Jaguar XJ

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Jaguar XJ Executive 1997 Straight 6
A pic in 'Transport' that's not an aircraft ;)
This is my older brother's pride and joy. He has a thing for older Jaguars, spends way more than he'll ever get back, in the pursuit of purity! Even insists on valve dust caps from Jaguar.
The location was Hendon Beach, Sunderland, England. Not the pleasantest of days (January!) but he was impatient and we're both time-poor so it had to be then. I've tidied the tarmac but not touched the car :)
(Except the personal number plate)

Jaguar XJ Executive by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice car, My first thought was the open space is on the wrong side if you had some open space on the left rather than the right it may give the illusion of space to move into. This may not be possible as I don't know whether you have any extra "left hand side" in the original image.

Other than that I like it, love the lighting down the side and on the bonnet and the rain droplets add a nice touch, location looks nice to.

Nice car, I concur with the comments above. A lower angle shot might have worked too.
I used to have an old Jag, 4.2L, twin petrol tanks, leather interior. Used to love wafting along in it. Couldn't afford the petrol now!

I bought the Jag dust caps for mine too, but they didn't last long before some little tyke nicked 'em.

Last edited:
Jaguar XJ Executive 1997 Straight 6
A pic in 'Transport' that's not an aircraft ;)
This is my older brother's pride and joy. He has a thing for older Jaguars, spends way more than he'll ever get back, in the pursuit of purity! Even insists on valve dust caps from Jaguar.
The location was Hendon Beach, Sunderland, England. Not the pleasantest of days (January!) but he was impatient and we're both time-poor so it had to be then. I've tidied the tarmac but not touched the car :)
(Except the personal number plate)

Jaguar XJ Executive by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

I'm surprised he gets away with the leaping cat on the front, fixed mascots like that have been illegal for years.....

arn't fixed mascots like pop up headlights, illegal on new models but not if made before the change in the law?

Not a big fan of the headlights being on and would have preferred to see the breaking wave further away from the car, sort of above the (illegal) mascot. Oh, and your horizon's neither straight nor level.

But in it's favour, composition's pretty good IMO for the circumstances you describe and I disagree with the lower angle comments - would have lost the curves and contours of the bonnet, the wooden steering wheel and all of the sumptuous leather interior- bar the head restraints - it's details like that which make the Jag.

Nice car but I don't think the leaper looks right and spoils the look. I agree with the lower angle to lose the waves and more space to the left, apart from that it is nice and sharp well exposed shot of a nice car. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine it would depend on the mascot, I know the original snipe with a long pointed beak that used to adorn the Humber Super Snipe was changed, but if such things were not permitted there would be a lot of Rolls Royces, not to mention Mercedes looking a bit naked.

Thanks all!
Had another look and agree with a lot of the comments. I personally still like the angle, I did a couple lower originally but as Andrew said, it lost some of the contours.
I didn't leave anything spare to the left, unfortunately but I've had a go at a tighter crop, both from the right and top/bottom.
I think I'm at the limit of rescue! All good to know for next time :)
Can't comment on the mascot, though I have to say his Daimler didn't seem to suffer for the lack of one ;)
JagBeach4.jpg

That damn horizon's giving me problems :(

Last edited:
I would imagine it would depend on the mascot, I know the original snipe with a long pointed beak that used to adorn the Humber Super Snipe was changed, but if such things were not permitted there would be a lot of Rolls Royces, not to mention Mercedes looking a bit naked.

The Mercedes ones, when fitted, were spring-loaded, the current Rolls Royce one are designed to retract down into the radiator shell in an impact.

When i left the army and became a chauffeur, my boss bought me a XJ 3.2 Sovereign in champagne gold, gorgeous cars, i envy your brother

When i left the army and became a chauffeur, my boss bought me a XJ 3.2 Sovereign in champagne gold, gorgeous cars, i envy your brother
He's offered to let me drive it (he used to borrow my Corsa a lot, more economical lol) but I've never driven an automatic!
Plus I'm a crap driver anyway :)
I do, however, love being driven in it.

Back