it's me!

Name
karl
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally upgraded my camera now to the D90 from the d3000. I'm absolutely loving this camera!

here's my attempt anyway! Please give your opinions...

First is cropped only.

_DSC5819 by KDerner, on Flickr

Cropped, vignette and flare

_DSC5819edit by KDerner, on Flickr

It doesn't need the bells and whistle. The original is nice.

Thanks!

With the edit, it's was merely a play and something for my Facebook cover photo, lol. But thought I'd put it up to the more trained eye to see if it looked tacky or not.

Great self portrait.

Might be worth trying a short-lit version too to see if you prefer it.....

How do you mean short lit? Is that another type of low key?

Basically you've Lit the long side,(majority), of your face if you swapped the position of the light, (without changing pose), so that it lit the side that is currently dark you would be short lighting your face..

And yes it is considered a form of low key.

EDIT: The vignette I don't mind BUT Lose that horribly artificial lens flare.. it just looks tacky IMHO..

Last edited:
To be fair, i think the vignette on the second shot works well, but the flare is awful. Good first shot though! Nice also to see someone else from mansfield using a camera!

Thanks i understand now what you mean with the short lighting! Will give it a bash next time.

Hi matty, where about are you then? Will have to meet up some time for a chat, don't really know anyone local with a proper camera, lol. Be nice to learn a thing or two

Thanks everyone,

Might try an edit just with vignetting, i knew the flare would be a marmite touch. I have very limited skill with ps, so testing the water with it. And it's certainly clear those that have a clue/eye ie. You lot, have different opinions to Joe blogs. Which is good to know and learn from!

Black and white, with coloured flare looks odd. Have you tried a black and white flare to match?

Personally i think it's unnecessary though. I prefer the original.

Back