Jersey tiger caterpillar (maybe some can confirm this?)

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
Well I think it's a jersey tiger. I certainly get them here. It was merrily chomping its way through a veronica leaf and when I first looked at the photo, book in hand, I was a bit worried that it might have been one of the destructive tussock moths so I went back out, captured it and it sat in a huff in a jar on my desk while I consulted the internet (my book's a bit old and doesn't have the jersey tiger, but now that's the only tiger moth species I see). I'm not 100% on the ID, but it was all on its own so I put it back out on the veronica. Hopefully it won't eat the entire plant before it goes into hibernation...........

Jersey tiger caterpillar by Jannyfox, on Flickr

Lovely find and strange that the moth cats are more interesting than the butterfly cats, either way, this is a lovely find and the world is your oyster with t`internet.

Lovely find and strange that the moth cats are more interesting than the butterfly cats, either way, this is a lovely find and the world is your oyster with t`internet.

They certainly are interesting and there are some really lovely moths too. Took me ages to ID - usual problems of variability, similarity between species and few really good images because these guys are pretty small. I really hope I'm right on it as it's still happily munching ;) It would be nice to have a home bred JT next year but it'll probably be eaten when the blackbirds come back :(

Back