Jessops 360AFD Digital Flashgun for Canon

cam1986

Suspended / Banned
Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
Jessops 360AFD Digital Flashgun for Canon

Looking to buy one 2nd hand for my 50D as i am starting a course soon. Are they rated highly? Can't afford too much at the mo as i need quite a few bits and bobs (Tripod, bag, another lens)

I had one for the Sony fit a few years back and it was ok. Definitely not worth the new price, I found I had underexposed shots and the high pitched wine got on my nerves! On a budget I'd look at a ttl based yongnuo (think model numbers like 468?) but check as some are manual only.

Last edited:
Right. Anyone else with some ideas then as i need a good flash for a course i am about to start in a couple of weeks.

They better than the Jessops one above? Which Metz?

I don't want to buy and then find out i should have got A instead of B. Cheers

I have a Jessops 360 AFD and I find it to be a great flash for the money I spent (£37 s/h). I use it for indoor portrait's and find being able to bounce it off walls a big bonus over the Canon 430 EX.

The Jessops does not have HSS, so find out whether you need that or not.

I have the jessops afd360 along side some other flashes and IMO they are superb, especially for the paltry asking price! Just use them properly.

I don't want to buy and then find out i should have got A instead of B.

That will happen anyway. And you haven't mentioned what specification the course may have set for the flash you need, or has it just said "a flash"? This type of thread could be so much more useful if a copy of the course equipment list was provided.

If you need ETTL, then I'd second the suggestion of buying the Yongnuo YN-468 new. I use one when I need ETTL. It has a reasonable power output, a good level of control, it's cheap and it hasn't let me down yet. Yongnuo also have newer model with Canon ETTL the YN-565EX, but I haven't tried this one.

If you don't need TTL, then if you want new again look at the Yongnuo range, but for secondhand the Canon 430EZ is a very useful manual flash.

Not sure if i will use TTL as not started the course yet.

All i want is a flash that will work 100% with the 50D and is a good one.

If this is a college course, wait until you start and see what the exact requirements are. Or use your phone, ring the course director and ask them. Seriously, they will have a much better idea of whet you require than anyone on an online forum.

If it's a short-duration evening class.. ring the course director and ask.

Saying all that, anyway, what would be a good flash to get that would work 100% with my 50D? I will be wanting to take pics of my family indoors quite a bit.

100% reliability and 100% compatibility, high build quality..
  • Canon Speedlite 270EX II; or
  • Canon Speedlite 320EX; or
  • Canon Speedlite 430EX II; or
  • Canon Speedlite 580EX II.

I'd personally go with one of the Yongnuo ETTL flashes ordered direct from Hong Kong and save some pennies, I can live with a degree of compromise.

Ringing the course director is the best option.

Last edited:
I'm very pleased with my AFD360, the only noticeable draw backs are the slow recharge time and all plastic build. The slow charge time doesn't bother me at all as I rarely use continuous shooting.

::edit fail below!::

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to pick up diffusers for the Jessops flash?

I know 7dayshop do some cheap diffusers, but not sure which one will fit the 360AFD.

Cheers

I used to have the Jessops flash on my 400D, it worked a charm. Does everything you'll need to get started, TTL auto and manual controls from full power down to 1/16th. Full swivel and bounce head, even had the little white card built in, which my 430EXII doesn't actually have lol.

I've upgraded to the 430EXII now to use with my 7D as it has the high speed sync and the ability to go wireless with my 7D, without the need for additional hardware.

Back