issue transferring files from phone

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Slightly off topic from photography.

I am having alot of trouble transferring files (music) from my phone to my laptop.
My phone is a Samsung s7 and the laptop is a fairly new Toshiba with good performance.

Usually, i plug my phone into the USB slot, it will auto connect and transfer no issue.
I am currently able to transfer files from the laptop to the phone, no issue. But i am having difficulty going the other way.

I would like to transfer about a thousand songs, usually i am able to do this in one hit. However during the transferring it is jumbling up the names of the songs / artists / albums and also stopping the transfer at a totally random point. ( i will try to copy the error code as soon as i can)
This might be 10 songs in, or 500 songs in.

I have tried doing it with small batches, to no avail, and also omitting the file thats transferring at the time when it stops. (in case that particular file is corrupted)
However on the next attempt, it will just stop at another random point.

It happens when i try to transfer to the laptop or to my external hard drive.

The laptop has loads of memory and so does the phone and hard drive.
The memory card is a Sandisk 64GB SDHC. A fast good quality card.

what are my options here?

- reformat the card losing everything?
- buy an SDHC - USB adaptor and try to transfer without a cable?
- Upload the files to an external source and then re-download onto the laptop? (i have no external cloud based storage platforms at present)
- attempt on another laptop?

Regards,

Sorry, can't help.

Note, most people will not post a "read your question but can't help you" reply as it kills the "unanswered post" flag, but as you've done that with the bump I thought there was no harm in it..

I have tried more than one cable yes.
Genuine Samsung cables too.

How efficient is bluetooth? Bearing in mind there is about 10GB of data to transfer.

Could it be that your phone is going to sleep during the transfer? Does the transfer stop when the phone's screen goes out? An alternative you could try is to connect your hard disk directly to your phone - and do the transfer without your laptop. The other option, is that if you have an micro SD card- is to move your music on there - and then remove the sd card from the phone, and using a usb card reader - to transfer from the card onto your computer

The phone is not going to sleep as ive been caught out by that one before!
Ive set the display on to the maximum of 10 mins, and touch the phone every few mins to ensure its still awake.
The file transfer stops less than 5 minues in anyway.

My hard drive connects via USB, not micro USB. Would an adaptor still allow connectivity and compatibility?

I did try removing the card and transfering but that also failed, leaving me to suspect the card.
However, im not satisfied the card reader is of good working quality, so i have just been on Amazon to purchase an Anker one.
This will help to rule out the card being the problem, but i must wait a few days for delivery.

Bluetooth is a no go as i cannot share folders, only individual files. - This isnt practical with over 2000 files.

Thanks

Yes, bluetooth is not good for anything other than the odd file or two - ie small data transfers. Attempting to transfer so many files will take too long by which time you'll probably have had an interruption in the connection part of the way through. Does sound like something is wrong if you're finding it hard to get the data off the card / phone. If you get an micro USB to USB OTG adaptor you should be able to attach your Hard Disk, so long as your hard disk is externally powered - ie it plugs into the mains. I'm not sure your phone would have sufficient power to run the hard disk if it's USB powered only.

If both phone to computer attempts, and the sd card reader are failing I'm afraid it does look like both methods are running into errors which might mean some sort of problem with the data. Good luck!!

Yes the hard drive plugs into the mains so i can look into that.
I will try taking the card out and transferring that way first.

Thanks, i need it!

Back