Issue using multi flash mode, Yongnuo 560 v3/4 with Panasonic G5

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
I tried taking what I expected was a simple photo, a multi flash image capturing a party popper being set off, however no matter what settings I used I could only ever generate a single flash. Both the YN560 flashes (v3 & v4) output a multi flash at the set frequency when using the test button but no joy when either directly connected to the hotshoe on my Panasonic G5 or wirelessly connected to a YN560 TX unit. I do have a workaround where I can repeatedly trigger either flash via their PC port (relay contacts shorting the input) but would really like the flash to work as designed.

Any ideas why it doesn't work, is there something proprietary on the Panasonic hotshoe signalling that only works with their own flashes for this level of operation? All other elements of the flashes work whether there is a direct connection or supplied over the wireless trigger.

I can't answer your question - neither flashguns nor Panasonic cameras are my thing - but this video may help a bit once you've solved the problem.

I took a series of separate photos, shooting at (I think) 14 shots per second. The party poppers were a bit disappointing in terms of drama, so I put a pinch of flour on the top of each before it was set off.

I tried taking what I expected was a simple photo, a multi flash image capturing a party popper being set off, however no matter what settings I used I could only ever generate a single flash. Both the YN560 flashes (v3 & v4) output a multi flash at the set frequency when using the test button but no joy when either directly connected to the hotshoe on my Panasonic G5 or wirelessly connected to a YN560 TX unit. I do have a workaround where I can repeatedly trigger either flash via their PC port (relay contacts shorting the input) but would really like the flash to work as designed.

Any ideas why it doesn't work, is there something proprietary on the Panasonic hotshoe signalling that only works with their own flashes for this level of operation? All other elements of the flashes work whether there is a direct connection or supplied over the wireless trigger.

I have found the best way to control the 560 flash units and the TX unit is to set them to M. Also the flashes need to be set to wireless RX. If it's still not working I would suspect it's something to do with the flash mode the camera is set to. I suspect you have it set to somethin like TTL and the camera may need to be set to manual flash mode.

You might want to try making your own trigger for your camera that will then trigger your flash the normal way. Even someone with almost no electronic experience should be able to make one of these. The sound of the pop will trigger the camera, which will then trigger the flash.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhBQV_0T0M

Charley

I have found the best way to control the 560 flash units and the TX unit is to set them to M. Also the flashes need to be set to wireless RX. If it's still not working I would suspect it's something to do with the flash mode the camera is set to. I suspect you have it set to somethin like TTL and the camera may need to be set to manual flash mode.
Thanks for the reply.
The YN560 flashes are working fine when triggered via a YN560-TX control unit on my hotshoe, the only issue I have is getting the flashes to run multi flash mode (stroboscobic/repeating flash). I can set the flash frequency and count and generate the sequence by pressing the flash test button, I just can't make ir do anything other than a single flash when triggered from the camera. My flashes do not support TTL so that's not where the issue is being caused, possibly it's just a limitation.

Are you setting Multi mode on the transmitter?

Are you setting Multi mode on the transmitter?
Yes, on the YN-560 TX unit I have multi mode set, this sends the active setting to the flashes, depending on what group I have them set as. Pressing the test button on the controller does not result in any flash going off more than once, I can only generate the stroboscopic state if the test button is pressed on the respective flash when set in multi mode.

Back