Its my 52 - Week 48 & 49: MECHANICAL & DISTANT

All excellent, interesting variety too, but I have to agree with you on the last, that just shouts Autumn loud and clear :clap:

Poses: Absolutely brilliant. I've spent ages checking they were all different. :bang::bang::bang: They are. :clap::clap::clap:

Autumn: This is so hard to chose a favourite - I've changed my mind several times. I like the bird's egg shot, just because it's different, and I really can't choose between the leaf and the black and white fungus. Both would lik great printed large to hang on the wall. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

WOW cheers guys, yet more wonderful comments, I will start to think im getting good at this ;)

Jenny: well now is the time for the dead leaves, so for it :)
Sarah: hey not many people like my face, guess im used to it, lol. Fungus is my second choice to be honest and got a spot on my website because of this
Iain: no way Jenny has some awesome fungus shots, jealous indeed!!
Phil: cheers Phil ;)
Patrick: that was my aim, so glad it says what I wanted it too
Jean: Thank you, yeah they are different surprising what you can do with time on your hands. Well im glad you liked the Autumn shots, I aim to get some variety in where possible and VERY pleased you think they would make great large prints ;)

A good collection of autumn shots - my fav is the leaf for its lovely composition and soft colours, but the yellow flower runs it close.(y)

Hey folks I know Ive been missing for a while, my life got turned upside down with my long term GF leaving me and taking my daughter, doesnt make it easier that we are in different countries. I aim to finish the 52, but obviously not feeling the point and focus right now :(

anyway here is some shots I got from Brighton while I was trying to get my head straight.
This weeks theme is Light and what better way to capture that than with sun rays, i did some night shots and pier illuminations, but not loving them, so...

runners up
5038960997_39362b3fb7.jpg

5038958493_29ff32e6e2.jpg

Theme: Light
5038962059_86f74a0c77.jpg

Week 37 - was Man-Made and there were lots of options, but mojo and energy drained, i found it hard to be inspired and creative.

runners up
5039558392_214e623391.jpg

5038941237_7bb95de44f.jpg

Theme: Man-Made
5039570088_3aa7aa7ac3.jpg

I'm really, really sorry to hear about your family problems - it sounds awful. I hope your photography can help to take your mind off it a little. These are very good and particularly under the circumstances. For "man-made" I think I prefer the first one to your final choice, but it can be difficult to judge at this small size.

Last edited:
I too am really sorry to hear about the problems, a horrible situation

As for these images...

Light, very well captured, love the rays in the final image.

Manmade, Interesting shapes and textures, but you've chosen my fave for the image.

All beautiful images. I'm sorry to hear your news though. Keep the great images coming and allow yourself that little escape.

Cheers folks, not easy times. I know im somewhat behind but when I can I will get out and catch up. For now thanks for the support and encouragement throughout the project ;)

Again - sorry to hear the dreadful news. Lovely set of pics, especially the second one for light - I love the circular window on the sky.

Phil

Hey folks, again thanks for the support ;)
Right now im up and down - but slowly getting there. I went back down to Brighton for a week to clear my head and get a change of scenery. I think I may be moving down there, so much creative energy and photo ops.
Well, whilst there a biker meet took place with literally 1000's of them turned up - which was great!

So here are just a few of the shots I took = CANDID

5085731627_81bc6d9beb.jpg

5085735433_28e02528fa.jpg

5085739057_e2b2b26344.jpg

5085741751_7cf1f1804e.jpg

5086346996_40252e130c.jpg

As for a winner - I havent picked one this week, so DO let me know what you guys thinks ought to win and why ;)
(just in case you want a better look at the shots click HERE )

OK I decided finally this is the winning shot
Winner - CANDID
5085747743_67b4c12eec.jpg

Last edited:
By having the chance to catch up on my 52 I shot away whilst in Brighton. I managed to get a lot of variety and cover several themes, which I am happy about - the hardest part was deciding which images make the cut (im not saying they are all great at all, but of the shots which stood out more to me).

Week 39 - BIRDS
I had many different types of shots to use in this category - especially as some gulls were fighting over a fish head, but in the end I had to strip out ones that weren't as good as others. Then trying to find more variety of birds, sitting, sleeping, flying and even different types of birds.

below are the runners up:
5089446810_84a418466b.jpg

5088840009_42b7183da8.jpg

5089434952_13fc437a24.jpg

5088831855_9f41ab52da.jpg

Winner: BIRDS
5089424954_fcf38fb67d.jpg

Last edited:
Week 40 - TRANSPORT
I took the opportunity at the bike show to get plenty of shots of the bikes, the angles, the cars and lots of variety. Which was great until editing time, then it was a nightmare, lol. I have lots of shots but some that I really felt I couldn't use in this project. Bikes are no longer noisy, bits of metal, some are real pieces of art.
I think a fish eye lens would have been fantastic at the show - something I may consider for next time.
anyway the runners up are:
5088935461_d044fec6a6.jpg

5088921771_daec0c61bd.jpg

5088908909_efbef6eb85.jpg

5089513598_b2b824d645.jpg

5088939889_f9a41042dd.jpg

Winner - TRANSPORT
5088927773_85c27b60c1.jpg

Glad you've taken the time to get away from things and come up with another round of great images.

As someone who grew up with Fred Perry shirts, white socks and lofas, I'm drawn very much to the second candid image :)

Your winning bird shot is spot on with great curved lines leading through tot the subject and a very broken ruled but very well placed horizon.

Some interesting shapes and detail in your transport winner, but for me I'd have liked to see a closer cropped Basil Brush from a bit to the right :)

Hi Dade, I seem to have missed your thread for several weels. Firstly, I am very sorry to hear that things have not been going well for you. But, looking through your shots, I think getting out there and shooting can really help you.

Light: Gorgeous shots. The colours in the winner are stunning.

Man-made: I agree with the pier shot as winner. Love the treatment.

Candid: Although I also like your winner, I really like the third one. Is it taken through a mirror?

Birds: I love all of them, but I like your winner and the pier shot best. Beautiful colours.

Transport: What a lovely collection of shiny metal. I love the winner. The curved reflection really makes the shot, but the little bit of headlight gives it some context.

:clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Darren: The mods were very close to being a winning shot, they got a spot on my webpage as I like it that much, just thought the Banjo player edged it ;)
As for Basil yeah, I know - I guess you just wanted to get up close, ha ha ha boom boom.

Jenny: Thanks ;)
As for the shots, glad we agreed on shots, not easy and different people see other things - which is good, but it comforts me to think I chose well.
Candid is shot through a mirror you are right ;)

Glad you got away Dade... Brighton is amazingly diverse...

A great set, and I really like your choice for Candid.

Birds, i think I'd chose the second one, but I do like backlit feathers.

Transport, they are all great... but the one chosen is excellent.

Oh goodness, Dade - so many great shots it's difficult to give detailed feedback. Suffice to say the high quality of this thread continues, much to my delight!

Phil

I agree with Phil - so many good ones! The banjo player in Candid is my fave but runner up for me is the first one - I love the expression on the face of the man in the bg and think you could run a caption competition here :D

Your chosen Birds is excellent - unusual composition that works really well.

I go with your choice for Transport too - it's a cracker! Well spotted.

For this weeks challenge I combined two things into one. I went to Leicester to photograph the Oxjam festival, so I chose Music for my theme for week 41.
It was a great event with nearly 80 artists performing at 8 bars in Braunstone Gate, Leicester.

As I was considered staff I got to see many artists and moved between venues to get differing shots of the performers. The challenge was not only have I never photographed a music event before but was also the fact each venue was VERY different in terms of lighting and available space, but I did my best - what else could I do!?

I think I managed to get some cracking shots, if there was more atmosphere in the venue, such as smoke machines and cool lighting I think it would have enhanced the images even more.
Anyway there were lots of photos taken I have chosen a few - more can be seen by clicking = FLICKR and the complete set of images are HERE

enjoy ;)
5117015147_2d04222ec0.jpg

5117633722_4b115ff11b.jpg

5117037977_e84bd5a57f.jpg

5117663472_6c64af3239.jpg

5117659422_706bf32212.jpg

This time the winning shot is of a friend - THE JAMES LEWIS BAND. I wanted to create something for him to use in his promo material and this is why I have chosen this image, instead of something more dramatic.
Winner - MUSIC
5117019537_5029af49cd.jpg

Last edited:
Very good set Dade, looks like you had a lot of fun with these. I think you've done a great job with these, especially for a first time doing this kind of thing.

Another good set Dade. Not sure I'm too keen on the PP on your winner, much preferring number 4 of your friend :)

1 and 5 are my favourites but your winner is excellent on its own terms - I'm sure he is delighted with it.

(y)

Good stuff and I like you chosen winner - it's my favourite too.

Phil

Lately I have been taking quite a few shots of the trees as they continue to change colour and not quite focussed on a theme as such, just snapping away at what caught me eye.
Autumn is such a cool season :)
I have now moved down to Brighton too, in a bid to get some more work and pursue photography more full time

So, I went back to my list and chose ABSTRACT as my theme. Then having looked through my collections and images stored away for a rainy day I chose following below which fit nicely as abstract images.
enjoy ;)

runners up
5135962824_2621ce6717.jpg

5135356323_7bd0c582b6.jpg

5135917936_71aa085990.jpg

5135959084_07e34e0183.jpg

Winner: ABSTRACT
5135365339_f09f73983d.jpg

Last edited:
An interesting set of pictures - I can only identify two of them :LOL:.

No.1 doesn't do anything for me, I'm afraid - it's a bit messy with all the reflections.

No.2 I really like though would prefer a little more DOF so that more was in focus.

No.3 - hey, it's a leaf! Nice colours and textures.

No.4. Errmm ... haven't a clue but this is my favourite as an interpretation of your theme. Clean, simple, good colours and composition.

No.5 - another leaf!! Gorgeous colours and I love the way you have isolated the detail. It would be my choice for hanging on the wall but not quite abstract enough for your chosen theme.

(y)

Hi Dade,

You never cease to amaze with your images. Absolutely fantastic - all of them.
I'm really sorry to hear your news, but I hope that the move to Brighton and immersing yourself in photography is helping you to get through it.

I'm not sure about no.1 from your abstract set. Maybe it's a little bit too abstract for me. I can't make out what it is and the background just isn't quite interesting enough for me.

No.2 : Now that's more like it !!!!
I still don't know what it is, but it's beautiful. The colours and patterns are stunning.

No.3 : My favourite from the set and something that I'd hang on the wall. Colours, details, texture are all spot on :clap:

No.4 : A close second for me. The strong geometry, repeating shapes, shiny chrome and strong colour palette all work very well together. The lighting is good too. I really like the harsh shadows falling across the circles.

No.5 : Strong colours and really good use of DoF to isolate the leaves - but as good as it is, it just doesn't stand out as much as 3 and 4 for me.

There are really far too many to comment on from your other weeks, but I can't let the bird week pass by without saying something.
IMO There are 3 outstanding shots there:

-The second one of the bird with its wings stretched. Love the backlit detail of the feathers.
- No.4 of the pier. It maybe doesn't say "birds" as strongly as the others, but this is something that I'd be happy to print out and have on the wall.
- Your winning shot - Very different again to the other two, but the strong lines and colours work brilliantly.

Cheers folks nice crit from you both - fact is I personally liked image 5 more ;)
Maybe I didnt nail the Abstract theme this time round, maybe next time.

1: Motorcycle handlebar grip - agreed looking at it, it is messy and your eye goes elsewhere other than the tip

2: Lollipop, the big massive type - glad you liked it, will consider depth more next time

3: Leaf - thanks folks glad you liked it :)

4: Parts of a bonnet on an American car hood (Bonnet) - score!!!

5: Tree leafs - I like colours what can i say!? However glad you both liked the image in general, but true its not very abstract.

Thanks for taking the time to comment always invaluable and maybe one day I will... ....well maybe one day ;)

An interesting set this week Dade...

I quite like 1, I think perhaps moving it a little to the left in the shot would work, but not sure on the specular highlights, particular the 2 large blobs on the left... quite distracting.

2 Swirly... I like it, perhaps a little more DOF, but it's good

3 excellent patterns and shapes in that leaf, and love the colour

4 I like that, looks like air intake vents (although whether they work is another ballgame). The shadows in the vents are in just the right place

5 not as abstract as some of the others, but you know, it's excellent colours and I like it.

I like all of your abstract images, although I could argue that the winner isn't actually abstract at all! I think abstract means I shouldn't be able to work out what I'm looking at and for this reason the first and fourth are the winners for me.

Phil

Hi Dade, I am really enjoying your thread.

Music - love every one of them. You have the lighting spot on for each of them :clap::clap::clap:

Abstract - well, of course, I would prefer your winning leaf, but agree that it is less abstract than the others. A very close second is the American car bonnet. The composition, shadows and colours are excellent (y)

Jenny

hehehe ok so my choice wasnt an abstract, I get it, but I REALLY like it ;)

lets see if I can pull back any favour with these 2 weeks offerings. The first is from my PHOTOWALKs around Brighton. Something I have being doing solo but I am considering putting together a proper organised walk on a monthly basis.

runners up
5161109278_569ecb4b64.jpg

5160513241_9ab9d70443.jpg

5161112274_c822d1a1ce.jpg

5161118912_5aef568d9e.jpg

Winner: PHOTOWALK
5160507169_3768561b66.jpg

Second theme is NUMBERS. I had a lot to choose from on this but rather than flooding the theme with basic shots I went for the ones that stood out more.
I hope you like these ;)

runners up
5161124986_dd4a5e862a.jpg

5160527995_6a25d93565.jpg

5160529173_198ea2163b.jpg

5160530899_5a9310caa1.jpg

Winner: NUMBERS
5160525811_405a16d9a9.jpg

Good stuff Dade, love the photo walk ones... I did one of those a few months ago... I might be able to make it down to Brighton... and join you... Excellent choice in those beach huts, but you know, the burnt down pier with the sunset behind works great for me.

Another good set for numbers... You choice is the best of the set for me. Love the PP on it.

Still got some personal stuff going on, so my creative juices arent flowing, they grey wet weather isnt helping none :(

Anyway I didnt need to be creative with this weeks theme as it was GRAFFITI. Which meant someone else did all the hard work and I simply took a shot of the finished product. There is loads of super art work in Brighton. I like Graffiti - the good stuff, where skills are shown off not tagging (just writing your name on a wall). So after an afternoon of walking around I had more than enough images to pick from.

Below is a small sample of them - go to my FLICKR to see the others :)
5171844945_fde28757e8.jpg

5171788157_8bee58d5ec.jpg

5172414690_8549605d4d.jpg

5171837047_94c83dd7cb.jpg

my chosen image for this week is
WEEK 45 - GRAFFITI
5171840403_69e5f7e147.jpg

I hope things get sorted for you Dade on the personal front.
To the images, these are works of modern art, respect to the artists. The one on the gable end of the building, #2 is simply fantastic. As you said, these are someone elses work but thanks for sharing them. The level of detail and colour in them...brilliant. Iain

Back