James (baby portraits)

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Had the pleasure of photographing little James on Saturday, such a little character.

zf04.jpg

zf07.jpg

zf16.jpg

Ok, not a fan of the pose in 3, occasional pics with props like a stick is fine, but it covers his eye, looks awkward and lots of dribble - in some pics dribble can look cute but not here. The second (and this applies to all) has some weird highlights on the b/ground, light areas then black which is offputting. Also, footprints clearly visable on the 2nd one - I never allow people near my drops with shoes on, and this needs to be edited out. The best pic of the lot, but like 1, the eyes seem a bit soft. Without the stick, 1 would be quite nice but same problems with b/ground and eyes.

Simon has made some really good points, though I do quite like no 3. Definatley need to work on your backgrounds and nailing the focus.
I'd have another go at tweaking no1, it's so almost there! (y)

Your subject is too close to the background. If you are using a softbox, turn the light across the subject so you are minimising the light falling on the background.

With your subject so close to the background there's a lot of light hitting that too hence the background isn't black.

Also the light looks too high - When shooting kids, bring the light down. I've done that too.... :)

No1 is ok but I'm not keen on the others for the reasons noted above.Your background looks very shiny? Better with a velvet or deep black material - but even in tight spaces you can minimise the light on the background by getting the subject closer to the light, further from the background (as far as you can) and feathering it.

Agree with all the above comments. kids are tough, mind.

Using a paper roll background. I don't always want it looking black, and the footprints are there as there are just quick edits (colours tweaked a little bit). Should have included more detail in my original post.
I'm not sure on the conversion in the third one, was playing with something a bit different. Happy with the poses themselves though, as are the parents.

I agree that a background doesn't have to be completely black, but it's the white stripe of light that is a bit distracting.
Please don't take CC's too personally, comments are only given to be helpful. ;)

This is probably a bit over done but gives an idea of what I'd try with curves. I did it before I read your background preferences, but thought I might as well post it. Hope you don't mind.
zf04-1.jpg

Last edited:
Using a paper roll background. I don't always want it looking black, and the footprints are there as there are just quick edits (colours tweaked a little bit). Should have included more detail in my original post.
I'm not sure on the conversion in the third one, was playing with something a bit different. Happy with the poses themselves though, as are the parents.

If you don't want black to be black, why use a black background? You'd have been better with a grey background that can be made black/white very easily.

It's not that the background isn't totally black but the shiny banding and positioning of the light that has made the images not look as good as they could have. Parents unfortunately just love any images of their kids - that's just they way most are. We as photographers should understand what makes images good and why they are.

Young kids sure are hard to pose though!

Elli's image has too much contrast imo - all your image needs is a little lift using the levels

Last edited:
I agree with all the comments above, i also think they are far too soft i'm afraid and i'm not sure on the poses, mouth covered in #1. strange angle in #2 and face covered in #3. I think the skin tone is a little blue aswell, this could be warmed up - but i do like the black BG.

The above just seems to be a roll of excuses ! You post here for critique / comments but dont give us this info on your first post, not much point asking for comments if you arent going to post edits.

IMO Just pleasing parents isnt enough though - have you presented these edits to them already then ?

Last edited:
Back