"Jerky" Zoom ring on a Canon lens, any ideas?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening, I have an EF-S 18-135mm IS Nano USM lens, lovely lens but the zoom ring is not smooth. From about 50mm through to 135mm is very "jerky" when zooming in and out. I have a couple of STM lenses which are a smooth as silk! Any suggestions? Is there anything I can do?

Many thanks
Simon

Good evening, I have an EF-S 18-135mm IS Nano USM lens, lovely lens but the zoom ring is not smooth. From about 50mm through to 135mm is very "jerky" when zooming in and out. I have a couple of STM lenses which are a smooth as silk! Any suggestions? Is there anything I can do?

Many thanks
Simon
Yes, see if it's still under warranty and, if so, take it back to where you bought it from for investigation. (y)

It's a cheap lens. Sadly, in photography you get what you pay for; it will have been made with cheap components to keep the price down.

Use it until it seizes up completely (which it will), then buy a new one. Better still, buy a better one.

Any lens that doesn't run smoothly or that has tight spots on the focus or zoom ring should be avoided at all costs unless it's expensive enough to justify servicing.

It's a cheap lens. Sadly, in photography you get what you pay for; it will have been made with cheap components to keep the price down.

Use it until it seizes up completely (which it will), then buy a new one. Better still, buy a better one.

Any lens that doesn't run smoothly or that has tight spots on the focus or zoom ring should be avoided at all costs unless it's expensive enough to justify servicing.
From what I can see, it's a well thought of lens, so I doubt it shouldn't have any tight spots or obvious jerkiness on the zoom mechanism, and at a shade under £500 I wouldn't call it particularly cheap! From Simon's description it would seem that something is the matter with it.

As for price, I have a Canon 40mm STM pancake lens, which is just about the cheapest lens Canon sells but the build quality and finish is surprisingly good, and the image quality from it is amazing, so don't tar all non-L class lenses with the same brush. There have been instances of pro-class lenses going wrong too, so laying out a lot of money is still no absolute guarantee against component malfunction or failure.

Last edited:
at a shade under £500 I wouldn't call it particularly cheap!

Like I said, 'It's a cheap lens.' There's one here for £249.00 BTW - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-s-18-135mm-f35-56-is-usm-lens-nano-4665-p.asp

Yes, there is something wrong with it; of course there is. It's faulty due to cheap parts that haven't stood up to the use it's had. If it's still under warranty, your advice is sound. If it's not under warranty, then mine is.

I have lost count of the amount of lenses I've had/used over the last forty plus years, but one thing has remained constant. Quality costs and although some cheaper stuff 'surprises' occasionally it's not something one should come to expect.

Like I said, 'It's a cheap lens.' There's one here for £249.00 BTW - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-s-18-135mm-f35-56-is-usm-lens-nano-4665-p.asp

Yes, there's one there, if you want a grey import 'white box' lens that's been stripped from a kit. Not really a fair retail price comparison there, is it! No, a consumer grade lens often won't stand up to the same level (and conditions) of use as a pro-quality one, but that doesn't mean pro-quality lenses are immune from component failure either. Yes, it might be less common but it should be as they cost two or four times the price! Yes, L-series lenses are very nice, I have some, but unfortunately not everyone can afford them and not everyone needs that level of build quality either. Sorry, but your comment did come over a being a bit elitist - let them eat cake style.

I'm really pleased that it's under warranty so you'll be able to get it replaced. :)

Sarcasm however, in whatever form is unnecessary. You can't drive a Ford and expect it to be a Rolls Royce.

I struggled for many, many years on a tight budget where something else always took priority. It's only now that I've retired and my family have all grown up and there is no mortgage that I can afford to buy better camera gear. Your turn will come . . .

Thank you for all the advice. It looks like the "cheap" lens, that took me a good few months to save up for, will be going back to Wex as it is still under warranty.
I hope they'll replace it for you, or at least get to the bottom of the issue and fix it. Even Rolls Royce and Bentley will have warranty claims from time to time, so perhaps take some comfort in that. :)

Sorry, but your comment did come over a being a bit elitist - let them eat cake style.

My apologies - that certainly wasn't my intention. I've been a 'teacher' for most of my life, so perhaps my didactic tendencies got the better of me. :facepalm:

In that case, I'll say no more other than the truth hurts sometimes.

My apologies - that certainly wasn't my intention. I've been a 'teacher' for most of my life, so perhaps my didactic tendencies got the better of me. :facepalm:
No problem, that's one of the main faults with written message forums, the tone of the post is open to the interpretation of the reader. I know what you mean about quality being remembered after the price is forgotten, but if you can't afford something then it's sensible to compromise rather than agonise over it and get into debt, there's also the question of being realistic and thinking how much you'd actually use something.

I'd have loved a Canon EF 100-400 IS L MkII zoom, but at over £1500 for UK stock (even with a cash-back offer) I couldn't justify it. So I settled on a mint, used, Sigma Contemporary version and saved myself over £1,000! The build quality seems very nice, the image quality is surprisingly good now I've calibrated the focus, and it's not broken on me yet, but then again, I don't use it very often - which was the reason I bought it! So it's horses for courses. If I were a pro and used the stuff every day then I'd have a 5D iv and the 100-400 L, but I'm not, so have to compromise. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
Thank you for all the advice. It looks like the "cheap" lens, that took me a good few months to save up for, will be going back to Wex as it is still under warranty.

Great stuff. It may be inconvenient and a hassle but at least it's under warranty :D

I have some old film era lenses and over the years the movement of some has become gritty and I even had one that jammed completely. It used to cost me about £70 to have them serviced but I recently found a guy who does it for about £50 (assuming it's just a strip down, clean and lubrication rather than needing parts) which I think is very reasonable.

@sparker

How old is the lens?

The reason I ask is that I think there is (or was) something in consumer law about if there is a failure ~ a change in the zoom action from smooth to sticking, surely is a failure ~ within 6 months "you" have a right to a new replacement rather than be forced(?) to accept a repair under warranty.

PS I think what I mention above is related to the aspect in regard to "of merchantable quality" ?

Last edited:
Back