Jersey Tiger

Photodiva

Foot elevated on the stool
Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw this in the garden this morning. I live in Dartford, Kent, on the rim of the M25. Quite rare, I'm thinking?View attachment 16285

To see them in their millions, visit Petaloudes (valley of the butterflies) on Rhodes.

The books say they only occur in the UK in Devon & the Channel Islands but according to UK Moths they are expanding their range further along the south coast & there is a population in London. I get the odd one in my garden just a few miles north of the Devon border. They probably are a rarity for you & me but one we may see more of.
Millions sounds amazing.

I see Carol's from London so probably on the edge of their range. I haven't seen one here (Exeter) that I know of but have been to Petaloudes in September a few years ago and it was an incredible sight! Lovely and cool in the valley there while it was absolutely sweltering hot elsewhere. The peace was only occasionally shattered by some little br@ shouting to make them fly around when all they want to do there is rest and build up their strength for breeding (the adults don't feed so have to conserve their energy reserves as much as possible.) http://www.rhodos-travel.com/butterflies.htm

Back