its all in the name..

Name
AndyT
Edit My Images
Yes
just joined so thought i would do the customary and give a little intro..

the name is andyt.. 30 something living on the border between leeds and bradford .. some call it purgatory :)

from the age of .. erm.. very young i have had a mild interested in photography, which culminated in owning a fuji stx1n some 20+yrs ago, along with a couple of lenses shared with my dad..
jump forward about 15 years and i made some first steps into digital photography with a small but v expensive kodak at 1.3MP.. then upgraded to a kodak with zoom then to a kodak z650 lovely little camera for what it is.. but always missed the control i had over my efforts with my film camera.

i am now on the verge of persuading darling wife that a full DSLR is what we need to enjoy some lovely photography like what i did when i were a lad..
now i know the camera does not maketh the man, but a quality machine with some decent lenses will sure help turn good snaps into better photos..
for me mostly landscapes, wildlife and maybe some portraits.. (i have a small amount of experience), for her probably family shots, maybe some scenery, but a complete novice.

i have had a play with an eos400d, which i am sure is a great camera, and some sample shots clearly blow the old kodak out of the water, but i am just not sure it felt right in my hand.
today i have held a nikon d80 which felt good with a 55-135mm lens on it.
i have considered a nikon d40x for cost and spec, but have also had recommended a canon 40d more money yes, but i am assured if i got something like a 400d or the d40x i would want to upgrade too soon to something better...

so now you know a little about me.. who fancies chipping in with some advice..

thanks in advance..

andyt

hello and welcome aboard...

my best advice would be...erm!!! take note of all advise given from these guys :LOL:

Hi and welcome :wave:

Hi and welcome.

With regard to the camera situation i would go and test out some different models, hold them and see which feels best. In terms of buying something now and then wanting to upgrade think about what types of photography you will be doing. For example if you are shooting sports then you will want as high an fps rate as you can get. This may then rule out certain models for you.

Hope this helps

Hello :)

Only advice I would suggest is do it!

If you have had film SLR in the past you are going to love DSLR.

Back