Ive just bought....

Name
Rik
Edit My Images
Yes
a nikon 55-200mm lens (lens??) with the VR jobbie on it and very nice it is too and i hate to be dense but it came with a hood what exactly is that for?

It's to stop aliens from effecting the quality of your pictures with thier telepathy :LOL:

It is used to prevent lens flare by resctricting light outside of the lenses FOV to hit the glass.

ahh i was wondering what the heck its for would people recommend their use or is it just another thing to carry??

cheers

rik

My lenses are used with lens hoods all the time - protects the lens too without sticking a cheap filter on it!

also a good point!! cheers i shall remeber to keep the hood in my bag of goodies !

Most fit "backwards" on the lens for easy storage. I keep mine on the lenses like that generally as it forces you to use it, as you need to take it off to use the zoom/focus. If I have to take it off, then I fit it on the lens the right way round so I don't loose it :LOL:

Hoods serve 2 purposes:
1 Stop stray light from entering the lens, thereby reducing unwanted light and lens flare
2 Protection

On big lenses without scalloped hoods they make useful stands when it gets too heavy to hold too :LOL:

Only problem with putting the hood on backwards is most of them have a significantly larger diameter than the lens itself, thus it takes up more space in the bag with the hood attached.

Hoods serve 2 purposes:
1 Stop stray light from entering the lens, thereby reducing unwanted light and lens flare
2 Protection

3 - I think you'll find... makes your lens look bigger and hence more cool!:D

Back