It's Carnival time of year again in Somerset

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Bridgwater Carnival, variously hailed as the largest illuminated procession in Europe and/or in the world, kicked off carnival season in style on Saturday night. There are 8 carnivals altogether, Bridgwater last Saturday, Burnham-on-Sea last night, Weston-super-Mare on Friday 9th, North Petherton on Saturday 10th, Midsomer Norton on Monday 12th, Shepton Mallet on Wednesday 14th, Wells on Friday 16th and Glastonbury on Saturday 17th. Here are just a few shots of some of the 100ft long carts created by the major carnival clubs! They will start working on next year's entries as soon as this year's carnivals have finished. It really is an amazing free show that they put on every year!! :)

Blimey they know how to put on a show , excellent

Excellent pictures that seem to really capture and convey the atmosphere of a remarkable event:)

“Excellent” set of shots Sir, and very well presented.(y)

George

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It really is a wonderful experience...if you've never seen it, I can heartily recommend a visit! It can be traced back at least 170 years (probably much further), so hopefully it should have a few more years left yet! :)

I've been planning to get to one of the carnivals for the past 5 years ... maybe next year I'll actually manage one :)

Back