ISO settings

Name
rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Could somebody please explain why a camera's ISO spec might be stated as, for example, 100-2,600 expandable to 50-10,400.

When that is surely, simply, 50-10,400.

Thank you.

Rob

I'm no expert, far from it, but the way I understand it is that the first set of figures are native ISO settings, ie real ones, and the others are an enhanced or expanded and created via software....:shrug:

Like I say, I is only a beginner:nuts:

Well the sensor will have a base ISO which is want it actually sees, usually 200 for nikon and 100 for canon. Anything above will be boosting the signal, less will be cutting it to get the desired sensitivity.

Boost or cut too much and it starts looking crappy, but might still be useful, hence the extended ranges. The "normal" range is just what the manufacturer is a useable range for most people.

My understanding is that the quoted Iso range (at normal Iso stops) is based on the analogue gain applied to the sensor....pure Iso if you wish.

The top end expansion is performed at the analogue gain 1 stop lower but then the whole RAW data capture is digitally shift up by 1 EV. At the bottom end, a similar situation but shifted down by 1 EV.

The end result is the dynamic range will be clipped by 1 stop at whichever end you're playing with......this clipping will be over and above any clipping that occurs at capture.

Bob

Well the sensor will have a base ISO which is want it actually sees, usually 200 for nikon and 100 for canon. Anything above will be boosting the signal, less will be cutting it to get the desired sensitivity.
Base iso has been 100 for half a decade!:) You probably have the last model to be base 200.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, far from it, but the way I understand it is that the first set of figures are native ISO settings, ie real ones, and the others are an enhanced or expanded and created via software....:shrug:

Like I say, I is only a beginner:nuts:

Thats the way I have always known it as well.. But never felt the need to question it so I cant say its fact... but it's what I was always told :)

Base iso has been 100 for half a decade!:) You probably have the last model to be base 200.

Nikon's D700 was launched on 1st July 2008 with a base iso of 200, the same as the D300, and also the D300s which was launched in 2009, so hardly "half a decade"!

Also note that 200 is not the base iso (which is closer to 160, ref Mansurovs), but the lowest standard iso setting before using what are referred to as extended settings.

HTH.

A number of the Sony DSLR/DSLT also have a base ISO of 200 - and since Sony produce the sensors fro a number of Nikon's, I'm hardly surprised Nikon's have the same.

Thanks very much, all, for sorting that.

I must admit, that I was wondering if it had started as some sort of marketing ploy which every manufacturer then adopted, thus making it a pretty pointless ploy.

Back