn't apply exposure compensation when you should have to compensate for the bright windows, so their extreme value has been averaged into the exposure calculation, hence a crap pic.

How do you know how much to compensate I hear you ask? You don't, without spot metering it's guesstimate only, and that's why I hate anything other than spot metering.

How do you know how much to compensate I hear you ask? You don't, without spot metering it's guesstimate only, and that's why I hate anything other than spot metering.

Well, in an interior scene like this, you could put in some leg work and walk over and meter specifically - say - the back of one of the chairs in the middle.
In this scene, I think you'll need the manual adapter on the OM-10 to dial in the shutter speed it has metered, as you can only go one stop in compensation at the iso50 end of the OM-10. It'd be a bit of a faff, but once set, it would probably be a good for most shots in this room and any similarly lit rooms in that building at around that time.

Nothing much to add but if you are using iso 50 indoors then you may also be a victim of underexposure due to poor metering and possibly reciprocity failure Don't think Peak imaging have done anything wrong here.

Film acts normally say up to 1/2 second then you have to compensate, so if you were metering 5 seconds @F11, you have to give it extra exposure, never used PANF but it could be 20+ seconds.

Sure it's somewhere on Google.

I didn't consider doing that because I've never had to with other films I've used. The problem here is my lack of understanding that the ISO 50 would have much less latitude than what I'm used to. Lesson learned!

Could just let this thread slip off the edge but I just wanna say that PanF 50 does not have any less exposure latitude than most other b/w films, it sounds like a simple exposure miscalc, I do it all the time, trial and error is the name of the game anyway..:)

Could just let this thread slip off the edge but I just wanna say that PanF 50 does not have any less exposure latitude than most other b/w films, it sounds like a simple exposure miscalc, I do it all the time, trial and error is the name of the game anyway..:)

+1

Back