Issue with the camera or the development?

Name
Morris
Edit My Images
Yes
I shot the attached on my Agfa Isolette II. It is three frames of 120 Portra scanned together. I got 6 frames like this and six that were fine (first six fine last six like this).

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions as to the cause?2023-01-12-0007.jpg

Here is the previous frame where you can see things begin to go wrong.
2023-01-12-0009.jpg

Last edited:
well not knowing the camera, and a guess, it might be shutter drag as I had this once but on a SLR on a night shot (after a long time not used) and it cleared after use. So if the last 6 frames were ok then your camera might have cleared also.

Did you have the camera held in portrait orientation (no idea why you would as it is square isn't it) as the motion looks wrong for winding side to side. What shutter speed do you think you had for the second shot?
That second shot seems like you did not move from that spot for the whole time it was being exposed as the light trails match that advertisement.

That first definitely looks like winding with the shutter open but in the same place as the lines continue and are the same throughout.

The second shot is very ICM and a happy accident for me.

Last edited:
Did you have the camera held in portrait orientation (no idea why you would as it is square isn't it) as the motion looks wrong for winding side to side. What shutter speed do you think you had for the second shot?
That second shot seems like you did not move from that spot for the whole time it was being exposed.

That first definitely looks like winding with the shutter open but in the same place as the lines continue and are the same throughout.

The second shot is very ICM and a happy accident for me.
I don't think I would have put it in portrait but sometimes I forget I am shooting a 6x6 so I could have. Shutter speed was likely slow, maybe 1/25 at a guess.

I wouldn't have been surprised if I got a couple of frames that looked like that but six of them seems a lot and there is only one of those six frames that has an image in it and I might have expected some more background images like in frame 7.

The second shot posted made me think of Bladerunner (the original movie).

I guess I'll just need to shoot another test roll and see what I get. I'll shoot B&W and develop it myself.

Cheers Alf.

Last edited:
I don't think I would have put it in portrait but sometimes I forget I am shooting a 6x6 so I could have.

I wouldn't have been surprised if I got a couple of frames that looked like that but six of them seems a lot and there is only one of those six frames that has an image in it and I might have expected some more background images like in frame 7.

The second shot posted made me think of Bladerunner (the original movie).

I guess I'll just need to shoot another test roll and see what I get. I'll shoot B&W and develop it myself.

Cheers Alf.

Shoot tests on a tripod and in different locations and check the shutter is closing a trial with the back open before loading a film would help to check the shutter

As an ICM shooter winding the film with the shutter open would give a similiar effect

Sideways motion

Parton ICM by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Vertical motion

Bamboo ICM by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Walking with shutter open

Bridge crossing by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Thank you for the examples, seems I was an 'unaware ICM shooter' for a few minutes. I do follow an ICM shooter on Instagram but her work is a lot like your top and second images whereas your third image really bring home to me what I almost certainly did.

Great work Alf.

So I ran through a test of the shutter speeds and each worked as they should.

So I clearly did something wrong myself. Oh well, every day is an education.

EDIT: thinking back I may have used the cable release so I might well have made an error with that, somehow locking open the shutter. It was dark so I may have used Bulb mode and that would explain it.

Last edited:
So I ran through a test of the shutter speeds and each worked as they should.

So I clearly did something wrong myself. Oh well, every day is an education.

EDIT: thinking back I may have used the cable release so I might well have made an error with that, somehow locking open the shutter. It was dark so I may have used Bulb mode and that would explain it.

You have to remember when you switch from digital to film to adjust your work flow the same when switching from camera to camera they all behave differently. I was shooting landscapes the other week and picked up my Olympus XA and was about to try and shoot at 1/15 th sec handheld and remembered in time that it wouldn't work. Of course my other camera hand holding at much longer shutter speeds is possible.

Last edited:
Back