Issue with Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS

Edit My Images
No
I recently purchased the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens for my Nikon D5000 from Amazon UK.
As soon as I got it out of the box, I took it into the garden to test it out. I quickly discovered that the focussing seemed to be awry. Although pictures appeared to be in focus through the viewfinder, on reviewing the photos the DOF of sharpness was behind the point of focus.
Let me illustrate...

Sigma lens issue 1 by Vicktrr, on Flickr

As you can see, the focus point was on the 'k' but the area in focus is in fact the 'co'.

And another, slightly more obvious, example...

Sigma lens issue 2 by Vicktrr, on Flickr

I have since returned the lens for a full refund, however I am now debating whether to purchase again in the hope of receiving a properly functioning lens! Has anyone else had an issue like this? Do you think it is an issue of compatability with my D5000 (there shouldn't be an issue there though) or just a lens that slipped through quality control...

Any comments gratefully recieved :)

It's not unheard of. Just a bit of back-focus that is normally fixed with AF microadjustment on the camera. Don't think Nikon D5000 has this, in which case it would need Sigma to recalibrate the lens for you - which they'd do FOC.

I just bought one of these happy to report no focus issues with mine its bang on.

It's not unheard of. Just a bit of back-focus that is normally fixed with AF microadjustment on the camera. Don't think Nikon D5000 has this, in which case it would need Sigma to recalibrate the lens for you - which they'd do FOC.

Ahh! I did contact Sigma directly and explained the problem but the guy said there's no reason for it not to work and for me to contact my dealer instead. At least if it happens again I'd have some idea now :)

Back