I've been playing with my website

Sorry mate but it looks like waybackmachine has replaced your website with one it found in the 1990's. It totally lacks the polish, usability and the aesthetics of modern websites built on modern platforms. You have some good pictures on your site but the site do not do your pictures justice.

My advice would be to stop paying for that Photium crap and take a few hours of your free time to learn how to use Wordpress.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Redsnappa, you have some nice images of planes that the website does not do them justice.

Sorry mate but it looks like waybackmachine has replaced your website with one it found in the 1990's. It totally lacks the polish, usability and the aesthetics of modern websites built on modern platforms. You have some good pictures on your site but the site do not do your pictures justice.

My advice would be to stop paying for that Photium crap and take a few hours of your free time to learn how to use Wordpress.
I'm afraid I have to agree with Redsnappa, you have some nice images of planes that the website does not do them justice.
Thank you for your honesty, and the kind comments about my photos. I have my valeting site on wordpress, which someone else set up the basics for me, and find it difficult to use. I might go back to how it was before with a different template.

I made a few small changes last night. I was going for the clean look. What would you recommend to make it look less old school, eg colours, layout, etc?
Thanks again for the feedback

What’s it for?
I want to start trying to selling prints and cards. I have to admit I've been putting off setting that side up because it seems a bit mind boggling and I'm not sure about the legal jargon. So because I had no work last week due to rain I decided to add more images and try and make it look better ready for enabling sales. I had another play with it last night.

Hi Mike, I am a professional digital designer and amateur photographer, I would like to add my two cents about your website. It's clean and have a lot of space, this is good, but it feels unfinished. I will suggest to go with full width photo right after the logo and menu items. Also the logo looks blurred because of the black stroke, make it splash black color and it will look better. Here is an example:
mp-logo.png

I want to start trying to selling prints and cards. I have to admit I've been putting off setting that side up because it seems a bit mind boggling and I'm not sure about the legal jargon. So because I had no work last week due to rain I decided to add more images and try and make it look better ready for enabling sales. I had another play with it last night.
The legal stuff is one thing - the actual point of your site is something else entirely.
How will your site attract punters?
How will they know what you're selling?
A useful clue - no one ever searched for an image of 101-20150209 - and if they want a print of Chesil Beach, they're going to be looking for a site they're for sale with prices.

The internet works on search algorithms, successful websites need to understand this as much as they need to be attractive and easy to use.

Thank you for the advice everybody, I really appreciate it. @Phil V and @gremlin16 I completely agree about the file names, sorting that has been on the 'to do' list. I just need to work out some titles lol. As for prices, they won't show until I apply the sales thingy. I've been working on it but had to leave it for a while due to the day job. That's some good questions there Phil and something I will work out. The whole idea of the site was to display my images and maybe sell the odd one or two. I haven't pushed it much because it still needs work. I have the afternoon off so will crack on today. @cebanasdima I like that. I wanted clean so thanks for the advice.

Guessing you are using the website builder from Photium? For what you are paying, you might be better moving to something like Squarespace which has very modern and responsive templates as well as e-commerce features designed around selling prints and other things.

I am working through the same thing at the moment but I went down the custom hosted Wordpress route and bought a premium theme (Photocrati). It also has the ability to host an e-store for selling prints and integrates with Paypal and Stripe (although I haven't figured this part out yet!). Links in my signature if you want to take a look

Guessing you are using the website builder from Photium? For what you are paying, you might be better moving to something like Squarespace which has very modern and responsive templates as well as e-commerce features designed around selling prints and other things.

I am working through the same thing at the moment but I went down the custom hosted Wordpress route and bought a premium theme (Photocrati). It also has the ability to host an e-store for selling prints and integrates with Paypal and Stripe (although I haven't figured this part out yet!). Links in my signature if you want to take a look
IIRC it's about £45 and is a lot cheaper than Squarespace, especially for a sales ability. I thought if my site gets any sort of successes I'd go to Squarespace eventually, I know a lot of pros who vlog etc get sponsored by then.

I have a Wordpress site for my valeting business. Someone helped to set it up and then I did all the cosmetics etc, but it does frustrate me at times so wanted something a bit more simple for my photos (y)

I think this was what @cebanasdima was looking at producing (but with the alternative logo). It's mainly the css (with a bit of html) constraining your image size.
MParkerPhot.jpg

I'm with you on the no Wordpress thing. Spent months setting up a really nice responsive site to then have my theme go bang when WP updated and the theme didn't. Went for a bland theme, then watched as my gallery plugin went bang for the same reason. Gave up. Went to Wix. I am not a web developer, and hate tinkering with code (I do enough in my day job). I am a photographer and prefer to spend my time out with my camera.

I run a WP site for a charity I'm involved with and I hate it. The updating, the backing up, the frustration when things stop working... Wordpress isn't for everyone.

Back