Jerky video

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I rarely take any video clips but when I do, they are always jerky. I have watched various YouTube videos on the subject but still can't see to get a decent video when I am moving the camera. I have a Canon 80D so limited to 1080 which isn't an issue given the amount of time I use video, and I have tried 60 FPS with a shutter speed of 1/125 and 25FPS with 1/50. I use manual and have set the appropriate aperture and ISO. I normally have my Canon 24-105 F4 L series lens on, and that's what I was using today in the garden to do some tests. If I am handheld and slowly pan around the garden, when I look back at the footage it just looks so jerky, it's also similar although not so noticeable if I have the camera on a tripod and I walk around the garden, my movement also shows as a little jerky. Any suggestions?

A gimbal might help to some degree, though practice helps more. And using a video editor that includes a deshake (or unshake) algorithm can, in some cases, practically eliminate it, albeit at the expense of losing pixels (and often a lot of them) around the edge of the frame. If you know you're going to use unshake you can shoot from further away to compensate.

Panning is quite tricky to get smooth. Even with a gimbal or simply sitting on a tripod head. Best bet is to pan very slowly. There are lots of other camera movements that will be easier to get smooth than panning. Gimbals are very versatile.

Back