Jayden - My 1st Baby shoot!

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
A friend asked me if I'd take some pictures of her 2 month old son, Jayden. Wanting to get as much experience as I can, I was more than happy to!!

He didn't play ball for long and decided he was hungry :LOL:

Anyway, heres some pics:

DSC_0006 B&W by rob_mank, on Flickr

DSC_0084_edited-1 by rob_mank, on Flickr

DSC_0074_edited-1 by rob_mank, on Flickr

DSC_0033_edited-1 by rob_mank, on Flickr

DSC_0001_edited-2 by rob_mank, on Flickr

6. And one with his mum once he'd had enough:

DSC_0101_edited-1 by rob_mank, on Flickr

C&C more than welcome. Any pointers on where to improve is more than appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Hi Mank, got some great shots there, but they all look to be a little washed out. Maybe do some PP on the B&W shots.
I'm by no means an expert, so please take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Lovely composition on all if them.:)

here' my tuppence worth. I think 1 -3 look great, the kind of shots you would happily pay for.

I think no 4 doesnt look anything special just a snap anybody could take.

5 looks great too,

& 6 I am sure she will love, but IMHO the baby looks a bit uncomfortable & I dont think its too flattering on her chin & women can be very funny about those kind of things LOL

I think 2 is my fave.

Hi Mank, got some great shots there, but they all look to be a little washed out. Maybe do some PP on the B&W shots.
I'm by no means an expert, so please take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Lovely composition on all if them.:)

Thank you Martin. I was going for a bright pale B&W conversion so some are blown out in places, but its what I was aiming for :LOL: Not sure if its to everyones taste though :shrug:

here' my tuppence worth. I think 1 -3 look great, the kind of shots you would happily pay for.

I think no 4 doesnt look anything special just a snap anybody could take.

5 looks great too,

& 6 I am sure she will love, but IMHO the baby looks a bit uncomfortable & I dont think its too flattering on her chin & women can be very funny about those kind of things LOL

I think 2 is my fave.

Thank you. I know what you mean with No.4, I did struggle a bit with composition as I only had a sheet to cover the background. Next time I think I need more space and a better background to get something different as I didn't want to end up with a load of close up face shots.

Yea, on 6 he'd had enough so starting to cry (more of him crying on flickr too) and she was laughing, so thought it was a good shot to get the 2 differences. She loves it anyway as you said :D

I hope she thinks its unflattering on her chin too, she's given me enough stick over the years!!! :D :LOL:

Hi Mank, it all comes down to taste, it was a minor niggle on some great pics. I bet the parents were over the moon.

Hi Mank, it all comes down to taste, it was a minor niggle on some great pics. I bet the parents were over the moon.

It is indeed :)

Yep, they love them and one of her friends has asked about some pics too for her little 'un :D

love the yawn and the one with Mum. Personally, I can't stand babies with dummies - not a shot I would want. If the parents love them, that's all that matters.

Love no 2. Great pics, any mum would love these to keep.

Thank you, I do love no.2 aswell :)

love the yawn and the one with Mum. Personally, I can't stand babies with dummies - not a shot I would want. If the parents love them, that's all that matters.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated :)

I know where you're coming from with the dummy shots, but he just seemed more peaceful with it in. Surprisingly though, No.5 they want on canvas! :)

2 and 5 are my faves, however No1 has a really peculiar reflection in bub's left eye, a vertical line???
Just my totally non expert tuppence :shrug:

2 and 5 are my faves, however No1 has a really peculiar reflection in bub's left eye, a vertical line???
Just my totally non expert tuppence :shrug:

Thanks Matty :)

Its the young 'uns cot in the reflection. Whats the best way to block out reflections in eyes? Anyone know?

I would have thought a nice ring flash, but there again these are 00's of quid :(

Really wouldn't advise a ring flash for baby shots tbh.

Rob, I ll go though these later and c&c when im at the computer. How did u light these?

Thank you Matthew, would appreciate it.

Most were natural light from the window, but I struggled to find somewhere nice in the room with good light, it was either too harsh or too shady. I used did bounce some flash on some but cant remember which, would have to check exif.

I don't really have any lighting equipment but I am interested in learning how to use lighting better and invest in some equipment.

Really nice pics. I have just had a baby boy yesterday and will no doubt be doing the same just as soon as I get him out of the hospital! He has a little jaundice currently so awaiting blood test results. On another note, may I ask how you put your signature onto the pictures? I have a 550d canon and in the settings I can add a copyright etc but I'm not quite sure where this is displayed. Did you just add it to the picture using software later on?

Really nice pics. I have just had a baby boy yesterday and will no doubt be doing the same just as soon as I get him out of the hospital! He has a little jaundice currently so awaiting blood test results. On another note, may I ask how you put your signature onto the pictures? I have a 550d canon and in the settings I can add a copyright etc but I'm not quite sure where this is displayed. Did you just add it to the picture using software later on?

Thank you :) I hope all is ok with your little boy.

I add my name onto the photo using photoshop elements, I just use the text tool and select the font I like (I got it off dafont.co.uk) and write in my name. :D

I love the composition, but I think a little more contrast would be nice :)

Cheers
Alex

Thanks Alex.

I love contrast and most of the time probably add too much. But this time I went the other way to try and create a nice soft light style image. :)

Hi Mank. After much trial and error I have installed Lightroom 3.4 which edits watermarks. I visited dafont and have installed various fonts I like. Everything works a treat but for some reason I cannot figure out how to keep the watermark looking crystal clear when the image is enlarged? Any ideas?

Hi Mank. After much trial and error I have installed Lightroom 3.4 which edits watermarks. I visited dafont and have installed various fonts I like. Everything works a treat but for some reason I cannot figure out how to keep the watermark looking crystal clear when the image is enlarged? Any ideas?

Do you stick the watermark on when you have finished editing the pic?

I'm not sure how it works on Lightroom, maybe stick up a thread in post processing section?

Good all round effort I think.

Nice use of DOF in 1,3 & 5 with 3 being my favourite. I'm a fan of B&W anyway.

Like others have said, i'm not a huge fan of dummies either but each to their own. That doesn't make them bad shots though (y)

Thank you Pete :)

Most was with my 35mm f1.8 (if not all of them).

I would have liked them more without the dummy, but he had it in at the time (I didn't want to be the one to take it away from him and upset him) and I was just firing away with the camera :LOL:

I would have liked them more without the dummy, but he had it in at the time (I didn't want to be the one to take it away from him and upset him) and I was just firing away with the camera :LOL:

I know what you mean mate, last thing you want is a screaming baby !! :LOL:

Look forward to seeing some more.

Yes I put the watermark on after editing the pic. However I need to double check this now as I have realized that in lightroom when you have added the watermark it defaults to saving the image at a lower quality (in order to send to others via email) maybe I will try again saving it at 100% and see if it comes out clearer

Liking the pic's and processing. More contrast would change the light and 'airy' feel to the shots i think. I've done a few kids portraits myself and the ones where one eye is in focus then the other blurred I don't like. I seem to be the first to mention this so I'm assuming I'm a minority but since doing this myself early on I've tried to keep enough DOF in the shot to keep both eyes in focus.
MJ

I see you met my little lad then peeps, I like the photos Mank did I do like the light airy feel to them makes them feel more gentle and fragile just like a baby is.

The pics have been on face book and every one has comment on the pic and some friends have asked who's done the pic. In my eyes he's done a great job for a baby shoot

Cheers mank

Back