Jacobs Filters - Premium Quality?

Had anyone had a chance to test these further? I'm specifically interested in the black packaged CPL filter.

Hi,

In case you're still interested, I spent 20 minutes today comparing my Hoya HD 67mm CPL (cost me £56) and a recently purchased Jacobs Super Slim (black packaging) 77mm CPL (cost me £18), which I purchased in anticipation of getting a SWA lens at some point in the future.

As I didn't have a 77mm lens to test with I had to hold it in front of my Canon 40D + 17-85mm (with UV filter still on), and did the same with the 66m to keep things constant. Not ideal, but it was just a quick test to compare the effect of each CPL. I have uploaded my images here.

They both seemed to do a fairly similar job, though based on my unscientific test I think the Hoya edged it by cutting out a fraction more reflections and providing slightly richer green & blues.

A note about build quality, with the Jacobs you can see what looks to be glue bubbles where the glass meets the ring. I have photographed this here. Though despite this it feels sturdy enough.

Personally I am happy enough with it For £18, as I didn't want to pay £70/£80 but also didn't want to risk a cheap ebay / non-slim CPL. I just saw someone selling them on DPR and thought I'd take a punt.

Cheers.

See here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=464011

It's the worst example of image degradation from a filter seen on here in a long time - a cheap Jacobs polariser used on a long lens.

Probably an unlucky copy. One of the main areas manufacturers save costs is by relaxing quality control. This one is dreadful.

I have found the Jacobs "black" to be better than my Hoya filters and use several different sizes,
close inspection reveals the build quality to be superb.
Does anyone out there know where I can get a "black" 95mm MC UV filter

Back