Bill
Edit My Images
No
yes - 7200
NO noise reduction

It was quite dark - I used 1/1250th and f6.3 ……………. so even more impressive

ISO7200.jpg

Looks good Bill

ISO 7200 and 1/1250 seem odd though. A third of that shutter speed would suffice with lower ISO.

Hi Bill

iso 7200 seems a bit random. Looks very clean and detailed though at this scale. Could you post a crop ?

I use Auto ISO now quite a lot of the time, with no max

I was hand holding a Nikon 600mm with a TC14Ell ……. so I reckoned I needed a high shutter speed, minimum

The bird was moving - it was cracking open a snail shell on that pebble

I have gone off f4, f5.6 images

I have left the bg noise - as i said NO noise reduction, just +4 of clarity

It was quite dark

crop

crop.jpg

Last edited:
I have gone off f4, f5.6 images

Same here unless the light is so bad I need the wider aperture.

I can only max at f5.6 @ 400mm but I find the extra depth of focus on larger birds works best at f6.3 - f8

Same here unless the light is so bad I need the wider aperture.

I can only max at f5.6 @ 400mm but I find the extra depth of focus on larger birds works best at f6.3 - f8

Agreed - exactly - also sharper images

but as you said - it is all about adjusting your settings to the light - trying new things to see what works with these digital cameras

I have still not cracked 3D tracking - it seems to have a mind of it's own

Are *sure* there is no noise reduction on that ? Is it downsampled ? Every RAW image of the D750 I have looked at past 6400 has quite a bit of croma noise in the blacks, your image has none, even in the eye....

Are *sure* there is no noise reduction on that ? Is it downsampled ? Every RAW image of the D750 I have looked at past 6400 has quite a bit of croma noise in the blacks, your image has none, even in the eye....

here is the uncropped file straight out of the camera - just converted to jpg for posting on here - as I pointed out the above had +4 of clarity, (not this image)

It's the way I take em .. you just need to get the right in camera settings

I added one third EV and shot in manual mode, checked the histogram - bang in the middle just bleeding into the blacks and whites

I had a minute as the Thrush was more interested in the snail than me, plus as you can see it's a youngster - the shot was hand held so easy to adjust the angle

There is a very slight bit of "chroma" as you put it, in the eye

I was surprised when I saw the ISO value

uncropped.jpg

Last edited:
All I can see is a 314KB 900px on the long edge picture due to this forums image settings- it is very clean indeed ! - however downsampling *is* noise reduction - we are only seeing 314kb out of the original 24576kb RAW file, that's only 1/78th of the data . If you put the full size untouched Jpeg on Flikr we can see good it really is.

All I can see is a 314KB 900px on the long edge picture due to this forums image settings- it is very clean indeed ! - however downsampling *is* noise reduction - we are only seeing 314kb out of the original 24576kb RAW file, that's only 1/78th of the data . If you put the full size untouched Jpeg on Flikr we can see good it really is.

12mbte jpeg file on Flickr

I would never use this high a level of ISO for anything other than a record or gab shot

tell me what you think before I move to Canon?

Last edited:
Ok that looks a lot more like my expectations ! Dammn impressive at that iso even so, its pure witchcraft !

Did you check the EXIF - that's what LR shows and I remember the first from the camera…………in could not be a mistake could it - it just looks too good

I have about a dozen images they range from 5600, 6400 and 7200

Last edited:
Back