Jessops rant

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Just walked out of my local Jessops branch in Hereford pretty much disgusted. They have a Nikon 17-55 2.8 (the pro one) price marked £783, I asked If they had a new one in the box, not the display model at the same price.

The sales lad said he needed to check, another sales lad appeared only to tell me the price was wrong , they were now £999.00. I was a bit shocked by that and said can I have the display model for the marked price of £783 as indicated on it's price label, he said no as the price was wrong and will be altered to £999.00

Yes I was aware Nikon prices were about to be increased, but not while I was standing in the bloody shop. What a carry on when most retailers are dropping prices Jessops do the opposite. (Don't mention the Japanese Yen)

I supported my local branch since my film days but recently they seem to put customer satisfaction lower on the list. I'll not set foot across their door again ever.
Had same problem when asking for a price on the new D90 when it was launched and ended up walking away over a price discrepancy.

Me thinks Jessops fate is sealed in their own unprofessional attitude.
Rant over/

I know exactly what you mean. A couple of months ago, I was going to buy one of those pathetic compact table tripods. The price was 6.99 so I went to the counter and the guy there scanned it into the till and it came up with the price, 6.99. But he said "I think they've actually gone up in price a bit". So he went off and when he came back he said that it was £18! :wacky: So, of course, I didn't buy it. I just buy things on-line now.

Unfortunately retailers are putting their prices UP at the moment. Lens prices seem to have particularly shot up recently. Unfortunately it looks like this branch are particularly lax when it comes to adjusting display prices.

I know it's bloody annoying but it's perfectly within their rights... price labels are technically just an invitation, it's only once they have agreed a price with you at point of sale (usually by accepting your wonga) that the price is fixed.

You'd think in these times though that they might be a bit more careful.

Well one you should have pushed that the lens was advertised at £783 and by law they have to sell it at that price. Your other option is to get them to price match as there are loads of places that sell the lens cheaper.

It would be a good idea if people sent Jessops an email than just ranting in Forums

In these difficult trading times,Jessops need to encourage customers or go under as they have been struggling of late. You will take your custom elsewhere, their loss.

Well one you should have pushed that the lens was advertised at £783 and by law they have to sell it at that price. Your other option is to get them to price match as there are loads of places that sell the lens cheaper.

It would be a good idea if people sent Jessops an email than just ranting in Forums

I am no expert on civil law but are you sure that they have to sell it at that price if they advertise it as such. I was sure, as already said, that this is just and invitation to purchase and not a binding contract? Any solicitors on the forum can offer a (free :LOL:) opinion?

Well one you should have pushed that the lens was advertised at £783 and by law they have to sell it at that price.

Wrong! The price label is an invitation to treat, not a contract of sale. A retailer is within their right to remove the item from sale, then replace it at the correct price.

It is just an "invitation to treat" under English contract law, so they were within their rights, but it's probably not the best attitude to take - most shops would go with the ticket price for goodwill sake.

In fairness to Jessops though, I think that it is Nikon themselves that have introduced the price rises.

Any trader has the right to refuse your offer of business [eg: say "No thanks"] when you wish to make a sale. However, NOT selling something for the marked price without taking it off of sale for a period of time I think, is illegal.

I only ever use Jessops when I have to, and generally then they don't have what I want in stock, or know anything about it. They are much more like Currys/Dixons these days than a photography shop - aiming at a pure consumer rather than the enthusiast.

Steve

Any trader has the right to refuse your offer of business [eg: say "No thanks"] when you wish to make a sale. However, NOT selling something for the marked price without taking it off of sale for a period of time I think, is illegal.

There is no set time. It can be just removed from sale, a correct sale ticket produced, then placed back on sale. In fact, they don't even have to put a ticket up, one of my pet hates in shop by the way.

I think we have got so used to prices always coming down and things getting cheaper. But ultimately that is why so many high st stores are going out of business, they are selling at a loss or so low a margin that they cannot make an overall profit.

I suspect those days may be gone for a while at least.

I only ever use Jessops when I have to, and generally then they don't have what I want in stock, or know anything about it. They are much more like Currys/Dixons these days than a photography shop - aiming at a pure consumer rather than the enthusiast.

Steve

That is only true if they are reducing the price as a 'sale' item, i think! :shrug:

how much can you pick this lens up from online now?

annoying, and yes i would be annoyed and done the same thing and walk.

Yes i was mistaken although,the shop could be breaking the law and risk prosecution by the Trading Standards Department. The Consumer Protection Act says it's illegal to sell things for a higher price. If the shop has made a genuine mistake, and can prove the wrong price ticket was put on by accident, they may not face criminal action.

I will ad that if people simply go elsewhere and dont complain, shortly the high streets are going to become ghost towns so trying out equipment before purchase will be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
I had a similar incident in PC World yesterday. I saw a monitor I quite liked, on the way to the till, I noticed that on the clearance table they had exactly the same monitor but unboxed with a sticker saying 'At least 40% discount'. I took the unboxed to the till to find it was the same price as the boxed one. Despite a chat with the Manager, there was no further reduction so I left without either.

It will be a long time before I go back to PC World (again). A small discount on the unboxed one would have got rid of it with goodwill. Thinking now that I really don't need a bigger monitor and that iMac is a small step closer!

Chris

What frustrated me most about this scenario is the fact prices are going up because the prices they have to buy the stock in at are rising.

However the lens you went to look at was bought in at earlier prices so the could have sold it at the marked price and not made a loss.

Very poor service IMO that is.

Yes but why does the consumer have to be a retail law expert while attempting to engage with a sales person, it makes no sense. The item was not withdrawn from sale but given a verbal price hike with the customer (me) in attendance.

That is just total unprofessional ism by the staff member in my book. It really is sad to see Jessops going down this road with so many other competitors snapping at the customers heels in this current economic climate.

Well the search for my new lens continues :)

The Consumer Protection Act says it's illegal to sell things for a higher price.

Sorry not with you there. :thinking:

As I said, the retailer just has to remove it from sale, then replace at the correct price.

What frustrated me most about this scenario is the fact prices are going up because the prices they have to buy the stock in at are rising.

However the lens you went to look at was bought in at earlier prices so the could have sold it at the marked price and not made a loss.

Yes, have to agree that it is often a con in that the stock they put up in price, they have probably had in the stock room for a few weeks and was therefor bought at a lower price in the first place.

Yes but why does the consumer have to be a retail law expert while attempting to engage with a sales person, it makes no sense. The item was not withdrawn from sale but given a verbal price hike with the customer (me) in attendance.

That is just total unprofessional ism by the staff member in my book. It really is sad to see Jessops going down this road with so many other competitors snapping at the customers heels in this current economic climate.

Well the search for my new lens continues :)

The point is that if you were to insist on the advertised price the they were entitled to withdraw the lens from sale. But legally right doesn't always mean morally right.

I ordered a sony 18-200 nearly 3 weeks ago fron Jessops, they keep telling me it is in transit and will arrive at the store on Monday. I hope they don't up the price when it arrives as it was ordered over the phone and not paid for yet.

Yes Fabs as you said, although there could be circumstances that you might be able to prove the retailer is trying to con you, but not in this case.

I thought about that also, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lens still belonged to Nikon, dunno how Jessops do business but I just don't see them buying equipment outright and then hoping to sell with their mark-up.
Whatever, the chances are it was manufactured during a time when everything was cheaper, dunno how anyone could argue that point with Nikon through Jessops.

I thought about that also, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lens still belonged to Nikon, dunno how Jessops do business but I just don't see them buying equipment outright and then hoping to sell with their mark-up.
Whatever, the chances are it was manufactured during a time when everything was cheaper, dunno how anyone could argue that point with Nikon through Jessops.

If it's like any other high street retailer, they will buy the stock in, pay for it and then sell to the customer.

If it's like any other high street retailer, they will buy the stock in, pay for it and then sell to the customer.

I would think they have credit terms with suppliers / head office:

get the stock in, sell it, then pay for it.

Assuming a prompt turnover of some items. Obviously some things linger...

I would think they have credit terms with suppliers / head office:

get the stock in, sell it, then pay for it.

Assuming a prompt turnover of some items. Obviously some things linger...

Stock would be ordered at a given price, delivered and paid for within credit terms, meaning that some suppliers may request payment within 7 days of delivery/invoice, others may be up to 60 days after. But the price paid to the supplier would be as at the time of ordering.

I know retailers that act like agents for manufacturers, they don't actually buy the stock, they do business on a sale or return basis, or a lump sum up front as a deposit/guarantee until the stock is sold.
Might not be that common with the big chains, but in the current economic climate with banks not lending money, it could become more widespread.

Typical Jessops i guess for the most part operated by Muppet's, i was more surprised at the price hike £216 :eek: seems a hell of a price rise.

I know retailers that act like agents for manufacturers, they don't actually buy the stock, they do business on a sale or return basis, or a lump sum up front as a deposit/guarantee until the stock is sold.
Might not be that common with the big chains, but in the current economic climate with banks not lending money, it could become more widespread.

It's a possibility I suppose, but having worked in Purchase Ledger for 12 years I know the suppliers, or their agents, want their money ASAP and the amount of stock that the big chains buy in would only accentuate that.

Ask to actually hold the lens, to see how heavy it is etc......
then just walk (or run) out with it.

If their security is as good as their customer care, you will be fine.

Yes i was mistaken although,the shop could be breaking the law and risk prosecution by the Trading Standards Department. The Consumer Protection Act says it's illegal to sell things for a higher price. If the shop has made a genuine mistake, and can prove the wrong price ticket was put on by accident, they may not face criminal action.

:thinking:

Actually, the CPA says that businesses must not give consumers misleading price indications, but you would have to prove that they did so intentionally. The fact that there had just been a price rise would more than likely negate such a claim as the store simply has to say that it was an accident that the price label hadn't been changed.

I suggest that you quit your job as a commercial lawyer. Your statement is not true.

Gah!!! beaten to it.

Curiously, or maybe not, Jessops were reported has having an improved turn over in the pre-xmas sales, probably explained by them paring profit margins down to the bearest minimum. Sadly high turn over does not indicate a profitable business when the pennies are finally added up and turnover too will drop if they ar lax in customer service and altering shelf prices before a customer actually wants to buy the item.

I'm fairly sure the inviation to trade bit only applies to items on display in the window, items priced up in the shop have to be sold at the marked price. Of course they can refuse to sell you the goods, but upsetting their customer base at a time like this (when they are already struggling) maybe isn't a really great plan.
Over the years I have seen Jessops go from average to terrible, their staff used to be keen photographers who knew their stuff, now sadly I can't say the same (at my store anyway) the guys there have no idea about the goods they are selling, they will just say whatever comes into their head if you ask them a question about something.
I'm afraid I gave up a while ago, I'll pop in for odd's and sods, but I wouldn't buy anything like a camera or lens from them. Wayne

Just walked out of my local Jessops branch in Hereford pretty much disgusted. They have a Nikon 17-55 2.8 (the pro one) price marked £783, I asked If they had a new one in the box, not the display model at the same price.

The sales lad said he needed to check, another sales lad appeared only to tell me the price was wrong , they were now £999.00. I was a bit shocked by that and said can I have the display model for the marked price of £783 as indicated on it's price label, he said no as the price was wrong and will be altered to £999.00

Yes I was aware Nikon prices were about to be increased, but not while I was standing in the bloody shop. What a carry on when most retailers are dropping prices Jessops do the opposite. (Don't mention the Japanese Yen)

I supported my local branch since my film days but recently they seem to put customer satisfaction lower on the list. I'll not set foot across their door again ever.
Had same problem when asking for a price on the new D90 when it was launched and ended up walking away over a price discrepancy.

Me thinks Jessops fate is sealed in their own unprofessional attitude.
Rant over/

Don't blame Jessops. I was in the local Antics store in Worcester before xmas and was told by them Nikon were increasing prices,he would let me have a Nikkor 70-300 VR lens for £325,so onto the web I went and found the best price £298.Jessops £315,but I included a voucher for £20 as well that I also found so deal made at £295.Just checked now and the same item is £369.Nikon must be sure they can keep sales going after these huge increases:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure the inviation to trade bit only applies to items on display in the window, items priced up in the shop have to be sold at the marked price.

No a price sticker is an invitation to treat, not an offer. It's a subtle but crucial difference. It's only when the shop accepts your offer that you have a contract, eg:

You: "I'd like to buy this lens please"
Them: "Certainly, that'll be £500" please"

At that point they have accepted your offer - consumers normally make the offer, not the retailer.

In terms of customer service it's a little hard for the retailer to swallow such a big difference. If it had been a few quid they might have accepted it out of goodwill.

To fight any claim the price was misleading the store needs to show they've taken reasonable steps to prevent errors, that's reasonable not exceptional. Demonstrating their procedures would normally be enough.

Back