Issues around Pinterest

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
'.... Pinterest is a relatively new social network, which has grown like crazy over the last 18 months. It's based around the idea of 'pinning' stuff you find around the web to 'boards' you keep on Pinterest. It's an interesting twist on social bookmarking, because it collects and displays visual content, rather than just listing and linking to the things you find interesting.

But because of the way it collects that content, it's been causing us an increasing amount of concern - and it seems we're far from alone...'

http://www.blipfoto.com/blog/2012/02/22/copyright-on-blipfoto-images-and-why-we-ve-blocked-pinterest

They have now announced a bit of meta date for websites that don't want images pined

<meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" />

I've just come across it and really like it. There are some well know photographers joining.

I always include a link back to the original source though

It's very useful for organising online videos, tutorials or just images for future ideas. Would also work very well as a mood board that a potential client could interact with

Whilst we might bemoan the state of the internet I think we have to accept that there is an element of people out there that will try and copy other peoples work for some sort of gain, we need to be on guard against that but it's going to happen. I think that needs to be seen differently to sharing sources and link-backs that if done in the right spirit can only highlight a good photographer to others. It would be a shame to kill of that spirit of freedom in the same way we moan about the public killing off the spirit of photography.

Social web company in data harvesting shocker.

If you want security for your images put your hand in your pocket and pay for a secure service.

Back