Isolating files

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I've got folder A containing all the pictures I took for a client. I've got folder B containing all the images I down-selected for the client. The client now wants to see all the files I didn't originally supply. How can I easily isolate the files which are in folder A, yet not in folder B? (There are over 1000, so looking for a non-manual answer)!!

THanks

I've got folder B containing all the images I down-selected for the client.

Tell him they're in Folder C, also known as "Not for the clients eyes"
It could end up a nightmare.

Last edited:
Or pick out 15 or 20 good ones and tell him thats all you have, the other were deleted on the first run through.

They're in folder D for Deleted, wiped, erased, destroyed. Nothing to show!

You could do all of that (and TBH I probably would - there's a reason I call them deletes) but if I actually wanted to do what you are asking here's what I'd do (on a Mac, other operating systems are available).

1. Make sure folder A is in Lightroom (rejects aren't always)
2. Go to the terminal, navigate to folder B and type "ls > dir.txt" without quotes
3. Back in a GUI editor open up the file dir.txt - it will contain a list of all the files in folder B (plus a bit of junk but that's irrelevant)
4. Edit the file so that the file names are separated by commas not paragraph marks (e.g. in Word or similar replace all paragraph marks with comma space)
5. Select the list and copy to clipboard
6. Go into LR and navigate to folder A, use text find for filename contains and paste the list
7. Invert selection.

But next time, MOVE the pics from folder A to folder B. And then delete folder A ;)

Back