It’s missing I never noticed

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
The wife asked me to pick up some milk yesterday and all I could find in the rack was blue top we usually have green semi skimmed , but that got me thinking WHERE has the full cream gold top milk gone .. used to love it years ago especially on corn flakes etc ..
Makes me wonder what else has quietly fallen by the wayside ???

I think it’s regarded as unhealthy now isn’t it Jeff?

We only drink goats milk now. Try finding that in Tesco’s!

Gold top is still available in some places ... but beware the "smooth" variety which doesn't have the cream on top! I get mine from the big Sainsbury near me.

We only drink goats milk now. Try finding that in Tesco’s!
Years ago, my lad had various food allergies, one was dairy products,
but he was OK with goats milk.
We used to get that from Tesco.
But that was years ago now.

Now I've retired I miss the raw milk from the farm shop, somewhere in darkest Norfolkshire..
( not far from the old Shipdham airfeild)

Goats milk in our house too.....

Sainsbury's, CoOp & Waitrose sell it. Though in the past when Tesco shopping they also had it but not regularly!

@Cobra the only time I recall having raw milk was in North Wales on the School rock climbing trips in the late '60's to '70's. Staying in a barn and going to the farm door and depending on timing it was still warm from the cow!

Now I've retired I miss the raw milk from the farm shop, somewhere in darkest Norfolkshire..
( not far from the old Shipdham airfeild)

I still get that from a farm near Bury, they do all their own meat etc and local produce

It has to be cold, I can't stand warm milk at all.
For sure........though of course porridge needs to be warm and I make that with milk ;)

But in the case I talk about, the milk was for cornflakes and of course a cuppa :)

I always loved milk and like many others of my generation used to have the cream off the Gold Top on my cereal if possible. A glass of cold milk was always my favourite drink too.

When my youngest granddaughter was born nearly seven years ago, it was discovered that she had a serious allergy to anything dairy. So because of this I stopped having milk in the house and changed to Oat Milk.

Thankfully, she outgrew the allergy, but although I've tried, I just can't go back to ordinary milk now - it make me want to gag. I can still eat cream and yoghurt though. Strange . . .

Last edited:
.though of course porridge needs to be warm and I make that with milk
I don't like that either, so I stand by my comment milk has to be cold :D

I don't like that either, so I stand by my comment milk has to be cold :D
What.......no porridge, you heathen you ;)

PS I no longer drink tea with milk....and have not done for some years....decaff green tea for me :)

I no longer drink tea with milk..
Foul stuff :(
I never drink tea. the smell is enough to put me off.
If someone stirs a tea, and then stirs my coffee ( unseen by me) with the same spoon without rinsing it,
I have to throw that cup away and make a fresh one.

Last edited:
Two and a half Weetabix in a bowl, with hot milk :banana:

When I was in my late teens and early 20's I remember eating slices of beef in gravy out of a tin, I can't remember what it was called. I used to have it with mashed potato made from Smash. "For mash get smash..." I haven't seen either for years. I used to like Romany cream biscuits but I haven't seen them for years either.

In them days I also used to crack eggs into a glass and drink them. Urgh.

When I was in my late teens and early 20's I remember eating slices of beef in gravy out of a tin, I can't remember what it was called. I used to have it with mashed potato made from Smash. "For mash get smash..." I haven't seen either for years. I used to like Romany cream biscuits but I haven't seen them for years either.

In them days I also used to crack eggs into a glass and drink them. Urgh.

I recall making a few times what I think was called a Banana egg flip in the liquidiser.............can't recall now what it had apart from a banana & an egg ???

I recall making a few times what I think was called a Banana egg flip in the liquidiser.............can't recall now what it had apart from a banana & an egg ???

I've always been thin so the egg drinking and force feeding myself was an attempt to change my body shape.

:LOL: cutting out/reducing the caffeine is to cut down on the p***ing ;)

After cutting out all coffee and tea for a couple of weeks then reintroducing them alongside other liquids, I've found that they make no difference to my micturition. I have never drunk either after 16:30 though.

Light weight I can eat 3 :D

Willy waving ahead - as a 14/15 year old, breakfast was normally 6 weetabix and more than a pint of milk - it was the only (affordable) way to get enough calories inside at the start of the day. I was probably eating 9,000 to 10,000 calories a day at that point and burning them all on the bike.

Now I think 1 would be enough. :(

Can you still get sterilised milk?
As a kid in the East End we always had it, no fridge and it lasted ages.
My dad called it "Bulls milk", came in a long neck bottle with a crown cap

Yes I remember that milk, disgusting!

My brother would drink it straight from the bottle, ugh!

Yep I remember that to , wasn’t there tins of sterilised milk to and condensed milk as well ,things disappear from sight till you get a memory jog ..

Yep I remember that to , wasn’t there tins of sterilised milk to and condensed milk as well ,things disappear from sight till you get a memory jog ..

There was definitely evaporated and condensed milk, also tinned cream, only remember sterilised in bottles though.
Much better when we got a fridge, red top milk and sometimes gold top plus the really nice Orange drink the milkman delivered.

Seems weird now to think we went shopping pretty much every day for food.
Mind you fresh bread and cakes were nice, fresh veg was tasty and cheap too.
Ten pounds of spuds, spring green, cauli and cabbage were my regulars up the greengrocers with the veg bag.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to that milkman’s orange juice? It was fantastic stuff and far better than any of the ‘quality’’ stuff sold in the supermarkets. when I was a kid the delivery on the step every day was two gold tops and one orange juice. I suppose all that stuff went the way of the milkman, never to be seen again. I remember our milkman had a horse who used to know the route and pull up outside the relevant houses while the milkman followed along behind delivering from a wire crate he was carrying. Yes, I am that old!

Whatever happened to that milkman’s orange juice? It was fantastic stuff and far better than any of the ‘quality’’ stuff sold in the supermarkets. when I was a kid the delivery on the step every day was two gold tops and one orange juice. I suppose all that stuff went the way of the milkman, never to be seen again. I remember our milkman had a horse who used to know the route and pull up outside the relevant houses while the milkman followed along behind delivering from a wire crate he was carrying. Yes, I am that old!

We had fruit and veg delivered by horse and cart when I was a kid in the late 50s, but I can't remember how the milk came.

I also remember my mother telling me that her father used to take a rickshaw home for lunch in Durban, in the 1920s and 30s, and they were still in use as everyday transport in Hong Kong during the 1970s.

but I can't remember how the milk came.
Out of a cows teat, which kinda begs the question, who discovered it, and why?
:D

Out of a cows teat, which kinda begs the question, who discovered it, and why?
:D
Udderly unbelievable .............................

.......................................:exit:

The milk man used to deliver gold top to our house years ago, you had to get it inside quickly before the birds got at the cream. It used to form a plug at the top, you had to eat some of the cream before you could pour the milk - or so I did as a kid anyway ;)

The orange juice was the best, even better than the dandilion and burdock!

Whatever happened to that milkman’s orange juice? It was fantastic stuff and far better than any of the ‘quality’’ stuff sold in the supermarkets.
Absolutely (y)
you had to get it inside quickly before the birds got at the cream.
They had that down to a fine art around my way.
Again it begs a question, how did they figure that out?
We'll just peck at this foil thingy and see what's under it ..

Udderly unbelievable .............................

.......................................:exit:
Don't be a tit :p

I remember the OJ being in 1/3 pint bottles with green foil caps......................delivered with some Tunnocks Caramel bars was the Saturday morning treat :)

PS no horse deliveries as we lived on the fourth floor......but battery powered floats for sure that the milky left unattended and afaik there were never any thefts from it......nicer more respectful & different days back then ;)

Last edited:
I remember the orange juice - loved it at the time, but the only think orange about it was the colour.

If I couldn't have full fat dairy I'd just go coconut, find any other kind putrid. I like goats cheese but couldn't stomach the milk

Back