ISS and Iridium Flare in same shot.

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Went down the local river last night with the plan to get a long exposure of the Space Station pass over and an Iridium Flare in the same shot. I was hoping to get the ISS coming over the horizon but someone was Lamping across the river ( blue light lower right) and kept shining the light across the river which ruined the first few exposures. The ISS went into the Earths shadow as it was a late pass over. But mission accomplished. 8 x 30 sec exposures in total were used. :)

View attachment 30452

Looks really great Martin, my only suggestion would be to do a little work on the White balance at take as much of the sodium glow as possible out and make tge landscape look a little more natural (y)

Yes, that's nice. I must have a look at the timings for ISS on the off-chance it's clear enough to see it. Last night was lovely and clear on the way to the pub (~21.30) and very clouded on the way back. The centre boat is eerily static for such a long exposure.

A bit more time PP. @MWHCVT it was a rush to get down there and just guessed at the settings but a little bit of Post doesn't hurt :).
@droopsnoot Thanks for the comment. Look up Heavens Above or SatTrack on Android.The middle boat didn't move much in 4 mins. It was high tide with no wind. When the tide is out the boats are left propped up on the sand .

View attachment 30597

Last edited:
Nice idea but I am struggling to find anything that is in focus, did you manually focus to infinity?

I was pushed for time and didn't have time to zoom in on Live View to manually focus so just stuck it close to infinity where I thought the focus was sharp but just missed the sweet spot. Must make sure to get there earlier if I can next time.

Back