Jessops - Never Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, it'd be nice if they did that, but they do not have to.

Ive actually just been on the phone to trading standards and they said "If you paid with cash you are entitled to cash back. If you paid with card you are not entitled to cash back. And if you paid with cheque you have to wait until the cheque cleared and then you are entitled to cash back.

And also if it is not fit for the purpose then i AM entitled to a refund in an appropriate amount of time that is not decided by law. (in other words go back after a month and they will say no. Go back a few hours later and its obvious it hasnt been used, abused and then trying to get money back)

Dapprman, you seem to think that its jessops being terribly nice by refunding me at all. Jessops customer service is appaling. Thats perhaps why they try to entice people with the no quibble 30 day money back guarantee to get people to spend there at all.

Last edited:
I agree, I wouldn't expect to get a refund on a card, but then I wouldn't really expect cash either. If there was nothing wrong with the camera I think I would have expected a credit note against a further purchase.

Changing your mind isn't grounds for refund under the sale of goods act for face to face selling as far as I'm aware.

Oh yes it is. In fact you will find that by the EU consumer laws you can return the product if you don't like it (as simple as that) within specified timeframe. Jessops actuallyu clearly states this in their T&C on their website where you are given 30 days to change your mind. So there is nothing wrong with changing your mind and returning it for a full refund...

And also if it is not fit for the purpose then i AM entitled to a refund in an appropriate amount of time that is not decided by law. (in other words go back after a month and they will say no. Go back a few hours later and its obvious it hasnt been used, abused and then trying to get money back)

But it wasnt' not fit for purpose. You bought a camera, which it is. You didn't buy a magnesium bodied camera. Therefore, it's not Jessops fault that either your nephew is ungrateful or you didn't buy what he wanted. That mistake lies purely with your family.

Oh yes it is. In fact you will find that by the EU consumer laws you can return the product if you don't like it (as simple as that) within specified timeframe. Jessops actuallyu clearly states this in their T&C on their website where you are given 30 days to change your mind. So there is nothing wrong with changing your mind and returning it for a full refund...

Yes for distance selling (as highlighted above) which is why it is in their website T&C for web sales...

But it wasnt' not fit for purpose. You bought a camera, which it is. You didn't buy a magnesium bodied camera. Therefore, it's not Jessops fault that either your nephew is ungrateful or you didn't buy what he wanted. That mistake lies purely with your family.

comment removedI bought it thinking it would be fit for his purpose. It wasnt so returned it. So....... IT WASNT FIT FOR PURPOSE! :bang:

Law is there to protect the consumer. Go and read about it :rules:

Last edited by a moderator:
At that point I'd have told him to go and buy his own $£&^ing camera!!!!

Well i was a bit annoyed with nephew as talking to him is like talking to a brick wall. Magnesium body this and magnesium body that. I told him for starters it is useless to him but he wouldnt listen

Ive actually just been on the phone to trading standards and they said "If you paid with cash you are entitled to cash back. If you paid with card you are not entitled to cash back. And if you paid with cheque you have to wait until the cheque cleared and then you are entitled to cash back.

Dapprman, you seem to think that its jessops being terribly nice by refunding me at all. Jessops customer service is appaling. Thats perhaps why they try to entice people with the no quibble 30 day money back guarantee to get people to spend there at all.
Point 1. Entitled, not must be - also suspect you got a junior at trading standards, but never mind.

Point 2. It was fit for purpose, it was your requirements that turned out to be wrong - ergo you have no legal leg to stand on, just good will.

Point 3. I'm playing neither side here. Jessops could have been a lot more helpful, but from what you've said, you sound like you were an arse at the time. For all I know it may have been a very polite request from your part and an awkward salesdriod on the other - it's always hard to tell on forums.

I bought it thinking it would be fit for his purpose. It wasnt so returned it. So....... IT WASNT FIT FOR PURPOSE! :bang:

some one needs to calm down i think

fit for purpose does not included not good enough for ungrateful nephews

#

Goods should be of satisfactory quality and as described.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 ensures goods should be of satisfactory quality and fit to do the job intended for them. Fit for purpose means both generally e.g. hi-fi speakers should play music but also specifically for any purpose you've asked. E.g. if you've asked ‘will they fit my Hitachi Hi-fi?', and been told yes, but it doesn't then it wasn't fit for the purpose specified.

so if you specifically asked for a magnisium bodied camera then you are in the right as the camera you were sold was not "fit for purpose"

i'm guessing that the branch didn't have £355 cash in the till.

i used to work in retail and it makes me giggle when customers used to come in at 5 past 9 in the morning and demand a £300 cash refund.
Like i'm going to wipe out my float to satisfy your indecision :LOL:

another favourite of mine was customers who stand there and declare that they know their rights when 9 times out of 10, they haven't got a clue :LOL:

relax it's done
move on (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes for distance selling (as highlighted above) which is why it is in their website T&C for web sales...

Nop - not only. I bought a D200 there long time ago and was given a booklet with those very same T&C applicable to the whole Jessops franchise. It means I can walk into any Jessops store and return the item within 30 days for any reason. Which I did successfully exercise at that time I must say so I have a practical example of this working well...

Last edited:
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one standing up for Jessops here.

Their methods may have seemed a bit odd but it is a very good deal that you can return the goods if unwanted, you can't fault them for that. I think because that is offered by many big chains for all sorts of goods people start to think it is a right, but it isn't.

Point 1. Entitled, not must be - also suspect you got a junior at trading standards, but never mind.

Point 2. It was fit for purpose, it was your requirements that turned out to be wrong - ergo you have no legal leg to stand on, just good will.

Point 3. I'm playing neither side here. Jessops could have been a lot more helpful, but from what you've said, you sound like you were an arse at the time. For all I know it may have been a very polite request from your part and an awkward salesdriod on the other - it's always hard to tell on forums.

Okay,

What have i said that makes you think i was being an arse at the time?

Was it me asking for my cash back that i handed over?

Was it asking them to refund me as they are supposed to?

Was it the way i looked?

Was it the way i went mad at being told lies by silly sales staff who guessed on things they had no idea of?

You tell me how you would have been , having been lied to.

Entitled means i am well within my rights to ask for a refund.

Are you on some medication??? I bought it thinking it would be fit for his purpose. It wasnt so returned it. So....... IT WASNT FIT FOR PURPOSE! :bang:

Thanks for your concern but my health is fine...

It was fit for purpose as it wasn't missold. It was mis-bought. That is your responsibility.

I do believe Jessops policy is to refund and you should have been refunded cash as you paid cash, however it is not your right in law.

Nop - not only. I bought a D200 there long time ago and was given a booklet with those very same T&C applicabpe to the whole Jessops franchise. It means I can walk into any Jessops store and return the item within 30 days for any reason. Which I did successfully exercise at that time I must say so I have apractical example of this working well...

I was refering to the EU Law bit. But I can't find these magic terms you refer to on Jessops.co.uk

Jessops said:
You have the right to cancel your order anytime prior to despatch and up to 14 days after you receive the goods.

Refers to online and doesn't say 30 days. In fact I can't see the shop T&C on the web - can you please show me these terms as I am interested in that option...

Okay,

What have i said that makes you think i was being an arse at the time?

Was it me asking for my cash back that i handed over?

Was it asking them to refund me as they are supposed to?

Was it the way i looked?

Was it the way i went mad at being told lies by silly sales staff who guessed on things they had no idea of?

You tell me how you would have been , having been lied to.

Entitled means i am well within my rights to ask for a refund.
I'm disparately trying not to make this sound personal or an attack, but please read the title you gave the thread, the change in tone as your first post continued and your tone when responding to myself and others. As I said in my previous post, for all I know you were very polite and proper and were hard done to by an awkward member of staff. I was not there so can not comment.

I do not know what the Jessops document says, I suspect it does not say that you'll get cash back. It does sound like you were given misinformation, and this has not helped here.

With Trading Standards, did you tell them that the camera was fine, or did you tell them it was not fit for purpose ? As others as well as myself have pointed out, if it weren't for the Jessops T&Cs document they'd have no legal reason to accept the camera back and return your cash. I suspect the T&Cs have some escape clauses in them some where (small print and all that), I don't have a copy and I'm not a contracts lawyer.

The key thing here is they have taken the camera back and you have been fully refunded, just neither as quick, nor in the manner you had hoped for (oh and with you being told some thing wrong by a saleman).

No it's not - first line of the page you linked to...

Distance selling and online trading

"When selling to consumers by mail order, phone, fax, internet or digital TV"

So unless the op posted cash to Jessops or tried to stuff it down the modem then it doesn't apply ;)

I'd say the nephew, if there is one....;)

Are you trying to imply that i have some imaginary nephews? :wacky:

Refers to online and doesn't say 30 days. In fact I can't see the shop T&C on the web - can you please show me these terms as I am interested in that option...

The conditions of sale for online sales are there, but not, as far as I can see, the terms for shop sales.

However a general google comes up with lots on the subject so the 30 day return things does appear to be part of their offer for shop sales.

If so that makes it a right when purchasing from Jessops, but it isn't a right conferred on people by the EU or the Sale of Goods act as far as I'm aware. Perhaps somebody can prove me wrong.

It is part of dealing with Jessops on their terms, and not something anybody forced them into, and it seems a generous deal to me.

Wow, this has got a bit heated! :eek:

I really don't think the entitlement to a refund is an issue here as Jessops didn't quibble over it but I do think that if a 30 day refund policy is offered (Which it is as I have one of their receipts in front of me) then they have to honour it and you would have a legal case against them if they didn't as it would amount to a breach of contract.

As for the refund itself, I would say I would expect cash if I paid by cash as long as they had the amount in the shop. If not then I'm sure an arrangement could be made where the customer could revisit when the cash is available. There are still many people in this country who have neither a credit or debit card.

They had the cash as i paid with cash. Its over now anyway. I wont spend there again so i wont get this angry again.

Are you on some medication??? I bought it thinking it would be fit for his purpose. It wasnt so returned it. So....... IT WASNT FIT FOR PURPOSE! :bang:

The legal term "fit for purpose" means that in this case the camera should be able to be used for the purpose it is sold for, in this case for taking pictures.

Reading through your posts it is all too apparent that any "error" lies squarely at your feet and if you took the same attitude with Jessops as you have displayed here then I'm not surprised you ended up getting messed around...

Flashinthepan,

How does it lie at my feet when others on here are agreeing with me. I paid cash i wanted cash back. Simple as that.

You dont have enough credability in my mind for your silly comments to make an impact.

You seem to think that my nephew doesnt exist and i made this whole story up?:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:

Do you really expect people to care what you say?

I dont. Go and play in your pen.:baby:

Last edited:
Jessops should have refunded you cash if the product wasn't fit for purpose, in this instance, you weren't actually LEGALLY obliged to a refund. Jessops usually refund Card - Card, Cash - Cash, but if there is literally no money in the till (a £100 float is kept in) then it is physically impossible to refund you £355 cash since there probably won't be that much money in the till towards the end of the day.

I really find it absurd the amount people whine about shops.

For example, price changes.

You see something online that has had a pricing error, you buy it, and they CANCEL YOUR ORDER telling you it's out of stock. "OH WELL" you say. "NEVER MIND" you say.

In a shop, pricing error?
LIGHT YOUR TORCHES AND SHARPEN YOUR PITCHFORKS!

Flashinthepan,

How does it lie at my feet when others on here are agreeing with me. I paid cash i wanted cash back. Simple as that.

You dont have enough credability in my mind for your silly comments to make an impact.

You seem to think that my nephew doesnt exist and i made this whole story up?:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:

It's impossible to judge,given that we only have one side of the story.

Personally I've never had any bother getting a refund from Jessops, if I've paid cash then I've been returned cash, if I've paid by card then they've returned it to my card.

If it was me I wouldn't have left the store without my cash -it's highly unlikely that a Jessops branch wouldn't have a few hundred pounds in the till (unless as FP notes it was right at the end of the day), which suggests that there is more to this that your letting on and your petulant responses only serve to lend credibility to this train of thought.

Last edited:
Foodpoison,

They did have the cash as i had paid cash for it at 11am and went back at 3:45pm the same day!

Its the fact i got lied to just to get the refund on my card. Once i kicked up a bit of fuss the girl made it personal and went out of her way to be unhelpful.

It's impossible to judge,given that we only have one side of the story.

Personally I've never had any bother getting a refund from Jessops, if I've paid cash then I've been returned cash, if I've paid by card then they've returned it to my card.

If it was me I wouldn't have left the store without my cash -it's highly unlikely that a Jessops branch wouldn't have a few hundred pounds in the till, which suggests that there is more to this that your letting on and your petulant responses only serve to lend credibility to this train of thought.

Perhaps one day i can grow up to be as tough as you :clap:

So youve totally changed your way of thought on this then and having a go at me for something you would have done also?

You need to think about what you say before you make yourself look stupid.

Foodpoison,

They did have the cash as i had paid cash for it at 11am and went back at 3:45pm the same day!

Its the fact i got lied to just to get the refund on my card. Once i kicked up a bit of fuss the girl made it personal and went out of her way to be unhelpful.

Sorry mate but how do you know they had the cash?
What if they had to refund someone cash who bought a £400 camera at 3:15pm?
You don't know their side of the argument, and considering you weren't legally entitled to a refund in the first place you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I totally agree that it kinda sucks that Jessops refunded back to card, especially now that you're out of pocket, but as anyone who works part-time in a shop would no doubt say:
1) as long as they're getting paid at the end of the day, they don't care what happens to the company's money. It would be no skin off her teeth whether she gave you a refund in cash or onto card, so it's likely they physically didn't have the cash in the drawers.
2) if a customer is extremely rude, why should we go out of our way to help you? If something is wrong, being an arse about it won't get it fixed. Because I'm a good employee, if someone is rude to me, I just ignore them and get on with my job. then bitch when they leave. People in post offices, bars, etc won't take abuse, so why should shop staff take it?

Last edited:
Never actually managed to buy any thing at a Jessops in the last few years.
When they did second hand I had a Mint Olympus 50mm1.4 sent from another branch... still got it. They are no longer real Camera stores.

So youve totally changed your way of thought on this then and having a go at me for something you would have done also?

Err...no. What I'm saying is that if things happened as you said, I personally wouldn't have left the store without my cash.

As for
You need to think about what you say before you make yourself look stupid

You really need to go back and read some of your own histrionics on this thread before suggesting that anyone else is making themselves look stupid....;)

Never actually managed to buy any thing at a Jessops in the last few years.
When they did second hand I had a Mint Olympus 50mm1.4 sent from another branch... still got it. They are no longer real Camera stores.

It's a shame isn't it. The jessops stores might as well be showrooms, we rarely have decent stock in our smaller store :(

Guildford is an extremely well stocked store, but then they do lots of sales.

Sorry mate but how do you know they had the cash?
What if they had to refund someone cash who bought a £400 camera at 3:15pm?
You don't know their side of the argument, and considering you weren't legally entitled to a refund in the first place you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I totally agree that it kinda sucks that Jessops refunded back to card, especially now that you're out of pocket, but as anyone who works part-time in a shop would no doubt say:
1) as long as they're getting paid at the end of the day, they don't care what happens to the company's money. It would be no skin off her teeth whether she gave you a refund in cash or onto card, so it's likely they physically didn't have the cash in the drawers.
2) if a customer is extremely rude, why should we go out of our way to help you? If something is wrong, being an arse about it won't get it fixed. Because I'm a good employee, if someone is rude to me, I just ignore them and get on with my job. then bitch when they leave. People in post offices, bars, etc won't take abuse, so why should shop staff take it?

It clearly states on the receipt you can take it back within 30 days in brand new condition.

So i was legally entitled to a refund

can i add fuel to the fire?:nuts:

i find a lot of these "issues" come down to attitude

for example

my Local Jessops the one i think is superb (as stated in my previous post) have held some flash stands for 3 weeks for me and last week wouldn't let me buy them because they thought there might be a further reduction :clap:

so today i sent wifey in and she bought them using her debit card for 75% off :woot:

meanwhile her heroic and rather dashing other half :naughty: went and got himself a parking ticket:bang:

things being tight at the moment, i rather cheekily went in to the store and asked if i could have a refund based on my crap parking.

"sure, no problem" was the welcome response and a cash refund was issued.
the flash stands are back on hold for another week and the traffic police will get their cash before i forget and it doubles.

but then i like them in my jessops and they get hours of entertainment from my photo shenanigans:p:D

shop work can be low paid and tedious, customers can be haughty, obnoxious and stupid.
A good member of staff will get past that and provide you with excellent CS, an average staffer will switch off and do the minimum to get you out of the store.

Last edited:
It clearly states on the receipt you can take it back within 30 days in brand new condition.

So i was legally entitled to a refund

That policay is not legal requirement. There will be a comment about at the managers discretion. Anything that valuable would normally only be refunded as store credit in Argos so getting the cash back is a bonus but I'm fairly sure that you're only meant to refund a card if it was paid by card and the same for cash.

:shrug:

Last edited:

:thinking:

You need to think about what you say before you make yourself look stupid.

Maybe you should practice what you preach. :wacky:

Yeah no worries , i can forward the pm's off him too to the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back