Jessops - do they all employ clueless staff?

Oh by the way that was the Portsmouth Store. The one in Guildford I know used to be pretty good and the staff were brilliant

I popped into the Inverness one just last week to have a grope of a 5d mkII as i'm looking to go FF from my 350d. Sadly none in stock so that scuppered the hands on The sales guy said they could order one for me but i'd most likely have to Pay upfront :eek: , but before i had chance to actually respond he then said They would open it up let me have a try and if i didnt want it they would full refund the price.

Overall dissapointed they didnt have one and the pay upfront just struck me as a bit odd for a stock item but opening up a new kit to let someone "decide" seemed more than fair and a shame they had no stock due the quoted price i would have been prepared to part with the cash right there in all honesty.

Gary
Still looking for the deal that i cant resist

I popped into the Inverness one just last week to have a grope of a 5d mkII as i'm looking to go FF from my 350d. Sadly none in stock so that scuppered the hands on The sales guy said they could order one for me but i'd most likely have to Pay upfront :eek: , but before i had chance to actually respond he then said They would open it up let me have a try and if i didnt want it they would full refund the price.

Overall dissapointed they didnt have one and the pay upfront just struck me as a bit odd for a stock item but opening up a new kit to let someone "decide" seemed more than fair and a shame they had no stock due the quoted price i would have been prepared to part with the cash right there in all honesty.

Gary
Still looking for the deal that i cant resist

Ah, the Inverness store. I remember popping in there about 25 years ago for some Kodachrome 64. They didn't have any but the assistant did offer me Kodachrome 40 which would have been fine if I had a cine camera. Another time, in Chelmsford, I was told they didn't have any 120 Velvia but the 135 would "fit any camera." Technically the young girl was correct in this particular instance, because I did indeed have a 135 panoramic back for my Bronica, but it wasn't what I wanted. On both ocassions I should have said, "I'll take it, could you load a roll in my camera for me, please?" :D

I find it quite strange how every time the Jessops thing comes up , there is a huge response, either to attack them or defend them ( Marmite comes to mind). This company is a high street set up, that has undergone so many ups and downs in recent years, yet still keeps going - tells you something about their will to survive. I am sure that Tescos has the same feedback, good one, bad one, great staff , bad staff.

I think that if you want an expert level of knowledge and great service, the best thing you could do is to go to an independant, who will no doubt appreciate your custom.

But there again ,you would have to pay his prices, so inevitably people drift off to go online, and 'pop' there goes abnother independant high street dealer. You cannot have it all ways. Price and service.

Back