Its my 52 - Week 48 & 49: MECHANICAL & DISTANT

Hi Dade, you are posting these faster than I can keep up with them. I have found myself behind once again.

Photowalk: I am sure that Brighton has lots of really interesting photo opportunities and you have certainly made the most of it. I like all of these but the 2 that really stand out for me are the beach huts and the burnt out pier. Beautiful lighting on both of them.

Numbers: A very interesting selection, but I think my favourite is the bird on the boat. I just love the simplicity of the composition.

Graffiti: What an amazing selection of art. These guys are so talented. I really like the way you have shown on some of them where the graffiti is painted, without detracting from the graffiti itself. I think I agree with your chosen winner this week.

Jenny

I really hope that things start getting better on the personal side Dade. And I hope that the photography is at least giving you some escape from thinking about things.

The photowalk set is superb.
Great choice of winner with the beach huts, although I'm very drawn to the seagull too. Love the angle and vignetting - and fantastic detail. Can we have 2 winners for that week please?

Numbers : Interesting and creative interpretation. I've never thought about there being so many numbers around us. The brass clock is my favourite, but if we're talking about it fitting your theme then the winner gets a (y) from me.

Graffiti :confused:ome simply stunning artwork there and you've done a good job of capturing it.
If I had to chose a favourite, then it would be the skull based on subject matter and artistry . . . but from a photographic perspective I really like no.2. I love the 2 different sides to this shot - you can either see it as a house outlined against the white b/g (and the blown out sky does work for me in this instance) or ignore the outline and just view it as a piece of art on a canvas.

The graffitti shots are interesting, but essentially they are a record of someone else's art. I would have liked to see the graffitti in a wider context so that other elements contribute to the composition.

Phil

JENNY: Thanks Jenny your comments are always welcomed :)

SARAH: 2 winners?? hmm for you anything. Some weeks I feel the same and for that reason I sometimes post honourable mentions on my website.

PHIL: Yes matey, this is why I chose not to watermark any of them as they are someone elses work. Although very worthy of recording and even promoting i think. As for the context, where I thought it was needed and had no other distracting elements I did offer that view point - but sadly some were in not pleasant places and cars surrounding the images etc, so I gave them the best view I could at the time and made them the focal point, rather than the surroundings ;)

I hope things on the personal front start to look up soon Dade... Excellent set of images, you've captured the colours and feel of them nicely. I really like your chosen image, it's got a feel of being caught in the act about it.

Sorry Dade - got behind again.

A lot of good shots here but I agree with your chosen ones for Photowalk - classic composition and lovely lighting - and Numbers.

The graffiti is really impressive - I wonder how long it takes to do some of these huge murals.

I hope things are improving for you, and all credit to you for continuing with your photography.

JOHN / TRACER - thanks for the support :)
Today was my daughters 2nd birthday and even though I couldnt be with her, I did Skype her and bought her her first camera. It was nice to see her and watch her playing with it happily ;)

I had tried to do a night shoot before in Brighton, but felt un-inspired by the results. But tonight I set my mind to getting some shots in the bag and to look for something better than I had got before.
Even though it was bitterly cold I pressed on. My fingers numbing on each press of the shutter until finally my battery died and I called it a night. On the way home I stopped off for a quick hot mulled wine in a bar, well deserved I thought as the glass brought the circulation back into my hands ;)

enjoy the images
5216582514_a94f35dff4.jpg

5216615634_2d6b078db1.jpg

5216008705_39a2a1018f.jpg

5216022495_972acf478b.jpg

5215996829_a8e3f9baea.jpg

Winner: NIGHT
5216005901_d86c9eeffb.jpg

Very nice results there Dade... Not sure on the water reflections, although the winner works better. My personal fave is the second one of the clock tower.

Sorry to hear you couldn't be with your daughter on her birthday, but glad you got to talk and see her. What camera did you get her ? ;)

Hey John, Yeah a few people have said they like that shot of the tower too ;)
As for my daughters camera it was VTech Kidizoom Plus, big, pink, bash it about, kinda camera - but she was busy taken pics in a minute of opening it - so easy enough to use.

Another good set of images but I much prefer the first two to your chosen winner.

The light trails from the car and the amazing web of lights in the second shot really makes this one a winner!

Phil

Brrrrrrr - good for you for going out in such conditions. I'm too much of a softie, I'm afraid.

Your chosen shot is just a bit too dark for me, though I think that is partly my monitor. My favourites of this set are the first one and the fourth - both very striking, with enough to hold the interest without being fussy. The tower is very good too but I have seen lots of others like it.

I agree with philthejuggler, the first two in my opinion are defo the best ones. Like the composition and the colour of the lights. I do like the light trails in the 2nd one and I think this does add to the photo but if I had to choose my favourite would be number one.

Hi Dade, sorry I am a bit late with my comments. I have a suspicion that your next shots will be of the snow!

That's a nice set of night shots. My favourites are the first and fourth. The strings of lights are really eye-catching. Your chosen winner is a bit obscure for me, although it makes a nice abstract.

Hope your daughter is making good use of her camera. We bought one for our son for his birthday. He is handicapped and does not have good fine motor control, but cameras these days are so easy to use that even he can point and click.

Jenny

Phil et al you are all right, the second shot was my fav, but I wanted to test myself and get differing feedback - you all passed ;)

Hey Jenny, Im glad your son can join in with your passion, it must be very rewarding for him and you to see the results :)
So Jenny, Snow you say?!?! Well YES!!! lol.

This weeks theme is WINTER!!
I had a few things to sort out this week, my mac broke down on me and got sent away - I had to go have a brain scan and of course the vast amount of snow fall we had limited what I could do. But i made the best of it and I think I am still 2 weeks behind!?
Catch up time I think coming up.

On with the shots, well with snow all around, I could hardly miss getting a shot, finding a good one was harder. Now sure how I did ill let you guys decide ;)

5247951284_deb6e0b7d8.jpg

5247337555_dc9d9b2d98.jpg

5247937496_1d5b50f3cc.jpg

5247933588_71af5b1c75.jpg

5247341893_e727d5f879.jpg

Last edited:
The ones I find most striking are the two of the pavillion. Of the two I think my fav is the second one - I like the soft vignette you have added. It looks quite other-worldly, like something out of Narnia!

Glad to see you back Dade, it sounds like you've had a terrible few weeks. I hope that everything went OK with your scan.

Your Winter snow pics are beautiful, I'm starting to feel a bit left out with the absence of snow down here.
Like Tracer, I love the 2 pavilion ones. The second one definitely has that Narnia feel to it and I really like the strong geometric shapes in the first (although I think that one may have benefited from being a bit more centred and symmetrical.)

The Windmill shots stand out for me too though.
The first one is my favourite. I like the simplicity of it and the strong shapes against the sky, although it doesn't say Winter as strongly as the second.

Tracer and Sarah, comments welcomed and you both hightlighted some key points, glad you liked the pavilion shot, it is quite narnia-esque now you mention it ;)

As for the windmill, yeah I like the first slightly more - but as you rightly said it didnt say winter, but worth adding I thought. I also edited the snow a little more to only show one set of prints which I think makes for a nicer cleaner shot
HERE

Dade, you're being put through it at the moment... hope things look up soon..

lovely set... all good, but a few pick outs...

1) looks alpine ;)

4) Looks like it would fit in Russia, I do like the feel of that.

6) love the soft feel to that

8) my preference to the mill, a lovely angle and view. I have to agree though, it doesn't say winter as strongly as the chosen shot.

Hi Dade, another really nice set (y) The 2 pavillion shots stand out for me, especially the second, but I also really like both windmill shots. Yes, the second one definitely shouts winter. When I first looked at it I thought how lucky you were to get the shot before too many footprints messed it up. However, it was a clever bit of cloning instead. The footprints really lead the eye into the shot. A worthy winner :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

JENNY: on that shot - that is as was, was as is?!!? I didnt cheat, lol. On my Krysalis page I cloned out some of the tracks as I thought it made the shot a little messy.
But again please you liked them. There is no way im challenging you on nature shots ;)

JENNY: on that shot - that is as was, was as is?!!? I didnt cheat, lol. On my Krysalis page I cloned out some of the tracks as I thought it made the shot a little messy.
But again please you liked them. There is no way im challenging you on nature shots ;)

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, I agree cloning them out made it a cleaner shot, but I prefer the blue on the original photo best.

Jenny

Dade, another cracking set of images. The variation you bring to your weekly challenge is admirable. I agree on your winner, that is the stand-out photograph for me. It has to be said that both you and Jenny certainly have an eye for a photograph IMHO. Best wishes to you Dade (y)

Oooh - some strong winter shots there, Dade. I actually like the first one best - I like the sense of peeking around the trees to view the beautiful building. It works really well in mono as well.

Phil

Wow this 52 has been much tougher than I ever thought. Im not sure I will do this again for at least another year. By which time I hope my photography will have improved slightly more, time will tell ;)

As I am behind and lighting is awful currently I have suffered to find something worthwhile and still lacking motivation somewhat. To make matters slightly worse I seem to have developed an issue with my shoulder/back - not too sure what it is but it is very tender to the slightest touch, yet not so painful when pressed? Also today I felt what seemed like a very hot needle being inserted into my back, there wasn't, that is unless someone has a voodoo doll of me!?

I had a few more images I could have used for this theme, but I felt they weren't good enough, so I went with the stronger images rather than adding weaker ones just for the sake of it. I am sure if I took longer I could come up with something better, but I'm happy with the few shots I have.
I went for a hike (and a proper hike it was) up to the Jack and Jill windmills in the South Downs. Sadly the Jack windmill is on private land and cannot be accessed, having said that Jack is quite a dilapidated windmill unlike Jill. So I happily snapped away at Jill while I looked for interesting angles and shapes to shoot.
It was a tough call between the sewing machine and the windmill, but given I had a windmill in last weeks winner I thought it fair to give the sewing machine a chance :)

5264318909_52d05c2ded.jpg

5264324515_62954403a2.jpg

5264326441_660a097595.jpg

Winner - MECHANICAL
5264322851_55514469b9.jpg

This theme was easier to do as it embodies more possibilities and allowed me to practise my landscape shots a little more too. Luckily the weather has been quite mixed of late, so I have managed to get some diverse, (and what I think) interesting landscape shots. I also found this fisherman who was lost in his own world as I snapped away. overall I liked this set ;)

5264329745_f3862935f0.jpg

5264341125_f65925256c.jpg

5264344415_a9e9cfb9fa.jpg

5264336249_bc0c5e9b0a.jpg

5264941240_192215fe79.jpg

Winner - DISTANT
5264346087_17d49a85c3.jpg

You have some cracking shots here since I last checked in Dade.

I particularly like the clock tower shots - lovely colours. I love your Night shot winner too. Great abstract.

I like the landscapes too. The 'steamy' sea is great, but I love the clouds.

Yup - I agree with your winner - love the dreamy soft landscape.

Phil

Hi Dade, hope your shoulder is improving. You really don't need any more problems this year and I hope 2011 will be better for you.

Mechanical: Both of the windmill shots really stand out for me. I love the composition and the B/W treatment. However, I understand that after last week's winner, you did not want to choose another windmill.

Distant: Another lovely set of shots. I like all of the them but the clouds and your winning shot are my favourites. I love the layers of the clouds and the lighting. Your winning shot just shows that it is possible to take interesting shots in lousy weather. The greyness has just had me throwing my hands up in horror, when maybe I should have tried being creative.

Keep going - nearly the end of the year.

Jenny

More great shots. My fav Mechanical is the second windmill but agree with your final choice of something different - I think I have seen similar sewing machines recently :D!

Your chosen 'Distant' is a classic - perfect composition and lovely muted tones.

Nearly at the end of the year! I hope your back is improving - I am finding that the prolonged cold is bringing on all sorts of aches and pains.

Well done for sticking with it this far Dade. It's been a pleasure looking at this thread and you've consistently produced not one good shot a week, but half a dozen :clap:

I know it's been an awful year for you - so here's hoping that 2011 is a better one.

Absolutely the right choice as winner for distant. Beautiful foggy landscape with a real ethereal feel.
I feel like the cloudscape deserves a mention too though. Deceptively simple, but a really beautiful shot.

Mechanical : I'm with Tracer on this. The windmill is my favourite, but it's good to have something different in here and the sewing machine fits the bill well.

Another great pair of sets Dade... tough to choose within them, I like them all.

Finally gotten around to finishing my 52! I have been busy with hospital, life and building my website - so lots going on.

anyway enough of my jabber - onto the shots
Week 51 - Christmas
5349946620_39d728870d.jpg

Week 52 - Composite
5349960584_7716b3ea30.jpg

Neither of which Im bowled over with, but completing them was a challenge and one I was determined to do.

I will NOT be doing another 52 this year, maybe the next.
If anyone wants to see my new 'improved' website please go to
www.krysalisphotography.com

Apologies for not keeping track of your photos, I've just spent some time going back and the photos are awesome as usual! Congratulations for completing it, hope you're doing OK. You really have kept the quality high in all your photos (something which I struggled with on my 365) and standout ones for me are the sunset one in #212, the first two Brighton ones in #247 and the walker on #254.

Just noticed you're on Flickr too, so I've added you!

Back