Jacking in digital for medium format film

but it suggests that selling a digital camera is barely worthwhile unless you sell while it's still fairly current, or if you really don't have any use for it: otherwise I'd just keep it for the occasions it might do the job better.
That's why I only buy second hand.

I'm sure the drop in value was similar with film bodies once new features started popping up.

I'm selling all my Sony/Minolta gear. With the exception of the P&S I use for work I will be a purely Bronica man.

Turn off auto review and the rear screen. Use only the optical viewfinder and see how you get on. For the added film scanned experience add in bits of crap and hair to the image :D

Slow down. Take out an ND filter and a tripod. Maybe take a manual light meter too.

I've noticed digital makes me rush and just whizz off half a dozen sometimes when in film days I'd stop and think then probably only take two at most. Or try and resist looking at your efforts as soon as you get home. Leave them a week for further film-esque experience ;)
You are so right slow down and think before you push that button.

Thought if you want to shoot film go for it.

All the best

That's why I only buy second hand.

I'm sure the drop in value was similar with film bodies once new features started popping up.

2nd hand makes sense for sure.

Not sure on your second point though:

1. the results didn't change much as you upgraded, though of course people would think they'd improve by having autofocus, program mode etc etc. With digital the technology is still improving a lot and people would now look on a D100 (for instance) as far inferior to its modern equivalents - that wouldn't have been the case between, for instance, moving from a Nikon FM to an FM2 or FM3a.

2. the models weren't upgraded as fast as they are now - many cameras were made for 10 years+ before being discontinued - this helps preserve second hand values.

3. the cameras lasted longer - unless you buy a pro model modern digicams aren't well made and seem to self destruct after a few years.

Back