James Prescott Joule

robhooley167

Sir, my fingers are stuck together
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Gang

After some C&C on an image i shot back in December in the Manchester Town Hall.

This rather miserable looking chap is James Prescott Joule, a 19th Century physicist who developed early theories on Thermodynamics.

This was shot at ISO3200 and converted in Silver Efex with some more grain added.

James Prescott Joule by Rob Hooley, on Flickr

I'm after any constructive C&C, thanks in advance (y)

Last edited:
An interesting sculpture. Never really sure what to say when people photograph someone else's piece of art. Its merely cataloging I suppose, in which case a tripod and lower iso would give a better technical shot.

I think this is really good. You have caught the full range of tones, no blown highlights. I think the blocked background is fine in a shot like this.

Thanks for the comment. I blocked out the background to clean up the image as it was fairly messy, however I'm unsure about whether to clone out the scratch on near his feet.

An interesting sculpture. Never really sure what to say when people photograph someone else's piece of art. Its merely cataloging I suppose

In a way yes it is cataloging, but does that mean it can't be done artistically? Do you view Architecture in the same way?

In which case a tripod and lower iso would give a better technical shot.

Yes it would be better technically, however you have to make do with what you've got at the time. Artistically i personally think the grainy black and white works quite well.

Think I'd have preferred to view it with its natural background if only to give it some added context :thinking:
....as is,this could easily fit into 'people and portraits'
As always,merely a personal opinion

Is he listening to his ipod ? :D

I think other elements can be added to architecture, skys, weather, light, people etc

IMO there is little room for artistic license when it comes to other peoples artwork, I have seen people take shots of a framed painting before and ask for c&c and i would view this in the similar light.

On my monitor (only a laptop) there seems to be a lot of lighter shadow area around the head and shoulders when I angle it, was the black added in photoshop?

Think I'd have preferred to view it with its natural background if only to give it some added context :thinking:
....as is,this could easily fit into 'people and portraits'
As always,merely a personal opinion

Is he listening to his ipod ? :D

The background didn't add any context, it has half of a bloke carrying a bin bag and the backs of some peoples heads which are understandably a bit OOF at f2.8.

I considered putting it in people and portraits but thought this might be a better idea as it's a "man made structure".

I think he's reading some threads from TP on his phone and has lost the will to live. :D

I think other elements can be added to architecture, skys, weather, light, people etc

So the processing on this photo doesn't count?

IMO there is little room for artistic license when it comes to other peoples artwork, I have seen people take shots of a framed painting before and ask for c&c and i would view this in the similar light.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one

On my monitor (only a laptop) there seems to be a lot of lighter shadow area around the head and shoulders when I angle it, was the black added in photoshop?

Yes the black was added in photoshop, I don't PP my images to account for tilted laptop screens so you'll have to forgive the very small amount of grey that i didn't manage to get.

It's nicely processed yes, but I was commenting as an image rather than on the processing which now that I'm viewing on my phone looks a lot better, said halos have gone :)

I really really like this. I would have had no idea who it was to be honest if you hadn't explained, however I'd still have been happy to have a print of this for hanging.

I think its all been said above personally I like this very much you have as you say captured his moodiness. As an afterthought would Brazo consider stained glass windows as cataloguing?? and there are many 'legitimate' reasons to photograph paintings. for inclusion in academic work for example or maybe cheaper than the gift shop poster :)

I really really like this. I would have had no idea who it was to be honest if you hadn't explained, however I'd still have been happy to have a print of this for hanging.

I think its all been said above personally I like this very much you have as you say captured his moodiness. As an afterthought would Brazo consider stained glass windows as cataloguing?? and there are many 'legitimate' reasons to photograph paintings. for inclusion in academic work for example or maybe cheaper than the gift shop poster :)

Thanks a lot for the comments (y)

Back