It`s all about the perch

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I know that a decent perch can make an image and i have a couple from the weekend that i just cant decide upon. The first 2 images are of a Siskin on a very bare looking perch which i dont like much and think it detracts from the images. The next is a juv. Greenfinch which landed on a perch which had loads of moss and detail, it frames the bird but i just think its to overpowering, i have tried a few crops keeping the perch in the frame and cant find one i like ( if i clone out the vertical branch on the left its better but dont want to keep cloning images )--What`s your thoughts on the perches and images in general-

120611_0543.jpg

120611_0545.jpg

120611_0550.jpg

WoW ! I'm not an experienced bird image viewer - but those are beautiful.
I love the composition on the 1 :)
Just a question - did you mean for such a dramatic DOF effect on 3 ? It looks a tiny bit soft to me around the birds eye.

I really like the first two, they're superb and I think the perch works well, as do the backgrounds.
I don't like the greenfinch as much but it's more to do with the pose of the bird rather than the perch.
I do tend to prefer natural looking shots rather than perfect looking perches that have been set up which seem a bit clinical to me but that's just my opinion

WoW ! I'm not an experienced bird image viewer - but those are beautiful.
I love the composition on the 1 :)
Just a question - did you mean for such a dramatic DOF effect on 3 ? It looks a tiny bit soft to me around the birds eye.

The perch was angled so that the left side was nearer me and i couldnt do anything about that, i knew that 1/3rd in front would be ok but any more out of focus and any more than 2/3rds behind the bird so basically-Yes i knew it would have the OOF effect--not saying i like it though :wacky:I dont oversharpen y images and the eye in number 3 seems fine on my pc.(y)

sometimes the picture says it all

great set just enjoy them i am

I would be well happy with the first two Mark, perch and all (y) I can see why you are not happy with the last one though. The perch does seem to dominate the picture. My only thought would be to crop something like this. I am guessing but could well be wrong that the original was slightly underexposed :shrug: The subject seems to have lost a bit of colour and contrast due to trying to lift it in PP.

120611_0550.jpg

Like the first perch.
A variation on the second would be good, one with moss but, as Rob says, without the thinner distracting left hand section.

Back