Jacket recommendations?

Name
Ewan
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for Spring/Summer options for a jacket to wear out looking for birds to photograph(I seem to have awakened a long forgotten passion for birding lately without really realising) - something green probably, no rustle I'd think - basically a less warm version of the Buffalo Mountain Shirt/Montane Extreme Smock type number - Buffalo product line just bewildered me if I'm honest, far too much choice...Paramo Pajaro etc look good but unsure how toasty they'd be now we are, in theory about to start getting warmer weather...any pointers?

What about the Paramo smocks ? There's the lightweight Fuera windproof but minimal water resistance one which you could layer under if it turns chilly

Paramo Halcon Traveller for me, I really like the jacket, sometimes with thicker shirt if chilly or thinner T if warm. Great amount of pockets
as well for storage.
I wear it this time of year in various ways, it's ok for me
Not cheap but really well designed, and great quality.
Would I buy another, yep.
Looks a bit like a GI M65 jacket swell so quite street cred

Have a look at the range from Country Innovation: https://www.countryinnovation.com/clothing I have their Falcon jacket https://www.countryinnovation.com/clothing/jackets/falcon-jacket and have been very pleased with its low/no rustle qualities, handy detachable hood for April showers too. (don't get it near barbed wire though as I've found the soft rustle-free material tends to snag and rip more easily than stiffer material - but it's horses for courses). If it's a cold day then I wear a fleece under it and find it pretty much turns it into a 3 season jacket.

I believe their new Linnet jacket is good too, so perhaps have a look at that and see if it would suit you? CI usually have a stall at the Bird Fair at Rutland if you can wait that long, they sometimes have show special deals there on selected jackets too, plus you can try before you buy. Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
If the paramo Pajaro is anything like my paramo helki it’s most likely far too warm for warm summer weather (even in winter I find the cost and a grid base layers is warm enough if you are a little active walking about). I have one of their windproofs, it’s good if the weather is dry. It’s supposed to be waterproof if used with one of the fleeces. I usually wear both together but I’ve not tried the combination in showers. I did get caught out in town once in just the wind proof and I found it’s definitely not waterproof on its own!

I have the Paramo Fuera smock and use it for birding and general walking. It's only windproof not waterproof, but that means it doesn't make any noise. On it's own with a shirt underneath it's OK in the summer, maybe a little on the warm side, but It doesnt have any inner layer so its not terrible. It's also available in army/olive green.

Last edited:
Paramo Halcon Traveller for me, I really like the jacket, sometimes with thicker shirt if chilly or thinner T if warm. Great amount of pockets
as well for storage.
I wear it this time of year in various ways, it's ok for me
Not cheap but really well designed, and great quality.
Would I buy another, yep.
Looks a bit like a GI M65 jacket swell so quite street cred

That's what sprang to my mind, I've not got one but neeeearly bought one a couple of times.

Last edited:
Forgot to say, the Country Innovation jackets have been designed with birdwatchers in mind, so the sleeves are a decent length and I find there's plenty of room where the arms join the shoulders, so the jacket doesn't tend to ride up my body when I lift my arms up and bend them to put binoculars (or a camera) to my eyes.

I think this is an 'action' people should do when trying on a country jacket; there's not much point in it being a good fit and looking the part but then riding six inches up your back and/or becoming tight across the shoulders when you put binoculars or a camera to your eyes. Hope this is useful. (y)

Last edited:
I like softshell jackets, I've currently got the North face Apex jacket. It's lightweight, water resistant and windproof - if it's cold I just add a fleece underneath.
I wear it all year round, adding/removing layers underneath to suit the weather

Something low cost over layers so you can roll around in the mud without worry...

Camouflage jacket from army surplus.

:agree:

Try the old British Army CS95, loads of pockets and was made in the UK. Normally around £25 for a good woodland DPM item from the surplus stores.

GC

:agree:

Try the old British Army CS95, loads of pockets and was made in the UK. Normally around £25 for a good woodland DPM item from the surplus stores.

GC
That's what I use. I've also got the breathable goretex on, although no pockets on that.
I use a DPM shirt in the summer which almost doubles as a very lightweight jacket.
Sorted for less than £80 all in :)

I believe their new Linnet jacket is good too,

I have this jacket and it is very good.

Plenty of pockets, large enough to fit a pair of bins in and also very comfortable.

I wear a Rab Vapourise jacket during the spring summer months. It’s really nice and keeps the temperature good underneath. May not be the style you’re after though..

Back