I've seen a Kingfisher, advice please.

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
hi
walking today happily taking photos of Robins, Greenfinches etc and suddenly there sits a Kingfisher. Its only a small dyke, easily jumpable so I never expected it. Its my best bird sighting yet.

I'm going back next week to have another look, and I plan on setting up a small hide and staking out the branch where I saw it sat. Are they territorial and would you do the same. I've included a photo to give an idea of the area.
thanks

8175813892_51c73ffdd8_z.jpg

My advice would be to post it in the bird section of the forum,you may get a better response.(y)

my experience of watching a kingfisher in a local park is that they do return the same branches especially if it is a good place to fish

At this time of year kingfishers are spreading out both adults an juveniles. Many of their usual fishing haunts are unfishable in heavy rain as rivers swell and fish hide. I know as I have a perch outside my kitchen window and I haven't seen a kingfisher stop in a while.

Best thing is to watch and see if the perch is used regularly. It could have just been a wanderer searching for a meal.

I hope for you that it is a permanent perch though. Stay as quiet as possible and there's a good chance of some lovely views. A hide would be a good idea.

Back