Jack Russell with swollen ear

babytiger

Eye of the tiger
Name
eileen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi ,does anyone know what Mollie has? She had a swollen ear,all squishy at the end and floppy.

has she caught her ear on anything?

my border collie had this and it went down after a few days, turns out my other dog caught it when they were playing.

Sounds like Haematoma (blood clot), she may have banged it. Needs to see a vet if it is, to be lanced and drained :shrug:

(As an ex vet nurse saw loads of these)

Go to the vet. My own JR had similar when she was young, it turned out to be a cyst and needed a small operation.

Thanks
I may just give them a call and see what they say.She has never been to the vet before and she is now 16 so not bad going.She doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Sounds like Haematoma (blood clot), she may have banged it. Needs to see a vet if it is, to be lanced and drained :shrug:

(As an ex vet nurse saw loads of these)

Ditto.
Our dog had the same. If that is the case it will need draining as Nicki said. Not pleasant, but not excessively traumatic for the dog either. On the other hand my OH almost fainted when we took Luke to have his drained . . . phobia of needles and blood :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks
I may just give them a call and see what they say.She has never been to the vet before and she is now 16 so not bad going.She doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Nice to see you've been taking the dog for it's yearly check, vaccines, worming, fleas, etc.......

Let's hope it's nothing serious.

She is a wee hardy JR ,never had an illness in her life. worming, I do myself, Fleas....she gets dettol baths which have always worked on the 2 JR's I have had.I also beleive in herbal remedies.
My sister on the other hand has always had dogs of different breeds,had checks, vaccines etc at the vets and they seem to catch everything a dog could possibly get.

Shes has been to vet today and the verdict is an ear infection, £63 lighter and she has some eardrops for this swolen ear that now resembles a Furbys ear

DSCF9033.jpg

DSCF9030.jpg

Andy Mollie is probably the most pampered pooch ever, she isnt a pedigree but a rescue dog, she has always been treated very good and never needed a vet till now but if she would have needed one she would have gone to one, dont fix it if it isnt broke sort of springs to mind, she is and always has been a very healthy dog by being treated the way she has been..........16 yrs of having a loving dog like Mollie says it all

Dangermouse1964 said:
Shes has been to vet today and the verdict is an ear infection, £63 lighter and she has some eardrops for this swolen ear that now resembles a Furbys ear

Andy Mollie is probably the most pampered pooch ever, she isnt a pedigree but a rescue dog, she has always been treated very good and never needed a vet till now but if she would have needed one she would have gone to one, dont fix it if it isnt broke sort of springs to mind, she is and always has been a very healthy dog by being treated the way she has been..........16 yrs of having a loving dog like Mollie says it all

I guess I'm just speaking from experience. My partner is a vet nurse, and we both run an animal charity. Far too many people bring their animals in saying it's been off it's food for a couple of days, but is fine otherwise.

A quick checkover and it's normally found to have a heart murmur, renal failure, amongst other problems.

Glad all is ok though.

She's beautiful :)

Beautiful old lady, we have 2 jacks both rescues 4 and 5, i hope they last and look as good at 16

I guess I'm just speaking from experience. My partner is a vet nurse, and we both run an animal charity. Far too many people bring their animals in saying it's been off it's food for a couple of days, but is fine otherwise.

A quick checkover and it's normally found to have a heart murmur, renal failure, amongst other problems.

Glad all is ok though.

She is 16 and never been to a vet untill today I think that says more......we haven't spent hundreds or thousands on drugs or stuff that simply isnt needed over the years for a healthy pet.....some fools pay it, we dont and end up with a fantastic part of our family....that lives longer than expected, people who take their pets to the vets week after week for vets to administer drugs and so on ,,,,,,,,,,well you may as well put it down on the first visit, a real pet only needs love,nothing else

By the way the vetinary surgeon that lanced her ear said she had never seen such a healthy,well looked after dog at her age.........those were her words

Back