ISO - Auto or not?

I find it odd that someone would not want to be able to make adjustments while looking thru the viewfinder... unless there is a significant eyesight issue. I guess if things are really slow it wouldn't much matter.

Edit: I suppose "have to" is different than "able to"... but I don't know of a single camera that can't/doesn't display the aperture setting elsewhere.

Last edited:
I use Auto ISO all the time on my 6D. In Av mode I set the option for min shutter speed to match the lens focal length and it works perfectly.

High ISO noise is so well controlled that I don't need to worry if the camera chooses 6400.

If I'm using a wide lens for a shot which includes people, then I set the min shutter speed to 1/60.

Last edited:
Depends what I'm photographing. I sometimes set it to auto, with a bracket of 100-6400 on my 5D3. I have had it play up and meter on a black piece of cloth that gave it a reading of 6400, when it should have only been 500-800 tops.

Depends what I'm photographing. I sometimes set it to auto, with a bracket of 100-6400 on my 5D3. I have had it play up and meter on a black piece of cloth that gave it a reading of 6400, when it should have only been 500-800 tops.

Is that the only time it gave you the wrong ISO / shutter. My 5DIII did this a few times when trying to use auto ISO but I wasn't sure why so I just ended up not using it unless I absolutely had to. I mentioned this a lot earlier in this thread but really did not get many that said they experienced the same thing.

Is that the only time it gave you the wrong ISO / shutter. My 5DIII did this a few times when trying to use auto ISO but I wasn't sure why so I just ended up not using it unless I absolutely had to. I mentioned this a lot earlier in this thread but really did not get many that said they experienced the same thing.
Pretty sure. It happens commonly at events, I use spot metering quit a lot, so if im not tracking subjects, it doesn't do too well. I was tracking at an event and the wall was black, the lights from the side illuminated her, should have been like 1/250th f9 @ 500-800 ISO, but It did 1/250th f9 @ 6400, but in all honesty, my bad aim.

I don't use it enough. I tend to keep my mode dial on M. with complete manual settings. The scene never changes enough to warrant it being automated at all.

Pretty sure. It happens commonly at events, I use spot metering quit a lot, so if im not tracking subjects, it doesn't do too well. I was tracking at an event and the wall was black, the lights from the side illuminated her, should have been like 1/250th f9 @ 500-800 ISO, but It did 1/250th f9 @ 6400, but in all honesty, my bad aim.

I don't use it enough. I tend to keep my mode dial on M. with complete manual settings. The scene never changes enough to warrant it being automated at all.

My situation was similar a few times when shooting a band but I had some off the wall settings a few times. I had something like a shutter of 600 with a iso of 6400 when all I needed was a shutter of around 200 with a much lower iso. As we talk about this I am starting to think I might of been on spot metering as well. With that metering I could see how easy it could be to miss the subject and get things out of whack real fast. I guess I need to re examine this when I get my new camera (replacement). I think a good auto iso could really come in handy at times. Thanks for the incite.

:canon:

Back