I've done it again - what have I just bought?

Name
Morris
Edit My Images
Yes
I had taken my Mamiya CS into work and one of my friends said when are you going to get one of those old cameras that were huge and you draped a cloth over your head and I said that's way off. Have I just bought one? If so, does anyone know anything about this particular one? I saw it came with a lens and before I knew it it was mine.

20211116_132643.jpg

1100357072.jpg

1100357076.jpg

1100357077.jpg

1100357078.jpg

1100357079.jpg

I had taken my Mamiya CS into work and one of my friends said when are you going to get one of those old cameras that were huge and you draped a cloth over your head and I said that's way off. Have I just bought one? If so, does anyone know anything about this particular one? I saw it came with a lens and before I knew it it was mine.

View attachment 337128
Yes you have (a field type large format camera, with fairly limited movements) along with a medium format folding camera & a 35mm rangefinder(?) which you can probably identify for yourself.
I'd guess the field camera is a half plate model designed for either glass plates or tin types, but it can probably be used with 5x4 film as well (this might need modified dark slides)
Not much to go on in your photos but I'd expect it to come from around 1900 or a bit earlier.

Measurements of the dark slides should help narrow down what it was designed to use, & carful inspection of the lens might help give a date (a Double Gauss design won't be earlier than 1888, a Cooke triplet no earlier than 1893 & a Tessar no earlier than 1902) The aperture markings make it unlikely it's much earlier than 1890. The familiar f number scale gradually taking over from around this time.

Aha! Now you're moving into restoration work huh? I wish my hands and eyes were as they once were - I'd love to have done this sort of work.

Yes you have (a field type large format camera, with fairly limited movements) along with a medium format folding camera & a 35mm rangefinder(?) which you can probably identify for yourself.
I'd guess the field camera is a half plate model designed for either glass plates or tin types, but it can probably be used with 5x4 film as well (this might need modified dark slides)
Not much to go on in your photos but I'd expect it to come from around 1900 or a bit earlier.

Measurements of the dark slides should help narrow down what it was designed to use, & carful inspection of the lens might help give a date (a Double Gauss design won't be earlier than 1888, a Cooke triplet no earlier than 1893 & a Tessar no earlier than 1902) The aperture markings make it unlikely it's much earlier than 1890. The familiar f number scale gradually taking over from around this time.

Fabulous information Mike. I'll end up paying £60 for the lot so it's not a huge investment if it all turns out to be junk. I'm certain my wife would have a different take on that of course :p

I was hoping it would maybe suit a 5x4 given they seem to be somewhat available. I've never even looked into glass plates so I think I should learn about that. Tin I wasn't aware of at all.

This is a fascinating hobby with such a deep history.

The Petri is hopefully operational so I'll sell that on to recoup a little of the expenditure. I think the Kodak might just be a clean-up and then display item.

Once I get the cameras I'll take a few more images.

I'm glad someone finds it funny ;) :banana::banana::banana:

It does look nice despite the bellows having a little wear

A LITTLE wear? That looks like a LITTLE as in a "LITTLE bit pregnant"! :D

Have fun with it all.

Some decent info already offered.

For me, the LF outfit looks in reasonable condition for its age.
Closer inspection may well show many small faults due to wear but going on my own experiences with refurbing old kit to a point where they could be used ( albiet just occasionally), I reckon you have a good chance with this kit.

Personally I wouldn’t modify the format . If half plate ,much as the film is not readily available, it can be sourced.

Assuming you have some basic diy skills ( mine are very basic), I would suggest initially a thorough clean possibly involving a dismantle of the camera.

The key word here is patience!
If screws are tight or pieces won’t come apart/ reassemble without force then take a deep breath and reassess the problem even if it means walking away and returning several hours

This actually relates to LF in general even with new kit. If something needs forcing, then something is clearly adrift.

This links you to the last restoration that I did of a 13x18 ( close ish to half plate) outfit kindly given to me by a friend

It works and I’ve had a couple of photos from it but due to its age related fragility, it only gets used very occasionally.

Tag me or pm me if you come up against a particular problem …. I may be able to advise .

Just in case you haven't spotted, it doesn't look like it has a shutter, so you'll have to be nifty with the lens cap.
Many don’t/ didn’t have shutters but longish exposures using a lens cap or hat can be achieved reasonably easy even with 100 iso film.
I manage here where I live, the uk is generally more grey and dank with less bright sunshine to contend with……not that I’m complaining about having the sun!

Some decent info already offered.

For me, the LF outfit looks in reasonable condition for its age.
Closer inspection may well show many small faults due to wear but going on my own experiences with refurbing old kit to a point where they could be used ( albiet just occasionally), I reckon you have a good chance with this kit.

Personally I wouldn’t modify the format . If half plate ,much as the film is not readily available, it can be sourced.

Assuming you have some basic diy skills ( mine are very basic), I would suggest initially a thorough clean possibly involving a dismantle of the camera.

The key word here is patience!
If screws are tight or pieces won’t come apart/ reassemble without force then take a deep breath and reassess the problem even if it means walking away and returning several hours

This actually relates to LF in general even with new kit. If something needs forcing, then something is clearly adrift.

This links you to the last restoration that I did of a 13x18 ( close ish to half plate) outfit kindly given to me by a friend

It works and I’ve had a couple of photos from it but due to its age related fragility, it only gets used very occasionally.

Tag me or pm me if you come up against a particular problem …. I may be able to advise .

Fabulous information and thank you for the link to the restoration.

Once we settle in to our new home and the camera is in hand I'll take some close up images and see what further advice the forum has to offer.

I can do patience and some basic DIY.

And if I have learned anything from my refurbing lenses and a few 35mm cameras it is to video the process to have a point of reference for the inevitable 'where does this belong?' moment.

Last edited:
So I posted over in the 5x4 forum (5x4.co.uk) which has been a great find; thanks to Ian Grant.

I did want to update here as I promised to do so here are a few more images of the camera. I also found a glass plate negative in one of the holders which I will post in Show us your film shots. Bit of a cheat I know :)

I have some material being sent to me from Ian to help in the repair of the bellows. I'll also clean everything else up.

Attachments

• 20211229_213001.jpg
    20211229_213001.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211225_101301.jpg
    20211225_101301.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211223_213001.jpg
    20211223_213001.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211226_153001.jpg
    20211226_153001.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211223_212253.jpg
    20211223_212253.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 6
What's the rangefinder?

I like it. There's definitely an art to using one of those cameras, and they do seem to be becoming more popular. I'd check out Tod Korol on YT. He does a lot of that sort of thing, and some of his images are stunning.

It is going to be a learning experience but I made a promise to myself that 2022 would be about 'learning through doing'..

That includes 35mm digital; 35mm film, 6x6 film and 5x7. I would love to coat my own plates as buying them is very expensive.

I am also hoping to start developing B&W next year.

Apparently I might need to fit some paid employment in there somewhere :p

Back