I've got a complaint!

Name
Edward Bray
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a Lencarta 70cm beauty dish, and well all I can say is it doesn't work.

I mean, it fits on my little Portable Lencarta Safari 600 heads okay, and it does seem to modify the light, but I think I should be complaining under the trades description act as I have just taken a self portrait and it has not made me any better looking than i was.

In fact, I still look like a miserable old git, perhaps for the money I spent I was expecting too much, but I think this should be explained in the title of the item, i mean perhaps they should call it a 'beauty dish for lighting already beautiful people, it doesn't work on crabby old gits' a bit like the oatabix advert.

Actually i'm only joking about the beauty dish, works great just not on crabby old gits!

eddie1.jpg

I couldnt of said it better myself :popcorn:

lol funny write up, you have a very intence stare in the pic and i am a little scared off you now :exit:

nice lighting though :)

It's very well lit though

I'm going to print that out in A3 when I get this printer working and use it to scare the kids when they won't go to bed :D

Good fun to use, but I was stuck for a model, as my wife CBA to pose anymore, I mean she has been my usual test subject for getting on for 30 years, but obviously enough is enough! So in order to try it out i had to do what a man has to do.

Three heads were used, the beauty dish as a main light on one of the Safari portable heads, a shoot through brolly on another Safari head directly below the camera position (I cloned out the catchlights) to act as a fill and one of my Elinchrom BX400s with a honeycomb to act as a hairlight. It took ages to get everything set up correctly and find the right focus point (through trial and error), but I was pleased with the quality of the lighting it was just a pity that the subject was poor.

As for the stare, that was waiting for the bleddy self timer to fire! rabbit in the headlights or what?

:LOL: Funny write up Ed.. You sure you don't mean Rabbit in the beauty dish :D

lol class

Sir, I salute you. It takes a man to post in a self portrait. I bet 90% of the blokes here wouldn`t do it, knowing they have a face like a cows ass.

Sir, I salute you. It takes a man to post in a self portrait. I bet 90% of the blokes here wouldn`t do it, knowing they have a face like a cows ass.

Thanks for that :p bit of a double edged compliment though not sure i'm keen on my fisog being compared to a 'cows arse' :cautious:

Try taking a photograph in the dark, without a flash at a very quick shutter speed and low iso. That'll improve things:D:D

:LOL: (y)

Hi Ed,

Thanks for posting this. hope you don't mind, I've just printed it off.
It's Sunday morning and I'm just about to go shooting with my 12 bore, taking your pic with me:LOL:

the lighting is great
the pose is awesome

one small detail though - the catchlight in your right-eye is a perfect reflection of the (alleged) beauty-dish; the one in your left eye, the catch-light is there but a different shape (masked by your nose I guess)

even so - I like the picture.
Are you related to the Krays at all, slightly, a bit, (sir)?

WOW ,They were all right when they said you were ugly.:D:LOL:
only j/k:wacky::woot:

On a second look it reminds me of tommy cooper.:LOL:

That beauty dish is worth its weight in gold....

.......in real life he's much much uglier than that!!

:LOL::D:woot::wave::clap:

You're not a horror novelist are you? That pic so reminds me of James Herbert :D

I've just cancelled my order after seeing that:D

I do so like liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti ;)

That silenced the lambs.:D:LOL::clap:

The kit must include free XL cojones, because you'd need a set to post a picture like that.:D

Seriously though, it's very nicely lit.

Well something good has come out of this thread, I have persuaded my wife that it is better for me to practise my lighting techniques on her again so I as do not have to suffer any further abuse.

So, took a couple of her this afternoon and updated my Lencarta review thread

Thanks for all your comments :shrug: I don't think :p

He used it on the flash head!
should have read the instructions...

When I read the title, I said "OH sh**** Gary's in trouble!"
LOL

Edit:
Looking at you portrait again, I think Lencarta is not powerful enough... look at your iris- I meant pupils, they are still wide open, they look like f1.8! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Edit:
Looking at you portrait again, I think Lencarta is not powerful enough... look at your iris, they are still wide open, they look like f1.8! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I know you are only having a giggle, but to be honest the opposite is probably true, they are probably a little too powerful. As for my pupils being open, that is because the modelling lights only stay on for 25 seconds (to preserve the battery power) and only then if you initialise them after each exposure (I don't bother).

The exif data should show that my picture was shot at ISO 50 and at f8 and the picture of my wife this afternoon (on the other thread) with the beauty dish covered with the diffuser was at f5.6 @ ISO 50. (so we can lose a stop with the diffuser) these were both taken with the power setting of the Safari Unit at its lowest power setting of 1/16th power.

I have to say, for such a small portable outfit the amount of power it packs is amazing, this coupled with great light quality (If I had stated I had shot these pictures using my Elinchroms I don't think anyone would have doubted it) and for the price they really do take some beating, (y) have a look at the price of Elinchrom and Bowens portable battery outfits.

The lighting on the lencarta & your wife looks really good,very impressed with that setup.:)(y)

Back