" Its A Start "

P.S the date is wrong, hadn't changed it when I put new batteries in :D:rolleyes:

Buzzard ( camtrap ) 1 05-06-21 (1 of 1).jpgWith the appearance of a Buzzard at the hide I decided it was time to try out the DSLR camera trap set up I had, a friend supplied me with a couple of pigeons and with no actual experience of camera trapping in this way I set up my kit :) I used a Canon 550D with a 50mm 1.4 lens connected to the camtraptions wired sensor with this image being the result

Last edited:
Just an update for all that check page out, I have new owners/landlord so I've not posted for a few weeks but having spoken to them over the phone, they seem keen for me to carry on (y)

Update to the update :) I have found hopefully a more remote bit of land to rent for an hide/dslr camera trap togging, its a field with an hedge of which you can only access through a couple of fields and no public right of way, I will be checking it out on Sunday so if all looks good I'll be moving locations (y)

Pigs 24-01-22 (1 of 1).jpgNot exactly what I thought I'd see on the camera but at least I know the set up works :) (y)
The owner of the woodland rescues pigs by the way :)

REALLY good pork by all accounts! (Mangalista [? spelling] pigs from Hungary IIRC)

Well folks it looks like my project maybe coming to an end, the bloke who was buying the land has had the sale fall through, unless I can find another piece of land that will be that I'm afraid

Well folks it looks like my project maybe coming to an end, the bloke who was buying the land has had the sale fall through, unless I can find another piece of land that will be that I'm afraid

Sorry to hear that. Is there a compromise to be found with current or future owners?

Got myself another piece of land to rent to start my project off again, its basically grazing land that's been left to go wild somewhat with some gorse growing along one side, and a line of trees on one edge. The owner has seen Fox sometimes with cubs plus Buzzard around the area so I put a couple of trail cameras out to see what visits, I'll post some photos of the place to give you some idea of what the land is like.
Sorry to hear that. Is there a compromise to be found with current or future owners?

IMG_0327.jpgI've not posted for a while but here is an image of three buzzards on the trail camera from a few days ago, with the lease sorted to rent the land I'm going now to try and get things up and running for spring/summer 2023. Both using my A9 and trying out dslr camera trapping, species seen as well as buzzards were jays, owls, fox and a variety of smaller woodland birds.

Jealous over here. ;)

Enjoying watching this progress, I wish you well. (y)

IMG_0110.jpgAnother image from the trail camera, hoping to sit out and get some photo's with my camera, tripod and a bag hide.

I am thinking of getting a portable photography hide from Tragopan, the lagopus chair with either a cammo tent cover the 3D blanket, I've bought the chair and the 3D blanket as the cammo cover was out of stock. Anyone who has experience of using Tragopan hides etc, could you give your thoughts on using their products.

I have a couple of Tragopan Monal v2 hides and they are superb. Incredibly versatile and well made, if a little short on height for me personally. - I would suggest buying the 'optional' end 'half door' nets, which allow you to more easily use both ends of the hide, whilst getting a wider field of view! - Mine are in fairly constant use and have stood up to being left 'on site' for prolonged periods.

I also have a very old 'Simon King' hide, which has no right to still be standing, having been left at my Kingfisher site for over 3 years now, but is still going strong!

Bag hides and chair hides are great for shorter 'single session' projects, but of course, they do not protect you from the elements and will not give you the space to move around after sitting in one position for hours on end (on average, I spend 4hours at a time). However, they do work and I have taken many great shots from using them.

Good luck with your project.

I have a couple of Tragopan Monal v2 hides and they are superb. Incredibly versatile and well made, if a little short on height for me personally. - I would suggest buying the 'optional' end 'half door' nets, which allow you to more easily use both ends of the hide, whilst getting a wider field of view! - Mine are in fairly constant use and have stood up to being left 'on site' for prolonged periods.

I also have a very old 'Simon King' hide, which has no right to still be standing, having been left at my Kingfisher site for over 3 years now, but is still going strong!

Bag hides and chair hides are great for shorter 'single session' projects, but of course, they do not protect you from the elements and will not give you the space to move around after sitting in one position for hours on end (on average, I spend 4hours at a time). However, they do work and I have taken many great shots from using them.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks for the info on your use of these hides, I'm going with the chair hide for now and at a future date will look into maybe the V6 which offers a little more space for extra kit gear etc

@FromTarn - seems like you`ve got plenty going on around the hide with a good variety of wildlife to photograph , Looking forward to seeing how this progresses throughout the coming months ..

Here is a great review of the Two person Tragopan Monal hide >>> Hide Review <<<
The Single person hide looks great too , some very good reviews on YouTube

Coho - Blue

@FromTarn - seems like you`ve got plenty going on around the hide with a good variety of wildlife to photograph , Looking forward to seeing how this progresses throughout the coming months ..

Here is a great review of the Two person Tragopan Monal hide >>> Hide Review <<<
The Single person hide looks great too , some very good reviews on YouTube

Coho - Blue
Thanks I'm hoping for good things for the area, I'll take a look at the monal hide too

IMG_0333.jpgIMG_0316.jpgTrail camera out all week with a recent lamb casualty as bait for the buzzards, new arrival in the evening and night time was the tawny owl which visited every day to feed on the free meal

385920728_165631013270509_3853301834519791965_n.jpg359813509_107828055717472_2454338365686446338_n.jpg370629313_140018165831794_4916027718924850782_n.jpg371542010_140018195831791_6815727078135575903_n.jpgWell its been a year more or less and since then I have two hides up, a temporary tragopan and a permanent one big enough for two people, here are some of the images I have managed via my A9 and the 200-600mm lens and at night with a flash, the tawny owl was taken via a dslr camera trap set up.

391719195_172930005873943_3533961279805991147_n.jpg391717039_172915875875356_103253232913681686_n.jpg these were taken with the same dslr camera trap system with flash and the lens was a 10-22mm same as with the owl, I will change it to a 50mm at some point

Nice work, but can I suggest that you position your hides/cameras, so as to avoid 'human' fences and gates in the final images, which will enhance your images and make them look more 'natural'. - It's the attention to detail when setting up the shot, that will pay dividends in the final images.

Keep at it and enjoy the experience!

Nice work, but can I suggest that you position your hides/cameras, so as to avoid 'human' fences and gates in the final images, which will enhance your images and make them look more 'natural'. - It's the attention to detail when setting up the shot, that will pay dividends in the final images.

Keep at it and enjoy the experience!
Thanks for the tips the ones of the wire fence were just where the badgers were comfortable feeding and to see how they would react to the flash, I'd only used a small led security light to start with.

Back