It came from out of nowhere

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
There I was grabbing ten minutes this morning, just about to pack up when this guy descended in, not a sound which is to be expected I suppose.
Aprox 6ft away, having snapped a few smaller species I did not even attempt to zoom out. Two shots and it was gone as quickly and as silently as it had arrived. This one is going to print, so if any of you experts could advise whether or not I have the colours looking fairly close to what they should be it would be much appreciated, not having seen one this close I did not spend too much on PP. Thanks for looking.

Spar-1.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning Rich, a great capture, should look well on your wall.

Regards: Gordon

Thats a beauty Rich, just look at the detail in the eye, you can see reflections of the area. Its a shame its not full length but even so its a great catch. Do you think it might look better in portrait mode rather than landscape?
As for colours, it looks very close to one in my garden last Sunday when stupidly I didnt have a camera with me. Having only seen one close up I cant be 100% sure, but if not its very close indeed.
Well done, you should be proud of that (y)

Terrific capture, congratulations.

What was the other shot like?

Absolutely superb shot!

Superb, what a fantastic, (and terribly fortunate!) capture.
well done (y)
:LOL: Ta
Absolutely stunning Rich, a great capture, should look well on your wall.

Regards: Gordon
Thank you Gordon
Thats a beauty Rich, just look at the detail in the eye, you can see reflections of the area. Its a shame its not full length but even so its a great catch. Do you think it might look better in portrait mode rather than landscape?
As for colours, it looks very close to one in my garden last Sunday when stupidly I didnt have a camera with me. Having only seen one close up I cant be 100% sure, but if not its very close indeed.
Well done, you should be proud of that (y)
Thanks Trev, I have done another quick edit, pity about the amount of romm but Ho! Humm!
Great shot Rich,you sure you don,t live in a very large bird aviary :shrug::thinking:,

regards,
john.
No john I dont, but I am sure the wife would love to lock me up in a cage :puke:
Terrific capture, congratulations.

What was the other shot like?
Thanks, virtually identical :LOL:
Absolutely superb shot!

Right place, right time Rich and well captured. I think I would have just sat/stood there with my mouth open and failed to get a shot off :bonk:

Thanks Nigel it did leave me scratching my head thinking did that just happen or not. Here is another edit and in portrait.

IMG_5643_filtered.jpg

Magnificent, I think I prefer the portrait edit.

Really like the edit, its an outstanding picture in my eyes Rich, I'd be jumping for joy to have taken that, very well done indeed mate :clap:

Cracking capture Rich :clap: colours look fine to me. I know the feeling as I had one pitch near to me last year in the garden - you got to be quick as they don't hang around once they know you are there. I think I prefer the tighter crop - should make a great print.

Super colours, congrats :) It's amazing how fast these type of birds just appear out of nowhere, then you blink and they have gone..

Cracking capture, the one I got caught me by surprise as well, this is mine for comparison, looks a bit greyer. Male/Female diffs perhaps. This was shot through double glazing.

Img_0282c.jpg

Last edited:
Beauty, love that eye and the detail's excellent :clap:

well caught Rich stunning eye such a shame you only got half but its a great thrill to capture these birds and you don t get long to get the shot

As I was reading through these are my thoughts to.

Great detail and that eye, simply stunning

Nice shot. The sharpness of the eyes is good. high 5 for the capture

Wow stunning aren't they, shame you didn't have time to get the whole thing, but that's the fun of shooting wildlife, cracking picture anyway
Have one that often dines in my garden on collared doves,never when I have the camera to hand though or the doors open

Last edited:
Almost the same thing happened with me not long ago. It zoomed in and perched not ten feet away, but with its head behind a branch, and all i could see was its back and tail. Beautiful detail Rich. :clap:

Lovely shot.
I would be tempted to increase the contrast of the reflection so that it could be seen even better on the black, and reduce it a little on the orange (as it just blends in slightly IMO at the top.

However, there is a train of thought that this image would look great un-touched

Thanks again all for the feedback. Coldpenguin ta for the suggestion and I will look into doing that before it goes to print. Somebody elswhere suggested that perhaps more of a head and shoulder crop would suite, what do I know :shrug: I suppose it is an alternative as far as viewing on the screen is concerned, but I think if it gets done to canvas then I want my money`s worth :D

Colours are about right Rich (y)
Cracking little Musket (Male) well captured

Great shot Rich, that's a beauty of a bird, eye looks fantastic - I would've suggested cropping exactly how you have done in your portrait edit (y)

Geoff

Prefer the edit Rich - cracking feather detail.

Colours are about right Rich (y)
Cracking little Musket (Male) well captured
Thanks Chris, will leave as is then (y)
He is indeed a fine one Rich ... :clap:
Well part of a fine one Martyn :( ;)
Awesome capture.

Great shot Rich, that's a beauty of a bird, eye looks fantastic - I would've suggested cropping exactly how you have done in your portrait edit (y)

Geoff
Thank you Geoff
Prefer the edit Rich - cracking feather detail.

Cheers Tom, just need to get the Robin trained up now for a bit of Harry Houdini work :thinking: Plan is to lash him down on the perch as live bait :nuts:

Amazing shot, definitely a case of in the right place at the right time!! I'm so jealous!!

Back